Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Bordeaux wine tastings

Bordeaux wine tastings

Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Bordeaux wine tastings

Any recommendations for where to stay in Bordeaux? I see some reviews for the IC but not much else. It seems like a lot of the smaller boutique hotels may be nice too, at least that was the case in Provence. Also any recommendations for luxury wine tasting tours? Any experience with the tours on virtuoso?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini, Le Club AccorHotels, Rosewood Elite, Shangri-La, Four Seasons PP, etc.
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
Any recommendations for where to stay in Bordeaux? I see some reviews for the IC but not much else. It seems like a lot of the smaller boutique hotels may be nice too, at least that was the case in Provence. Also any recommendations for luxury wine tasting tours? Any experience with the tours on virtuoso?
Depending on what you like, the Chateau de Mirambeau could be a great option. It's a neo-renaissance castle, as the name implies. The other option I can think of is Les Sources de Caudalie, a beautiful chateau with a great spa, and it's next to the hotel's owners winery.
As for the tours, there are many good ones, Bordeaux Excellence has a number of them including one guided by a Michelin starred chef. Decouvertes Inc is another tour company I recommend. I am affiliated with Virtuoso and can attest to both of them, as well as the hotels. A wine tasting tour is a must in Bordeaux!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I also highly recommend Les Sources de Caudalie, owners being of Smith Haut-Lafite winery. It’s a beautiful place in the middle of the vineyards with a very good restaurant and they make some really great wines. I would suggest a room in the newer garden facing buildings as they are more modern and up to date. If you stay a night in downtown Bordeaux I suggest La Grande Maison de Bernard Magrez. It’s a small hotel with a Pierre Gagniere restaurant. The rooms Are not exactly to my taste ( I prefer more clean lines), but we enjoyed it for one night, and the new wine museum in town is nice to visit.
In St Emillion I recommend the Hostellerie de Plaisance, another small family owned hotel we thought absolutely lovely.
We organized our wine tasting through a Bordeaux wine group we belong to in the US, but the hotels can likely set things up for you as well.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Member

One of the better ways to experience French countryside, villages and towns as well as vineyards is via a barge cruise. Expeditions, often wine/food wine centric, included each day, all meals, drinks wine. The cuisine is super fresh and fine.

https://www.bargeladycruises.com/bro...ance/bordeaux/
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks all for the response. Any recommended properties on the left bank? And is it a hassle to stay in the city center (at the IC) and do day trips to different vineyards / is it better to stay near vineyards?

We're not planning on renting a car, so will rely on tours for all transportation around Bordeaux.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:24 pm

It's a solid hour from pauillac back down to the city center. It's not ideal but definitely doable. Have done it a few times myself. Also depends on how you want to spend your evenings. Paulliac, Margaux, etc are quite sleepy. If you want to walk to a nice dinner, walk around after dinner, etc then it's worth staying in Bordeaux. If you did stay at wineries, it would be tough to get around to other restaurants if you didn't have a rental car.

I've not stayed at the Hostellerie but I've eaten there twice and if the hotel is half as good as the restaurant, you should spend a night there. They'll also set you up with a tour or two in St Emillion so you don't need a car or a tour that day.

ETA: had a great meal at Cordellian Bages. They also have rooms. Rooms look less luxurious than Sources de Caudilie. But the food was much better. And Cordellian Bages is in the middle of the left bank whereas I believe SHL is further south in Pessac.

Last edited by boolean64; Feb 14, 2019 at 3:16 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Larkin
I also highly recommend Les Sources de Caudalie, owners being of Smith Haut-Lafite winery. It’s a beautiful place in the middle of the vineyards with a very good restaurant and they make some really great wines. I would suggest a room in the newer garden facing buildings as they are more modern and up to date. If you stay a night in downtown Bordeaux I suggest La Grande Maison de Bernard Magrez. It’s a small hotel with a Pierre Gagniere restaurant. The rooms Are not exactly to my taste ( I prefer more clean lines), but we enjoyed it for one night, and the new wine museum in town is nice to visit.
In St Emillion I recommend the Hostellerie de Plaisance, another small family owned hotel we thought absolutely lovely.
We organized our wine tasting through a Bordeaux wine group we belong to in the US, but the hotels can likely set things up for you as well.
There are a couple other vineyards that have smallish hotels on site. It's a good experience, but they're roughly the lowest category R&C (so not true luxury) with a (close to) one Michelin star restaurant.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Like a few others I can highly recommend Caudalie -- excellent property with beautifully appointed suites with just the right amount of 'rustic' character. Caudalie toiletries and scented candles provided multiple times per day. The Mariage Frčres tea was very popular with the Mrs. Overall F&B is excellent -- the in-room French breakfast on the suite balcony was epic. So was the on-property Michelin starred restaurant.

A perfect base to explore the surrounding wineries on the free bicycles.
KatW and kmora like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We also highly recommenbd Hostellerie de Plaisance. Not only is the hotel wonderful, but its restaurant has a very well deserved Michelin star--and the village of St. Emillion may be the most picturesque and quaint town/village in all of Bordeaux.

They also set us up with an amazing wine tour and guide--and everyone knows how demanding I am with wine!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
La Grande Maison de Bernard Magrez. It’s a small hotel with a Pierre Gagniere restaurant.
Does anyone know if the hotel has closed permanently? I believe the restaurant has, too.
It may have been converted to a private function space. Can anyone confirm?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:49 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know if the hotel has closed permanently? I believe the restaurant has, too.
It may have been converted to a private function space. Can anyone confirm?
That would be a pity. The restaurant was lovely.

Caudalie is great, as is Mirambeau. In BOD the IC is nice.
The rooms at Lynch-Bages are nice too.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Fliar
That would be a pity. The restaurant was lovely.

Caudalie is great, as is Mirambeau. In BOD the IC is nice.
The rooms at Lynch-Bages are nice too.
The Magrez website is gone, and it says it's only for private bookings.
offerendum likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.