Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italy Trip in march

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by newfrequent
Hi,

My partner had booked an 2 week anniversary trip to Sydney, Hamilton Island (Qualia even after I made him read MacMyDays review) and then Melbourne. We had to cancel this due him getting a bit ill so the long haul flights wouldn't work anymore. However he really needs the break, we're looking to head to Italy on Friday and I thought I'd see if the ever knowledgeable luxury forum had some recommendations .

- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?

Many thanks!
The wife and I stayed at the Gritti Palace last July for two nights prior to a cruise. We used points to book a Sestiere suite and were upgraded to a fantastic Serenissima suite! The Gritti Palace is close to all the major attractions, the restaurants and bars serve superb food and drink and the service is professional. We booked a train online at trenitalia from Venice to Naples (and then the Amalfi coast) and rode in executive class. Executive class was well worth the extra money as there were only eight cushy seats and you are served a meal and Prosecco. We had five pieces of luggage and had no problems. I would also recommend visiting the Almafi coast one day. We stayed at the Pietro di Positano and it was fantastic. You would need to visit later in the season as March is too early for Almafi and most of the hotels open in April.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moflav
We booked a train online at trenitalia from Venice to Naples (and then the Amalfi coast) and rode in executive class. Executive class was well worth the extra money as there were only eight cushy seats and you are served a meal and Prosecco. We had five pieces of luggage and had no problems.
that does look like a nice option with luggage. if traveling light, could compare to italo's club executive salotto 4-seat 'suite'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 10, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the incredible advice, he actually recovered and dragged me to Australia via Manchester!

I'm still planning a trip to Tuscany and Florence hopefully later this year so thank you for all the advice. I'll definitely check out Lupaia.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:57 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

In other news, Castello del Nero is now part of Como Hotels.
Interesting to see another international player in the Tuscan countryside, after Rosewood and Belmond.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:14 pm

For Rome, have not been to the Eden so am not in a position to make comparison but the JK Roma, a recommendation from chinmoylad, was great! Central location and such a beautiful lobby for one to lounge in and have a drink!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.