Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanwella February 2019 - finally !!

Amanwella February 2019 - finally !!

Old Feb 27, 19, 1:28 am
Original Poster
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
AMANGALLA here we come !! February 2019

AMANGALLA RESORT

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

AMANGALLA RESORT

10 Church Street Fort Galle, Sri Lanka LK 0000

AMANGALLA here we come !! February 2019 (37 Photos)

AMANGALLA RESORT

Preamble ; Trip preparations

With Sean F responsible for Sri Lanka Amans , we were at ease in visiting a new country for both of us .

They were numerous changes to our itinerary including finally just proceeding directly to Amangalla rather than overnighting in Colombo .

Seemingly countless just to get going ! But worth the hassle , now - not then ..

Colombo to Galle - Galla

Since arrival was at midnight , it was comforting to know Aman was the one meeting us after customs / immigration and onto their vehicle - SUV .

Will try to arrive during the day next time so we can take in the scenery . For this first visit , this rather unearthly midnight hour helped as it was cooler then and probably with lighter traffic . A smooth ride and we arrived in an hour and a half .

Arrival and check in

This lovely floral arrangement greets us just beyond the entry area .

E7E71028-8739-4CAE-A901-9D858BBBA6E7.jpe

We were warmly welcomed by the FoM & others like on the steps right by the road - there is no drive way .. 

Check in was swift in suite .

At 2 am ? Cannot recall much now ..

Room

We stayed in 22 pre Wella & 28 post Wella .

Getting to 22 was rather easy down a corridor without any steps . 28 was accessed round a few corners by flights of few steps . Near the pool .

Living area

199285A4-68B1-4012-BE2C-7E9130ABFF97.jpe

Comfortable day bed ! Could lie here all day looking out at the greenery

EF034AF8-EEE6-4398-8A37-F15D51957DD8.jpe

From the entrance 

9548C2CC-D1DC-4674-BE4D-AC162AE0915A.jpe

Miss this planter ‘ s lounge , grew up with them

D46D1994-9539-4095-A853-B7B3B6C3825D.jpe

Foyer , with bedroom on the right and bathroom on the left9812D6B4-580C-4691-8BB6-EC4BABC4AA52.jpe

While the bedroom is bright , for a view of the garden you will need to stand by the window . Very private !

7CA66D46-6C42-4595-A128-A73836CF66CA.jpe

Outside 28 , steps past the rails lead to the swimming pool area

B99FA2FD-58AC-432E-9CF4-C8D9114E5ED6.jpe

The bedroom & living is open plan

Entry with bath area through the open double leaf doors

E648B2A3-4C52-4EDE-8090-ABD3EC7B98A0.jpe89E0C49F-072C-47D9-A914-F3C3DAED358B.jpe

The 2 Juliette balconies overlooking one of the walkways to the pool area

C81FAD9B-8DBC-4726-AFBC-DBDB6B3FAD44.jpe

Yes , we requested a TV2524F975-8BCA-45A8-8FC2-BB89A2D64DA4.jpe

Bath area / bathroom

Each room or suite is different & the bathroom layouts tend to be too .

58E90011-2A1A-4EFF-A233-BDE40A99E560.jpe07D4C5F8-482C-4BDA-A9CE-45F425317F96.jpe

To the left of the mirror , a peek of the shower area . Out of view on other side in the WC room 

026F82EF-1C56-457A-A16C-0902529773FB.jpe

While the bath tub in 22 is in the middle of the room  , the bath tub in 28 is against the wall with on the bedroom . There are shutters that you can open up to see the room . Not ideal if you ask me ..

Dining

We enjoyed some fabulous meals - off menu mainly . Being an AMANjunkie ‘ 89 ( for the benefit of the unfamiliar - this title is accorded to those who have stayed at a same Aman twice - that is when one receives the T , back in those days , there was only Puri anyway ;) - nowadays a bit lax ) , we likely receive attention many others here / reading this do not receive . 

A true chef can whip up amazing dishes without batting an eyelid & we experienced this again - thanks to Sean being GM here and a veteran Aman team member . Him being a chef himself , commands great respect in the Sri Lanka Amans ‘ kitchens team .

He has really raised the bar and we expect the standards to keep improving and menus expanded or revised continuously - not only the daily set options .

