Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Lux Options with 2 kids Phuket or Krabi, Thailand

Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex

Here I am again booking somewhat last minute for spring break 2019 (early April).

We are a family of four (2 adults + 2 girls 10 and 6) so it's always about where we can all fit all four us into a regular suite (e.g. FS Seychelles, FS Kuda Huraa) or a 1BR suite/villa, without either going overboard (do the kids really need a wing to themselves?) or having completely independent room layouts (e.g. on either side of a pool) as we don't like having the kids in a separate structure. The kids don't take a lot of space yet but capacity is often technically limited to 3 guests online, but 4 often ok.

So we are currently looking at 4-6 nights in Phuket or Krabi. I've been advised by a friend in Singapore that weather in Phuket/Krabi is getting rainy then and she said to maybe consider Koh Samui, but I'm not excited about the options there. Based on the data, I'm not sure that weather should really be a problem (not scared of a bit of rain), but happy to hear your collective thoughts as well.

Great service goes without saying, but other differentiating factors would be:
- nice beach
- good food
- private pool
- not kid hostile (don't need a kids club but...)

There's availability at:
- Trisara - recs on room choice welcome. They seem to be running a special. Should I jump on that?
- Six Senses Yao Noi
- The Surin
- Phulay Bay
- Rayavadee - are the beach crowds really an issue?
- Pimalai
- Anantara Layan
- Am I missing an obvious choice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:45 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Macmyday thinks iniala is the best down there, and he’s pretty well traveled.
MacMyDay likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

trisara >
jr suite not ideal but may be good value (connecting?)
some 1BR villa pools are parallel, most perpendicular
beach not ideal but completely private

anyone know if YTL still owns Villa Tassana by trisara?

some other >
amanpuri - top pavilion, pool pavilion if looking at trisara villa
sri panwa - luxury B or 2BR, 2BR Residence is discounted 4BR
(layan includes residences if looking at trisara villa)

some prefer resort to iniala, iniala not ideal when fully booked

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 17, 2019 at 2:56 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:05 pm

Trisara, Amanpuri, Anantara Layan, and Rayavadee all come to mind as having ideal two bedroom accommodation for families. Especially if budget allows for villas/residences, there are ideal options that are not too large.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:46 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Check when Songkran is on - that can be a fun event in April in Thailand, especially around the beaches.

Weather-wise, I like April - bit quieter season. You might get a passing (30-60 minute) shower or storm, but shouldn't be prolonged rain at this time of year.

Thai beaches aren't amazing in general (in my experience). Phuket best is definitely Amanpuri/Surin beach. Six Senses Yao Noi beaches are not good (avoid Phang Nga Bay beaches). Krabi area beaches are okay. Khao Lak (north of Phuket on Andaman Sea) has nice beaches.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Check when Songkran is on - that can be a fun event in April in Thailand, especially around the beaches.

Weather-wise, I like April - bit quieter season. You might get a passing (30-60 minute) shower or storm, but shouldn't be prolonged rain at this time of year.

Thai beaches aren't amazing in general (in my experience). Phuket best is definitely Amanpuri/Surin beach. Six Senses Yao Noi beaches are not good (avoid Phang Nga Bay beaches). Krabi area beaches are okay. Khao Lak (north of Phuket on Andaman Sea) has nice beaches.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Trisara, Amanpuri, Anantara Layan, and Rayavadee all come to mind as having ideal two bedroom accommodation for families. Especially if budget allows for villas/residences, there are ideal options that are not too large.

With Puri & Trisara , the room / bath area is large enough for 2 kids . Done this a few times , we have had kids with me in a room . There are day beds & extra nooks created where the younger ones can be heard though potentially not seen

Perhaps a pool pavilion for Puri

This year Songkran falls mid April , from 13 - 16 just before Easter !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 17, 2019 at 11:28 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:43 am

Amanpuri two bedroom pool pavillion is stunning.
Rayavadee family pavilions, or if budget allows Phranang, Rayavadee, or Ritalay Villas. Family pavilions with pool etc... also available.
Four Seasons Koh Samui family accommodation, with two single beds in children’s room.
Anantara Layan two bedroom beachfront villa, Layan Residences two bedrooms.
Trisara two bedroom villa, or on the upper levels regular suites with living rooms and connecting options suitable for families.

Whatever the budget and requirements are, plenty of good options including the ones I have mentioned, as well as at other resorts.

Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, everyone. Very helpful, as always.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Just close the loop on this topic, we decided to book at the Rayavadee for its proximity to a good beach (albeit a busy one) and good sleeping arrangements for our two young children. It was a bit of quieter week in between easter and public holidays. Rates were good. Booking was flexible and they had no issues when we had to shift our dates a bit even though it was a pre-paid rate.

We booked a pool villa through LHW. Our stay was very nice. Service was very good. Food was good, but on the pricey for Thailand. We did a couple private boat excursions to Phi Phi and Hong Island. Also expensive, but nice boat, nice crew and guide, and zero hassle.

We scored a very nice room upgrade, so have to credit them for that:

We orignally booked a pool villa, with the next category being a family villa. When we checked in, I inquired nicely whether they had been able to give us the LHW upgrade (I knew they hadn't by that point). The guest services person looking after us excused himself for a bit and came back with the manager who said that the family villas were fully occupied but offered to upgrade us to the 3-bedroom Phranang Villa located slightly off property, less than 10 meters down the beach.... with all the caveats of the tides (you have to walk in water at high tide to get to the villa), boat traffic and day trippers. It was hard to refuse... The villas face the water (elevated a few feet), views are amazing, with your own pool, dining room and terrace in addition to the three detached bedrooms. We were assigned a butler who take very good care of us as well. The flow of day-trippers on Phranang beach is indeed quite constant, but we were mentally prepped for that, thankfully.

Last edited by extramileage; May 9, 2019 at 7:03 am
Old May 30, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: too many
If you wish to go back to Thailand in that area, I would recommend Rawi Warin or Pimalai as well, quite relaxing and Koh Lanta in April is lovely too (end of summer season there, so less touristy and much more enjoyable to rent scooters and ride across the island!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.