Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most stunning Luxury Hotel Locations you’ve experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most stunning Luxury Hotel Locations you’ve experienced?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:09 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Ericka
Love this thread! We’ve been to many of these properties....and the ones we’ve not been to are on our bucket list.

In the US, we also like the mountain/lake views from Blackberry Farm and Lake Placid Lodge
I don't see Lake Placid Lodge mentioned too often here but it's great and underrated!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Member

La Casa Que Canta cantilevered down an oceanside cliff on the bay at Zihuatanejo, Mexico with views out to sea, over the bay, and over the old village.

Auberge du Soleil cascades down a hillside overlooking Napa Valley, gorgeous views plus colorful hot-air ballons.

Manoir Hovey, set amidst gardens on the shore of Lake Massawippi in the Eastern Townships area of Quebec province, south of Montreal.

Thames view suite on the upper floors of the Savoy; dynamic Thames view all day and all night.

Twin Farms in Autumn

Cap Juluca set oceanfront on Maundy's Bay, mile-long flour-white sand beach, tranquil turquoise ocean, whispering waves.

PapaNico likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:32 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:52 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Amanfayun has quite a wonderful location as well ignoring any issues it may have as a resort.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
This is a great thread and in thinking about it I realize how much has to do with when I visited.

The first time I visited NYC, we stayed at the Trump and had a view of Central Park. At the time, that was the best for me, though now I would never stay at Colombus Circle.
The first time I visited anywhere in Asia, we stayed at the Regent in Hong Kong. Staring at the harbor was amazing, though again now when I go to HK, I only stay on the island (Upper House or FS).
My next truly stunning location was probably at the Splendido in Portofino.
The first time my (now) wife and I went to Paris, we were upgraded to suite# 887/888 at the Plaza Athenee, truly special.
Our first Aman was Amanjiwo and was amazing, but purely in terms of location of the property I would probably prefer Amandari / Amanoi
Also, I think almost any top safari could be mentioned here, but having only been two three camps, I will list: Serengeti Bushtops, &Beyond Tree top and &beyond ngorongoro crater lodge (though this one had the worst game viewing experience).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For city locations, Plaza NYC, Crillon Paris, Grand Hotel Stockholm, Ritz Paris, Westin St Francis on Union Square San Francisco, the old RC Boston (now the Taj?), the old Hyde Park Hotel London (now also a Taj?), Palace Hotel or Imperial Hotel Tokyo, Westin Chosun Seoul, PH or Bristol Vienna, Rittenhouse Hotel Philadelphia, Chateau Frontenac Quebec, IC Hong Kong on the Kowloon side, Negresco Nice, Hotel d'Europe Amsterdam, Hotel des Indes Den Hague, Gramercy Park NYC, Riverwalk (?) Inn Portland, the place on top of the Spanish Steps in Florence (IIRC it's been reflagged), Ciragen (spelling) Palace outside of Istanbul, Gritti Palace Venice, the old place along the coast in Marseille with the Michelin starred restaurant,

Otherwise Hotel du Cap Eden Roc, GH Rio Barra, Badrutt's Palace, Hotel St Martin above St. Paul de Vence, Palace Hotel Interlaken, Villa d'Este, Chateau d'Eze in Eze Village, the two sister hotels in Portofino (on the edge of the hill and down in the village near the port), Green Island Resort GBR Australia, some of the Spanish paradors such as Bayona and Carmona, Chateau Lake Louise, the hotel in the Asilomar conference center (along the Northern California coast south of SF), a couple hotels in Bodrum Turkey (one was Butterfly Boutique Hotel and the other was above town with units hanging down the hill), Park Hotel Vitznau, Auberge de Soleil in California wine country, maybe Sonoma Mission Inn, the Hyatt near Mt Fiji, former Westin in Versailles, Fiesole near Florence, some of the castle hotels in France, Germany, and Italy in general (often R&C), some of the places along the Amalfi Coast, the hotels in the park on both sides at the Falls (former Sheraton in Argentina and Belmond in Brazil), Schlosshotel Fussl outside of Salzburg, some of the USA national parks lodges such as Grand Canyon, the Broodmore in Colorado Springs

Obviously not all of these are luxury properties. Also, I'm finding it hard to get a "pure" list that's based on just the location and doesn't consider also the (historic) building or the general town/village versus specifically where the hotel building is set.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Stunning hotel location does not necessarily mean stunning or even luxury hotel. For instance top on my list would be either of the 2 star Bhutanese hotels I stayed at in Paro and Thimphu. Amazing views, crisp clean mountain air and the most rare experiences as a visitor. But not at all luxury.

