Copal Tree Lodge, Punta Gorda Belize

Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Copal Tree Lodge

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Copal Tree Lodge

Wilson Road Punta Gorda, Belize BZ

Copal Tree Lodge, Punta Gorda Belize (0 Photo)

Copal Tree Lodge

As part of Steve’s quest to catch a fish in every month since his retirement, and my desire to visit luxury lodges and hotels we contacted Bevisor to help us arrange a stay at Copal Tree Lodge in Punta Gorda, Belize. We have never been to Belize before but heard that this was the place to catcht the elusive and hard to land Permit.  

Due to our scheduling issues we took flights from LaGuardia to Houston, where we stayed overnight and then on to Belize City. We then took a small 12 seater plane to Punta Gorda with stops at Dengrida, Palencia and then Punta Gorda. We were met at the one room airport by a staff member from Copal Tree Lodge and then driven the 20 minute drive to the Lodge. Formerly known as Bell Campo, it part of the Muy Ono hotel group.  

There was a surf and jungle option with staying at a sister resort Thatch Caye Lodge, but our stay was only going to be for four nights, so we elected to just stay at Copal Tree.  We arranged for a fishing package for Steve and also a meal and drink inclusive package.  Steve wanted to fish four days, but unfortunately no good guides were available for the fourth day.  

We requested one of the Canopy Suites, these were larger and had views of the area. The jungle view suites were smaller, and had views of just trees.  The four canopy suites shared an infinity pool.  The lounge chairs were in the sun, but there was a lovely seated area of couches and tables in the shade. There is also a villa available for larger families. There were 12 other jungle suites.

The room was very large and lovely.  There was a family across the way from our suite composed of parents, nanny and three children who all fit in the room.  

Meals were very tasty, and the chef was able to find a piece of fish for me on the last night, when I didn’t care for anything on the menu.  We were asked for our room number frequently to sign the check, It was a bit annoying, and it reminded me of all the complaints that people mentioned here regarding that.  Liquor was included in the dining package, I should have taken more advantage of it.  I thought only one drink was allowed per night, Steve had many glasses of wine, we weren’t charged for any of the drinks.  

For those concerned about air conditioning, we had it on all the time. It never seemed to bring the temperature below 72 degrees. The unit was definitely undersized for the room.  It would have been better if we kept the curtains closed all day, to keep the sun from warming up the room. However, then we would have not see the beautiful view from our suite. I did enjoy finding wonderful spots to read in our room and also in the public areas of the resort.There were no black out curtains for those that need that.  

We enjoyed listening to the Howler Monkeys.  Steve had problems sleeping due to some of the nocturnal sounds. It didn’t bother me.  

There was no hot tub, and the pool was at a slightly lower temperature than I prefer, but everyone else didn’t seem bothered. People were offered drink and snack service at the main pool. There might have been a gym, but I didn’t bother looking for that. There was a yoga pavilion in process of being constructed.  

As someone who is bothered by bugs, I had ordered insect proof clothing and that helped very much. Steve said that the mosquitos were bothersome at breakfast.

Acitivies available were horse back riding in the jungle, bird watching, kayaking on the river below the resort, tours of the chocolate factory, rum distillery and farm on premises. I didn’t do any of that. I did have a massage that was very good. All of these were extra charges.

For those with mobility issues, we did have stairs to our canopy suites. There was a tram to take guest up to the canopy suites from the main dining areas.  If desired you could get your exercise and walk the 90 steps.  I didn’t desire to do this. Even if you took ther tram, there was a short walk that involved strairs to the canopy suites. For those staying in the jungle suites, there were stairs up to the main dining area. We did not see people having meals outside from the dining area. This was under a covered veranda, there were fans, but it might get quite unpleasant during the summer. 

Meals were not communal.  We saw many families, with grandparents paying for the vacation. There were other fishermen, and other couples with fishing and non fishing spouses. 

Steve enjoyed his fishing guide, and although he caught no fish on his first day, He did catch a permit on his next two days. No one else caught a fish while we were there except for a young boy who was bait fishing with his grandfather. They brought the fish back for the chef to cook for dinner.  

On our fourth day we took the Snorkeling with the Chef experience.  We didn’t snorkel long, but it was a fun day anyway.  We stopped for a picnic on an island where there had been a lodge that had gone out of business.. It was interesting to see how quickly things can decay.

Dining

Meals were all in the main dining area. They were served under a veranda that had fans for circulation.  There were plentiful choices for all meals, Services were a little slow, we usually are done in 60 minutes when dining out back home.  

Overall

We enjoyed our stay very much, and will return.  I looked at several websites for other resorts that offer fishing in Belize, and I think Copal Tree is most suited for my tastes. 

Would you like to write a review on the Copal Tree Lodge?

No, thank you.
Yes
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.