Wiki Posts
Search

Italy Trip in march

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Italy Trip in march

Hi,

My partner had booked an 2 week anniversary trip to Sydney, Hamilton Island (Qualia even after I made him read MacMyDays review) and then Melbourne. We had to cancel this due him getting a bit ill so the long haul flights wouldn't work anymore. However he really needs the break, we're looking to head to Italy on Friday and I thought I'd see if the ever knowledgeable luxury forum had some recommendations .

- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I have stayed in Eden, FS Florence and Gritti Palace, all are spectacular. I also recommend Il Salviatino in Florence which is out of the city and more rustic villa style - very relaxing.

Also look at Hotel de Russie for Rome - the gardens and courtyard are gorgeous. I have very fond memories of breakfast in that courtyard. I've stayed at both but prefer Eden.

I've never stayed in the Tuscany country side but I'm interested in Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco for the future.

I've never driven or got the train between them though.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by newfrequent
Hi,

My partner had booked an 2 week anniversary trip to Sydney, Hamilton Island (Qualia even after I made him read MacMyDays review) and then Melbourne. We had to cancel this due him getting a bit ill so the long haul flights wouldn't work anymore. However he really needs the break, we're looking to head to Italy on Friday and I thought I'd see if the ever knowledgeable luxury forum had some recommendations .

- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?

Many thanks!
I will do a relatively similar trip end of March/ April. In Rome I booked the Eden. 3 nights is not much. Eden runs a 4 for 3 promotion so perhaps this could be an option. In Florence I will stay at St. Regis this time, stayed at the FS in the past. While location of the StR is more central the FS is a very fine hotel. If walking is not a problem and itīs the first time I would tend to FS or if you from pictures both like equal choose by price. At Venice I booked Ca Sagredo and Aman. 2 nights Venice seems very short to me.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

We stayed at Castillo di Casole in Tuscany. It was a fine stay though it’s a bit disneyfied...

check out Lupaia. I think they just finished a renovation and it looks great.

Fdw
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:40 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Rosewood's rooms in Tuscany wont't be open in March... only the multi-bedroom villas
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
We stayed at Castillo di Casole in Tuscany. It was a fine stay though it’s a bit disneyfied...

check out Lupaia. I think they just finished a renovation and it looks great.

Fdw
Perhaps stay at Lupaia , owned and managed by an FTer
Another renovation to a part of it should be completed soon. Best reach out to them .

Think trains between Florence and Venice with luggage are quite the norm - but that is not what we plan on in September ..
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:16 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Also suggest Taking a look at the FT Italy Forum.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
A train from Florence to Venice is definitely the way to go. You can't take a car into Venice anyway...

In Florence, the Four Seasons is a true WOW. St. Regis is more central but it didn't excite me.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
12 years ago (low season too)-- so grain of salt:

St. Regis in Rome. Very nice hotel. Huge room, but seemed a bit far from major attractions.
St. Regis Florence. Stayed when it was still the Grand Hotel. Loved it. Had a fresco on the wall and view of the Arno. Location was also great.
Gritti Palace: After a general strike forced us off the train and in to rental car from Florence to Venice, the Grand Hotel called the Gritti Palace to let them know about the issue. Gritti Palace couldn't modify our reservation, but they upgraded us to a great room directly overlooking the Grand Canal. Venice is small, and so everything was convenient to the hotel. A great experience.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Castello di Casole is wonderful and I still have dreams about the Four Seasons Florence.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
prefer the Hassler to the Hotel de Russie in Rome but don't really like any of the options.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by DavidO
A train from Florence to Venice is definitely the way to go. You can't take a car into Venice anyway...
You canīt drive directly to the hotel but the parking garages are quite near to each other. If you travel to another destination itīs cheaper to hold the car and pay for the garage than changing cars. Also you can leave some non-necessary laguage in the car so you mustnīt take a few pieces of laguage with you on the water taxi. Even if Venice is your final destination I would consider to return the car at Piazzale Roma if you have a car anyway. Mostly should be more convenient and even cheaper.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:02 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Would also highly suggest FS in Florence, Hotel Eden in Rome, and Aman in Venice.

Just booked a week for ourselves in Florence and Rome at Four Seasons and Hotel Eden
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by offerendum
You canīt drive directly to the hotel but the parking garages are quite near to each other. If you travel to another destination itīs cheaper to hold the car and pay for the garage than changing cars. Also you can leave some non-necessary laguage in the car so you mustnīt take a few pieces of laguage with you on the water taxi. Even if Venice is your final destination I would consider to return the car at Piazzale Roma if you have a car anyway. Mostly should be more convenient and even cheaper.
My Italian friends would be aghast at the idea of leaving valuables in a parked car in Italy. The likelihood of theft is high. Other than that I agree — the parking garages are so convenient I wouldn’t hesitate to drive to Venice.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar

My Italian friends would be aghast at the idea of leaving valuables in a parked car in Italy. The likelihood of theft is high. Other than that I agree — the parking garages are so convenient I wouldn’t hesitate to drive to Venice.
In some cases you donīt have an Option (for excample on the way from one hotel to the other) and I donīt think itīs that dangerous to let things in a closed trunk in a garded garage. Nevertheless I wouldnīt left my jewels there but donīt have problems with my laundry or not needes clothes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.