FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Amanwella February 2019 - finally !! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1957396-amanwella-february-2019-finally.html)

FlyerEC Feb 21, 2019 4:15 am

Amanwella February 2019 - finally !!

Introduction Hopefully this will be posted in the correct forum . The first attempt disappeared . Will post in parts just in case ..Will be reviewing Amangalla along with Amanwella . Preamble We are thrilled to be here after numerous attempts since opening . After the delay due to the regional unprecedented disaster 15 years this Boxing Day much has been done . That event during Wella ‘ s pre opening and which affected the people here deeply saw AMAN help opening Wella in various capacities even as the property was affected . So being here now gives us an understanding of the grave situation and how the current team here was impacted .As Sean is overseeing Sri Lanka AMANs , and not too soon either , us coming here to stay and catch up in person with an “ old “ GM & now friend , is good timing . Arrival ; and transfer from Galla After a fairly smooth almost 2 hours drive from Galla on smooth roads , we turned into a laterite track which seems to be what it is in these parts . We were welcomed by Sean F who was here part of the day till night , Pantelis K ( GM ) , Guillermo V ( EAM AMAN Galla & Wella ) along with some team members here .Had a quick look around mainly above before riding a tuk to our suite for check in .

Aventine Feb 21, 2019 4:37 am

A proper Aman welcome.

FlyerEC Feb 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 30804600)
A proper Aman welcome.

Yes , indeed ..
Even at about 2 am at Galla sans Sean ;)

Then on our return , a special Chef indulged us by cooking up a storm - last minute request as we were chatting and I forgot to email Sean / mention on arrival - all within an hour ! What can one say :)
A true Chef & an Aman veteran !! Need more like these veterans at Amans

The Wella TR is taking awhile to complete , we shall see .. Plus editing does not work smoothly , still trying to rectify :( , cannot rearrange segments for improved flow . FT has to improve on it .

May start on Galla ‘ s soon ..

Fliar Feb 24, 2019 1:29 am

Thanks for the review. I *loved* Wella and would gladly return any time. We had villa 1 and it was splendid...

1readyset2go Feb 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Happy to hear a positive review! Another fabulous review by FlyerEC. You got some really nice shots of the whole resort. Thanks for taking the time to post this, very informative.

FlyerEC Feb 25, 2019 6:58 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go (Post 30817701)
Happy to hear a positive review! Another fabulous review by FlyerEC. You got some really nice shots of the whole resort. Thanks for taking the time to post this, very informative.

Originally Posted by Fliar (Post 30815013)
Thanks for the review. I *loved* Wella and would gladly return any time. We had villa 1 and it was splendid...

You are very welcome , Fliar & 1readyset2go , thank you ; et al .

If I can figure out non red eye flights , will return soon too in not so hot months :)
Will check with Sean F , Pantelis K , Guillermo V .. for other scheduling updates . Will Wella Villas happen these couple years or .. ? ;)

Trying to complete & sort Wella TR / photos .. still cannot edit the way it is intended to flow :(

Cityflyer10 Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Lack of English is a bit worrying, no?

For the cost (1k USD/night if I remember correctly), I would certainly hope that the staff would understand requests, regardless of how well-intentioned the staff is.

we are still undecided whether Sri Lanka will be on the upcoming RTW honeymoon trip. Service seems to be a bit too rough around the edges for price. Locale is undoubtedly beautiful...

FlyerEC Feb 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10 (Post 30825583)
Lack of English is a bit worrying, no?

For the cost (1k USD/night if I remember correctly), I would certainly hope that the staff would understand requests, regardless of how well-intentioned the staff is.

we are still undecided whether Sri Lanka will be on the upcoming RTW honeymoon trip. Service seems to be a bit too rough around the edges for price. Locale is undoubtedly beautiful...

