Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tasmania - Cradle Mountain Lodge?

Old Feb 18, 19, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG

My wife and I are spending 3 nights in Tasmania before a wedding we are attending in Sydney next month. We will be flying in from New York so relaxation is the goal, nice scenery and great food also important. I have one night booked at the Islington in Hobart but its the following two nights I am not set on yet.

Cradle Mountain Lodge only has the Contemporary Spa Cabin or Pencil Pine Cabin available and from what I can tell neither of these look truly luxury.

Is Cradle Mountain Lodge worth it in these lower tier rooms or are we better off somewhere like Piermont Retreat?
Old Feb 18, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
I haven't yet stayed but as far as I know, in terms of luxury nothing else in Tasmania comes close to Saffire.

Any specific reason why this isn't among the contenders ?
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:29 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by Nizar View Post
,,in terms of luxury nothing else in Tasmania comes close to Saffire.
We were there two months ago. It was perfect in nearly every way.
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nizar View Post
I haven't yet stayed but as far as I know, in terms of luxury nothing else in Tasmania comes close to Saffire.

Any specific reason why this isn't among the contenders ?
It was on the shortlist but it's sold out for our dates.
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Peon
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto View Post
relaxation is the goal, nice scenery and great food also important.
We were there last August, and I'd happily go back. The scenery and nearby hiking is wonderful. However, Cradle Mountain Lodge isn't luxurious at all. The rooms are basic, and you've got a couple dining options -- pub-style dining (it's fine) and a restaurant (better, though expensive).

We haven't stayed at Saffire, but we had a wonderful lunch there a few years ago. It's also a beautiful part of Tasmania, very different terrain.

I prefer the hiking around Cradle Mountain, but if you're after luxury check out Saffire first.
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pufnstuf View Post
We were there last August, and I'd happily go back. The scenery and nearby hiking is wonderful. However, Cradle Mountain Lodge isn't luxurious at all. The rooms are basic, and you've got a couple dining options -- pub-style dining (it's fine) and a restaurant (better, though expensive).

We haven't stayed at Saffire, but we had a wonderful lunch there a few years ago. It's also a beautiful part of Tasmania, very different terrain.

I prefer the hiking around Cradle Mountain, but if you're after luxury check out Saffire first.
thanks for the review. When you say the rooms are not luxury at all are we talking Motel 6 or like a decent Hilton Garden Inn? I know they aren't an Aman but it seems like Cradle Mountain Lodge is the next best thing when Saffire is sold out.

Did you stay anywhere else in tassie?

When I say relaxation is key I don't need supreme luxury to be relaxed. A comfortable bed, nice scenery, and a spa booking should do the trick.
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Peon
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto View Post

thanks for the review. When you say the rooms are not luxury at all are we talking Motel 6 or like a decent Hilton Garden Inn? I know they aren't an Aman but it seems like Cradle Mountain Lodge is the next best thing when Saffire is sold out.

Did you stay anywhere else in tassie?

When I say relaxation is key I don't need supreme luxury to be relaxed. A comfortable bed, nice scenery, and a spa booking should do the trick.
We were in a spa family cabin and it was definitely closer to Hilton than Motel 6. Expensive for what youíre getting, but the easy park access is so convenient. We didnít do any spa treatments on this trip but we did on an earlier one years ago and enjoyed them ó the view from the tubs of the pencil pine falls was memorable.

We also had an overnight in Deloraine at Blakeís Manor that we enjoyed. But what really stands out for us is the natural beauty in Tassie and the friendliness of everyone. We love visiting and canít wait to return...some day.

PS ó one of the most underrated attractions is Tasmazia. If the thought of wandering a cheeky hedge maze appeals at all then check it out.

Search this Thread