The daily cream teas are to look forward to , the scones and strawberry compote - something to anticipate in the heat of the day ! 

One can also enjoy breakfasts and light snacks under mature trees in the pool courtyard .

Yes , we had all our meals except breakfasts in the library again - only air conditioned public area besides the spa ..

Musicians play nightly including a pianist . To the left of the grand piano , is the open bar ..

1870A581-9CEF-467E-84BF-0F006841F38E.jpe

The far end is where we have our breakfast with a standing fan blowing in our direction  . Not in the Terrace where everyone else is - the sun streams in and where you can people .. watch , to the right .

E27E2CCC-0CD6-4EE2-A132-BC78F49D2188.jpe

The Library

The library in multi split levels housing an incredible selection of books , charts , coffee table books , photos , paraphernalia .. One can stay here all day with the comfortable seating .

Will need to return to get to the books and not only use as our private dining room !

D6A15DE0-BB1D-4222-8379-4B61191A8151.jpe

The lowest portion 

9D5EB976-A9DF-4DCF-B88E-77CA0DF301A3.jpe

Note the pair of elephant bones

99C51129-4E8A-442A-94C2-C9ECBA591FA2.jpe

The Baths / Hydrotherapy Chambers

To beat the heat , experiencing the Baths in privacy is mandatory :) There are 2 .

We got use each , all to ourselves - they have a mirror image layout . 

Soaking in the hydrotherapy pool was best for us .

Temperature can be adjusted to suit 

2C9EDEF6-ED08-40CF-AE88-CCA8C367990A.jpe

Choose the level to sit

C80A8DBB-B9D5-4072-93ED-2CC3C88E5CFB.jpe

The cold plunge poolFE6FD21A-1F14-4365-9FA0-705A0FFCCD78.jpe

Did not use the sauna or steam room as was already too hot . Barely plunged into the cold plunge pool , attempted sort of a dip before we had to ‘ prepare ‘ for the spa sessions next door .

BBF18486-8954-4F3A-9B31-8A5532EF6A32.jpe272D5438-3DB1-4AFF-A715-A0E3122D6319.jpe

Changing room with a chair !

F04EC6DB-FDB9-46A4-ADB2-C724CED4EEA9.jpe

The lockers and shower

71827AE6-77E8-402F-8CE9-FBB85E3D0CF6.jpe

The Spa

We needed the spa , twice immediately after The Baths , for jet lag and over extending / indulging at Wella ;)

Very competent Therapists including 2 from Bali .

The relaxation area like a wide stepped corridor to each treatment room is spacious .

There are a few / six ? rooms including a couples treatment room .

The Pool , Cabanas and Courtyard

Something much needed , necessary mature garden oasis within the bustle of Galle Fort

View from one of our ‘ 28 ‘ windows

CCC0B5DB-55C3-4707-8986-3226E587F0CD.jpe

The cabanas / pavilions all have ceiling fans

19AAA5BC-2F31-4206-B260-C8DD98720E57.jpeDE03E185-F9DC-4112-8194-413FDA06D3A9.jpe

Spot the bird on the branch

7062E7B6-3F32-44C7-8E62-99C469E854D6.jpe

Another approach to the pool area via the mature gardens 

AAFA658D-EED8-4F01-8C08-255D84D03F1D.jpe

Bar with a view

Another cool spot to be is the ‘ Bar ‘ on the upper level 

After climbing up these .. huff & puff

7ACB723B-4995-4F68-9157-0F90FD29BA40.jpe

For this ..

C3EDA0E4-A07E-423E-81EB-CFC2FAFA0943.jpeB784F14C-E372-4EDB-BF59-EB3DD4BFF7FB.jpe

For those in these rooms

C02BB3F3-FFD7-42A9-824F-C27425B83402.jpe

Almost private area to chill with a view

138454B5-B2E2-4EA1-A809-6CAC384816E8.jpe

Service

As in Wella , we had large bottles of Evian placed in various parts of our suite ( others had local bottled water ) including chilled bottles and towel service on tuk tuk exploration of the fort , AC set low plus handheld fans both large & small in our room , a dedicated butler and touches like these .

What one expects at an Aman .