Approaching Positano by boat at sunset is very stunning, but the hotel you check into upon arrival may not be.

I've had a couple of Holiday Inn rooms in Paris that have stunning views of the Eiffel Tower. I could go on.
offerendum likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Stunning hotel location does not necessarily mean stunning or even luxury hotel.
Totally agree. Two that immediately come to mind are the Lake Atitlan Hotel in Guatemala and the Maulana Inn in the Banda Islands, Indonesia. Both these places are dominated by volcanoes.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
"Not bad" regarding view but far away from luxury was the El Tovar Hotel at Grand Canyon. Also great was the view at Blue Palace Crete. At luxury-level in general resorts at Seychelles, Post Ranch Inn, FS Hong Kong or MO New York. I guess I forget some but don't remember something else spectacular at the moment.

Last edited by offerendum; Feb 20, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:41 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by stimpy
Stunning hotel location does not necessarily mean stunning or even luxury hotel. For instance top on my list would be either of the 2 star Bhutanese hotels I stayed at in Paro and Thimphu. Amazing views, crisp clean mountain air and the most rare experiences as a visitor. But not at all luxury.

Approaching Positano by boat at sunset is very stunning, but the hotel you check into upon arrival may not be.

I've had a couple of Holiday Inn rooms in Paris that have stunning views of the Eiffel Tower. I could go on.
But the thread is obviously asking about stunning luxury hotel locations...

I haven't been - but ones like Six Senses Zighy Bay or Alila Jabal Akhdar would probably be other contenders, along with Wildflower Hall.

On the fine line of luxury, JW Marriott Walnut Grove Resort & Spa in Mussoorie (Google it) looks pretty awesome for a location, but there are probably hundreds of hotels like this.
nmuva98 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Anantara Jabal Akhdar - pool villa with cliff view
Qasr al Sarab - any room works
&Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge - no picture I take will ever do it enough justice
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Dellas Boutique Hotel in Meteora Greece.

While not on par with many of the " luxury " hotels listed, the location was one I will never forget in all our world travels.

Watching the sun rise over the natural rock pillars and hearing the nightingales in the distant woods from our terrace still brings goosebumps.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Love this thread! I was searching tips for amalfi coast this summer and this thread came up!

In terms of most stunning locations, Both the Anantara and Alila in Jabal Akhdar in Oman is stunning, I have loved Hotel Alfonso in Sevilla as well as its a palace within the city and just stunning, In Bodrum the Aman there is beautiful and having stayed at several places in the Maldives I would say the Park Hyatt there is my favourite (more than the Six Senses and St Regis) as it is a tiny island and yet you feel you have the whole place to yourself in beautiful amazing surroundings.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
In addition to Amangiri and Alila Jabal Akhdar, I'd also recommend the Wolwedans camps/lodge in the NamibRand in Namibia. The desert scenery and colors are simply spectacular, and the product offered is quite good. A little less polished, but truly a one-of-a-kind hotel in a unique setting is Pelican Point Lodge near Walvis Bay. Driving some 20 kilometers through the sand to get there is half of the fun.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:42 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Love this thread!

I have loved Hotel Alfonso in Sevilla as well as its a palace within the city and just stunning, .
Here right now and must agree- we love it!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:37 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Sampling the local cuisine is a priority for me, so receiving a gift box of Saudi dates at the Ritz-Carlton Riyadh was a treat. The hotel was also beautifully kept, and...is now infamous.

I also liked the bucolic setting of the Suiran Kyoto, but golly their breakfast let me down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.