Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanwella February 2019 - finally !!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Has anyone reading this been to Galla or Wella in November or December and also January or February ?
Are there significant differences in weather and temperatures between those 4 months ?
Sea conditions ?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:26 am

I went to the Galle area in January - very hot, one brief torrential rain storm when we were dining at Amangalla, as it happens. I believe the seas around Sri Lanka are always lively and many beaches are unsuitable for casual swimming. Quite unlike the Maldives or the Seychelles, more like the beaches in India.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I went to the Galle area in January - very hot, one brief torrential rain storm when we were dining at Amangalla, as it happens. I believe the seas around Sri Lanka are always lively and many beaches are unsuitable for casual swimming. Quite unlike the Maldives or the Seychelles, more like the beaches in India.
Thanks , that is what I feared . Planning when best to go next , hopefully not so hot and humid .

Know what you mean by lively seas too , experienced it personally at Wella

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 16, 2019 at 12:28 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Nov and Dec can be very rainy. Jan to March is the best time. It’s always going to be hot and humid.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Nov and Dec can be very rainy. Jan to March is the best time. It’s always going to be hot and humid.
Well , thanks , just as we arranged with you - lots of time in the library , Londonjetsetter . When not by / in the pool or spa at Galla or beach / Beach Club at Wella . Have always appreciated this room at Amans .
Perhaps aim for late January but seems peak times at Tea Trails too .
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Any recommendations for which Ocean Pool Suite to choose? I hear that some have been renovated?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
Any recommendations for which Ocean Pool Suite to choose? I hear that some have been renovated?

Many thanks!
FYI , all of the Ocean Suites including the Pool ones have been refurbished . Suggest you request front row . Do PM me if you like specific information ( which I would likely have ) .
Jet lagging in Amanemu now after fabulous time at AmanTokyo & very wet Kyoto . These AMANs are running at full occupancy these days -the convergence of events ?!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
A couple of weeks out of our visit - wanted to check how people dealt with the no gym situation.

Apparently there are arrangements with a nearby Anantara (at $50 per person which sounds high) - how does that work out if anyone used the option?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
A couple of weeks out of our visit - wanted to check how people dealt with the no gym situation.

Apparently there are arrangements with a nearby Anantara (at $50 per person which sounds high) - how does that work out if anyone used the option?
Do you really need a gym ? Wella has various complimentary workout sessions , though I only did the aqua aerobics ones .
Walking to & from your suite ( the one suggested in the pm ) should be plenty enough if you are looking to a “ strenuous “ work out .
Suggest you enjoy their pool with a view . The sea can be rather treacherous ..

By all means , explore Anantara and please let us know your thoughts

GM Pantelis K will be happy to assist if you do need more .. will drop him a note
Have a fabulous time .
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
We were there between xmas and new years for 3 nights/4 days:
1) Day 1 - complimentary yoga and boxing class (both very good)
2) Day 2 - swam laps in the pool
3) Day 3 - We bought some resistance bands and did that and related exercises on our terrace overlooking the beach (we bought bands with us because none of the hotels we stayed at in Sri Lanka had a gym)
4) Day 4 - run on the beach

Note that except for the yoga and boxing, which is per schedule I did everything else in the morning because the sun does get hot!
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.