From what I hear , a far cry from even a couple of years ago . Kudos to Sean & his cheerful perseverance ;)

Odds and ends

There is no gallery / shop ! 

But with retail therapy round the corner perhaps it deemed unnecessary .

Trying to recall if any other Amans which do not have one ..

Their is no gym , but arrangements have been made with a nearby new hotel to use theirs . But we would rather walk around the property if one had to sweat it out , easily done just going upstairs too . 

One can add weights like coconuts available here and at Wella to the in room baskets / bags ;) 

Or swim .

Galla is set within a tropical garden so do expect to come across / see birds and other creatures . Also insect repellent , etcetera are provided 

And harking back to original Aman ethos , there are no TVs in order for one to enjoy the surroundings and soak it all in , hopefully without outside distractions ..

Love the ceramic holders for shampoo , conditioner and shower gel such a contrast to many new Amans & even old ones . Puri lost her unique ones ages ago .

Loved where it is within the fort . In a quieter part opposite a large field but a stone ‘ s throw away from the quaint lanes ..

Overall

A lot of Galla reminds me of the homes that I am familiar with especially as a child .. so it was like coming home .

Loved the British colonial reclining planter's chairs and loungers in the rooms and throughout Galla , evokes the easygoing bygone days . Definitely reminiscent of the past of this former mansion along with artefacts onsite .

For us , this is a perfect place to stay in Galle - a cool oasis of calm .

AMANGALLA here we come !! February 2019

Would you like to write a review on the AMANGALLA RESORT?

No, thank you.
Yes
Musken and scented like this.
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:34 am

Have been looking forward to this & did not disappoint! Thanks for this Sri Lankan update and glad Sean is working hard to raise standards.
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:39 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Good to hear that you enjoyed Amanwella much more than we did two years ago.
scented likes this.
Old Feb 27, 19, 3:34 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
So hard to believe there are Amans you hadn’t been to! Enjoyed the write up. Thank you!
Old Feb 27, 19, 5:25 am
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Thanks for the reviews. Looks amazing. Sri Lanka has always been on my list.

As as much as I respect Kerry Hills work; I cant fathom the logic in the private pool placement. Facing the ocean would have made the pools a showstopper.

In addition; its time for all Amans to have a proper spa and fitness center. I dont think that fad will go away. Wellness center? Please no unless you hire me to consult. Then yes I will travel from Aman to Aman and dispense medical advice and care.

Fdw
Old Feb 27, 19, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken View Post
Good to hear that you enjoyed Amanwella much more than we did two years ago.
Originally Posted by scented View Post
Have been looking forward to this & did not disappoint! Thanks for this Sri Lankan update and glad Sean is working hard to raise standards.
Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
So hard to believe there are Amans you hadn’t been to! Enjoyed the write up. Thank you!
Glad 3 of you AMANjunkies appreciate what has been posted & between the lines too
Best check with GMs you know when planning an Aman stay , they will let you know best timing suitable for you .

We attempted to come to Sri Lanka on numerous occasions but with so many changes of GMs , political situation , etcetera , visits have been thwarted .
Plus this latest attempt only succeeded as Sean F managed to sort the AC situation & such .

Have repeat stays at many Amans but missed on many too . Like Ruya just closed for season twice before the conditions of travel to the region became “ iffy “ . Then Giri ‘ s opening was delayed ..
We shall see about September stays ..

Old Feb 27, 19, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
Thanks for the reviews. Looks amazing. Sri Lanka has always been on my list.

As as much as I respect Kerry Hills work; I can’t fathom the logic in the private pool placement. Facing the ocean would have made the pools a showstopper.

In addition; it’s time for all Amans to have a proper spa and fitness center. I don’t think that fad will go away. Wellness center? Please no unless you hire me to consult. Then yes I will travel from Aman to Aman and dispense medical advice and care.

Fdw

As with Larkin ‘ s post & my earlier reply , think it maybe to cool the suite down in even warmer , no hotter still months . I wondered too but can no longer ask him ..
During our stay , just getting through the entry door - opening & seeing that plunge pool helped psychologically . The heat was intense .
Think perhaps due to the lie of the land too , just looking at the topography - even from the main pool while swimming .

