Being "walked" from a Four Seasons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being "walked" from a Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
My wife and I are staying at this property in two weeks- We did book through FS on a “third night free” promotion. If we are walked, I will demand the nearby STR or there will be a chargeback issued.

This is unacceptable for a five-star hotel- plain and simple. Getting walked happens, but the service recovery is beyond poor.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
My wife and I are staying at this property in two weeks- We did book through FS on a “third night free” promotion. If we are walked, I will demand the nearby STR or there will be a chargeback issued.

This is unacceptable for a five-star hotel- plain and simple. Getting walked happens, but the service recovery is beyond poor.
You likely will be fine on your third-night free promo. These are widespread throughout the lux industry and usually incur no diminuition in service ... in my experience.
MSPeconomist and SeaHawg like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Wrote an email to corporate and sent the same letter via twitter, got a call from a manager at the Four Seasons Mexico City earlier today but a resolution is still pending. Not sure if the call was prompted by these or by my TA review. Will keep everyone updated.

Last edited by FAA1996; Feb 24, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Wrote an email to corporate and sent the same letter via twitter, got a call from a manager in Mexico City earlier today but a resolution is still pending. Not sure if the call was prompted by these or by my TA review. Will keep everyone updated.
From "a manager"? I thought you had dealt with the GM upon your return to the Four Seasons after the first night.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From "a manager"? I thought you had dealt with the GM upon your return to the Four Seasons after the first night.
We were walked by a "Front Desk Assistant Manager", dealt with a "Hotel Manager" upon our return, and got a room service amenity from a/the "General Manager". Reading this from their business cards and message card from the amenity. The call today came from the "Hotel Manager" I have not had any contact with the "General Manager" except the card in our room.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

We were walked by a "Front Desk Assistant Manager", dealt with a "Hotel Manager" upon our return, and got a room service amenity from a/the "General Manager". Reading this from their business cards and message card from the amenity. The call today came from the "Hotel Manager".
I actually hate dealing with hotel managers with service recovery. Sometimes, they can be like the attack dogs of the hotel world and it demonstrates to me that the GM doesn't like to get his hands dirty.
FAA1996 and SeaHawg like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Once a few years back I had a situation at the FS Philadelphia (a total power outage that was pre-scheduled but not mentioned until I checked in). At check out, I complained, and all I got was a "sorry, thoughts and prayers" kind of thing. Wrote a letter to Kathleen Taylor (then CEO) and it all rolled downhill from there. Got a letter from one of her minions with an upgrade certificate plus a full refund of my stay at the FS. So escalation seems to be the best option here.
scented and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Once a few years back I had a situation at the FS Philadelphia (a total power outage that was pre-scheduled but not mentioned until I checked in). At check out, I complained, and all I got was a "sorry, thoughts and prayers" kind of thing. Wrote a letter to Kathleen Taylor (then CEO) and it all rolled downhill from there. Got a letter from one of her minions with an upgrade certificate plus a full refund of my stay at the FS. So escalation seems to be the best option here.
I liked her. Thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
FS has been very good at recovery in my experience. We had a lot of dining issues at one a couple of years ago (restaurant was already closed for renovations, chef then quit leading to 1 hour wait times for whatever you ordered, served in a meeting room). GM called me personally after I complained and comped the whole stay, including all meals, spa treatments, horse riding and 3 nights in a suite.

Turned up at FS Hampshire recently to find the pool unexpectedly out of action and got a 25% discount on our suite as compensation.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
FS has been very good at recovery in my experience. We had a lot of dining issues at one a couple of years ago (restaurant was already closed for renovations, chef then quit leading to 1 hour wait times for whatever you ordered, served in a meeting room). GM called me personally after I complained and comped the whole stay, including all meals, spa treatments, horse riding and 3 nights in a suite.

Turned up at FS Hampshire recently to find the pool unexpectedly out of action and got a 25% discount on our suite as compensation.
It can vary. The former Area VP and GM at FSHK wasn't very forthcoming to a smelly dampness mold and spider web in-room issue. He felt moving me 3 times (one time to a room with spider cobweb) was enough compensation. I've been mad at that hotel ever since then. Guy was just a tightwad.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 25, 2019 at 2:39 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:01 am