Don ‘ t get me wrong though . They speak English alright and there are those who are truly fluent !
Suppose should not be putting them on the spot with tricky “ technical “ questions - assuming all Commonwealth countries have English like their first language if not second ;)

Service was almost flawless :)

Amanwella is one of the reasons I will return to Sri Lanka .
( Also since we did not have time for Tea Trails , what we preferred was unavailable .. )

ridefar Feb 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 30825591)

Don ‘ t get me wrong though . They speak English alright and there are those who are truly fluent !
Suppose should not be putting them on the spot with tricky “ technical “ questions - assuming all Commonwealth countries have English like their first language if not second ;)

Service was almost flawless :)

Amanwella is one of the reasons I will return to Sri Lanka .
( Also since we did not have time for Tea Trails , what we preferred was unavailable .. )

Speaking as somebody who loved Sri Lanka I would say that Tea Trails was a disappointment. We will definitely go back to Sri Lanka and definitely not stay at Tea Trails. Nor would I readily recommend it unless you rent all of one house.

I am am encouraged by your thoughts on Amanwella however. We loved Amangalle and were disappointed to miss Wella.

FlyerEC Feb 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 30825727)

Speaking as somebody who loved Sri Lanka I would say that Tea Trails was a disappointment. We will definitely go back to Sri Lanka and definitely not stay at Tea Trails. Nor would I readily recommend it unless you rent all of one house.

I am am encouraged by your thoughts on Amanwella however. We loved Amangalle and were disappointed to miss Wella.

Thanks for your views / the information . Was consoling myself that the Tea Trails are similar to those in Malaysia in the 60s , have you been ? May not bother then . Looking forward to what they will be adding at Wella ;)

Larkin Feb 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Thank you for the nice review of Amanwella. We went about 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. We loved the beach, and really liked our room with its view to the ocean. We thought the placement of the private pool in the entrance was a bit strange , but really enjoyed the property. The service was not quite as good as the Indonesian Amal’s but everyone tried hard and we had a great time. We also loved Amangalle and Tea Trails. Tea Trails is not really a luxury property but well worth a visit if you get the right accommodation. It is just a great experience I would not have wanted to miss. My suggestion would be go there first, and then follow it with the better accommodations.

FlyerEC Feb 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Larkin (Post 30826211)
Thank you for the nice review of Amanwella. We went about 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. We loved the beach, and really liked our room with its view to the ocean. We thought the placement of the private pool in the entrance was a bit strange , but really enjoyed the property. The service was not quite as good as the Indonesian Amal’s but everyone tried hard and we had a great time. We also loved Amangalle and Tea Trails. Tea Trails is not really a luxury property but well worth a visit if you get the right accommodation. It is just a great experience I would not have wanted to miss. My suggestion would be go there first, and then follow it with the better accommodations.

Thanks Larkin , you are welcome . That pool placement is odd but I think it is where it is to cool things down ;)
Always try to do better , best last :) .
Will figure out when we next visit & which at Tea Trails to stay if we do go . We have visited Cameron Highlands with tea plantations ( like annually in the ‘ 60s ) & similar in Malaysia & the Tea Trails seem like the colonial style plantation bungalows we are accustomed to too .. if really really cool , will be more enticing . The Malaysian ones are affected by global warming & not cool any more ( to us anyway )

chinmoylad Feb 27, 2019 12:43 am

Wonderful review and great photos too - especially loved the sunset ones.

Also great to see yourself and @vienna-resident in Hong Kong!

Aventine Feb 27, 2019 12:52 am

Something about the photos gives me that old Aman vibe. @FlyerEC

Thank you for sharing as always!

FlyerEC Feb 27, 2019 1:08 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 30826361)
Wonderful review and great photos too - especially loved the sunset ones.

Also great to see yourself and @vienna-resident in Hong Kong!

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 30826379)
Something about the photos gives me that old Aman vibe. @FlyerEC

Thank you for sharing as always!

Thanks chinmoylad & Aventine , always appreciate your inputs too .

chinmoylad , likewise - perhaps more of us at an Aman next time ;)

Yes , Aventine , more than a bit of relief

Getting on with Galla TR