Certain guy is into wellness centres , what can we say ..
Some GMs know you so we shall see .
Will recce Puri in May & give you the verdict .
Spas are indeed preferred , personally .
At many Amans , getting around the site makes the whole place a fitness centre , just do not buggy or tuk tuk about !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 28, 19 at 3:38 am
Old Feb 28, 19, 8:39 am
Aman Contributor Badge

The new AC was already there when we visited. We found it to be too cold, actually, since it was blowing directly onto the bed, but they found a solution for that so we were fine (but as some of you know, we are ok to sleep in 22 degrees celcius - this was MUCH colder).
Old Feb 28, 19, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

The new AC was already there when we visited. We found it to be too cold, actually, since it was blowing directly onto the bed, but they found a solution for that so we were fine (but as some of you know, we are ok to sleep in 22 degrees celcius - this was MUCH colder).
Ah Musken , Aman must be planning for and thinking of us who like it “ freezing “ then . Actually , have been told it gets unbearably hot in summer and they probably have to consider that too so guests can find a cool refuge .
I was surprised how cold it could get
As posted before , think the odd placement of the pool also serves this purpose . If one had to sit outdoors and in the pool to cool down . Too hot to get to main areas even by tuk tuk .. Like the Baths in Galla

As we now know , and as AMANjunkies anyway , Aman will always figure a solution whatever it takes and in good quick time as necessitates .

My Galla TR is about done now . Looking through both Wella ‘ s too & edits likely done by this weekend .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 28, 19 at 3:38 pm
Old Feb 28, 19, 8:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

They installed it to attract back his Royal Coldness, bhrubin.
FlyerEC and Musken like this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 12:16 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post

Ah Musken , Aman must be planning for and thinking of us who like it freezing then . Actually , have been told it gets unbearably hot in summer and they probably have to consider that too so guests can find a cool refuge .
I was surprised how cold it could get
As posted before , think the odd placement of the pool also serves this purpose . If one had to sit outdoors and in the pool to cool down . Too hot to get to main areas even by tuk tuk .. Like the Baths in Galla

As we now know , and as AMANjunkies anyway , Aman will always figure a solution whatever it takes and in good quick time as necessitates .

My Galla TR is about done now . Looking through both Wella s too & edits likely done by this weekend .
To be honest, I struggle to understand why you do not rather go on vacation to cooler places when you like it freezing. It is easier for me to understand people who need cold to sleep, but it sounds to me that you would need to stay inside in A/C almost all the time, and then you cannot really fully enjoy the place you visit. But we are all different ;-)
Old Mar 1, 19, 12:42 am

To be honest, I struggle to understand why you do not rather go on vacation to cooler places when you like it freezing. It is easier for me to understand people who need cold to sleep, but it sounds to me that you would need to stay inside in A/C almost all the time, and then you cannot really fully enjoy the place you visit. But we are all different ;-)
I think it is scientifically proven that colder temperatures are healthier at night. Even though individually everyone has different preferences. I cannot sleep when its too warm but 16C is a bit pushing it.
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:05 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I think it is scientifically proven that colder temperatures are healthier at night. Even though individually everyone has different preferences. I cannot sleep when its too warm but 16C is a bit pushing it.
It is a lot less than 16 degrees in my bedroom at home during winter since it is below zero outside and no heating on. It is around 5 degrees I would guess, but obviously I have a thik duvet and sometimes a snuggly blanket on top. In summer it is obviously a lot warmer since we do not have airconditioning. When I am on holidays it has to be colder than outside to sleep but if it is too far from the outside temperature I am freezing and often getting ill. Strange thing. Maybe it is actually the too high temperature differences between outside and bedroom that I just cannot live with??
Old Mar 1, 19, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Loved my Advent adventures 18 : Croatia , Slovenia and Austria - often - C sometimes - 7C

Looking forward to the cool again later this month- Romania , Croatia , Hungary and Austria

No AMANs in the vicinity
Wanted to visit Sri Lanka in the coolest month but still .. try but tough call in tropics where many Amans are including the first - Puri
scented likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 14, 19 at 12:10 am
Old Mar 1, 19, 6:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I've slept in 12C before and you just end up huddling in the duvet.
FlyerEC likes this.

Search this Thread