I spoke to the night manager when we checked in, his first offar was to put us in the Marquis Reforma for all 4 nights as he said it was a similar property. He walked us over and I told him it was ridiculous he thought we would be mollified with getting that property while we had paid for the 4S. At this point they agreed to move us back for our last 3 nights and provide a good will gesture for our troubles but I also asked for a refund for the difference in price for the first night.
the second day when we moved over, the GM, or acting GM came out and told us that a dinner would be what's they could offer and nothing else. That's when I wrote my travel agency AAVacations and requested the difference in price from them. They apologized and looked in to it, but then came back and said that the 4S gave them this reply: "compensation offered of dinner Sunday night for everyone including margaritas. Carelli also expressed they had given you transportation to and from the resort as well and felt the property is the same quality as their resort so they are not offering any additional compensation for your stay." We dont reLly drink, so the margaritas are irrelevant, also the "transportation to and from the resort" they gave us was to the other hotel and back for us and our bags. I find it funny that management itself thinks both properties are of the same quality, yet the 4S can charge 2x the price for it.
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. From what you've explained the GM's response was poor. Regardless of which channel you make your reservation when you book to stay at a Four Seasons you expect them to take care of you and it really doesn't sound like they did. Did you give them a specific suggestion of where you would like to be re-accommodated other than the Marquis Reforma? I'm trying to ascertain whether they offered the Marquis Reforma you instead asked for the St Regis and they turned down that request. I would certainly take it up with corporate and the General Manager of the property. Hotels sometimes think that they can offer you poor service recovery whilst on property and if you don't walk that means you accepted it as recompense - it absolutely does not. I would not bother to take it up with your travel agent as they will have limited scope to resolve the issue. Take it up with Four Seasons Corporate who will be able to do a lot more for you. Last summer I had a very poor stay at a well known property in London. They did not offer any rate reduction despite all the issues and so once I checked out I took it up with the GM directly. Sure enough they refunded our entire stay without quibble. Sometimes it's a question of spelling out exactly what you expect. The best GMs are proactive, others are not and you need to be assertive.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonjparr
Sometimes it's a question of spelling out exactly what you expect. The best GMs are proactive, others are not and you need to be assertive.
Some are just lost causes and that's what this Mexico City case sounds like. The GM is an outside hire and it's his first FS hotel! Explains many things about how this escalated and wasn't immediately nipped in the butt.

https://press.fourseasons.com/mexico/hotel-team/ian-ciappara.html
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Some are just lost causes and that's what this Mexico City case sounds like. The GM is an outside hire and it's his first FS hotel! Explains many things about how this escalated and wasn't immediately nipped in the butt.

https://press.fourseasons.com/mexico...-ciappara.html
You may be right which is all the more reason to escalate your complaint to corporate who will probably view and deal with the situation very differently.
Aventine likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonjparr
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. From what you've explained the GM's response was poor. Regardless of which channel you make your reservation when you book to stay at a Four Seasons you expect them to take care of you and it really doesn't sound like they did. Did you give them a specific suggestion of where you would like to be re-accommodated other than the Marquis Reforma? I'm trying to ascertain whether they offered the Marquis Reforma you instead asked for the St Regis and they turned down that request. I would certainly take it up with corporate and the General Manager of the property. Hotels sometimes think that they can offer you poor service recovery whilst on property and if you don't walk that means you accepted it as recompense - it absolutely does not. I would not bother to take it up with your travel agent as they will have limited scope to resolve the issue. Take it up with Four Seasons Corporate who will be able to do a lot more for you. Last summer I had a very poor stay at a well known property in London. They did not offer any rate reduction despite all the issues and so once I checked out I took it up with the GM directly. Sure enough they refunded our entire stay without quibble. Sometimes it's a question of spelling out exactly what you expect. The best GMs are proactive, others are not and you need to be assertive.
It seem like the St. Regis was sold out that night, and I couldn't find any other places for us to stay that night (it was also late and we were tired) that's why I agreed to he Marquis Reforma but asked for a refund because of the difference in price/quality. Also, keep in mind that they wanted us to spend all 4 nights at that hotel which I was certainly not going to do, and only after a lot of discussion did they agree to move us back for the last 3 nights.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Industry standard (at least in the U.S.) in a "walk" situation is for the hotel to pay for the first night. Guests pay nothing. They return to the original hotel for successive nights and are upgraded and given an apology letter from the GM with room service amenities.

Four Seasons is a U.S. chain, so they should follow a similar procedure. I suspect they didn't want to go through the hassle of refunding the money, partly because it was a package and they're not supposed to reveal the rate.

HOWEVER--they could easily have offered you the equivalent in points of a free night at the Four Seasons for each of your room. They should have given you that PLUS the free meals.

Definitely raise a stink with corporate and anyone else who will listen.
Four seasons is based in Canada

Industry standards: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/b...ng-travel.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.