Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Phuket: Trisara vs. Amanpuri (Room vs Room)

Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I booked a trip to Trisara in the seven-bedroom Villa No. 5 (https://trisara.com/category/suite-v...om-residences/) because the views look terrific. There is only two of us going on this trip, but I like the option to have more bedrooms so others can join. However, everyone keeps saying that we should go to the Amanpuri. I do have a few concerns: 1) The views aren't as good and 2) Trisara is $5,330 a night, whereas Amanpuri is significantly more unless we get the two-bedroom ocean view villa for $5,200 a night (https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanpur...om-ocean-villa). Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Am about to stay at both again . We often split our stays with Trisara being the first stop and ending at Puri with the better beach .
How many days are you planning ? Not sure what you mean by views are terrific at Trisara & not as good at .. ? Views if of Andaman sea , are similar !

For first timers ( who enjoy a certain calibre of accommodation & service ) to the region / Phuket , then Amanpuri for sure .. but beware , potentially downhill after . Be prepared to budget well for future stays especially if become an AMANjunkie

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 10, 2019 at 8:58 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Am about to stay at both again . We often split our stays with Trisara being the first stop and ending at Puri with the better beach .
How many days are you planning ? Not sure what you mean by views are terrific at Trisara & not as good at .. ? Views if of Andaman sea , are similar !

For first timers ( who enjoy a certain calibre of accommodation & service ) to the region / Phuket , then Amanpuri for sure .. but beware , potentially downhill after . Be prepared to budget well for future stays especially if become an AMANjunkie

Thank you! Our trip looks like this:
  • 12/30 - 1/2 (3 Nights) - Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
  • 1/2 - 1/5 (3 Nights) - Four Seasons Golden Triangle
  • 1/5 - 1/8 (3 Nights) - Four Seasons Chiang Mai
  • 1/8 - 1/13 (5 Nights) - Four Seasons Koh Sumai
  • 1/13 - 1/17 (4 Nights) - Trisara Phuket
The Four Seasons are their minimum required nights (3 in the North, 5 in the South). Their current special is Stay three nights and get the fourth free. Unfortunately, my stays are too far out so they don't qualify. The trip was a gift so I wanted to book it, regardless. Hopefully the special comes back where I can rebook to 4 nights.

Based on our itinerary, would you recommend I split Phuket between Amanpuri and Trisara? What room would you recommend at Aman? I don't want to spend more than the $5k range a night, as that's already wildly outrageous to me haha.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:12 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
Hey all,

I booked a trip to Trisara in the seven-bedroom Villa No. 5 (https://trisara.com/category/suite-v...om-residences/) because the views look terrific. There is only two of us going on this trip, but I like the option to have more bedrooms so others can join. However, everyone keeps saying that we should go to the Amanpuri. I do have a few concerns: 1) The views aren't as good and 2) Trisara is $5,330 a night, whereas Amanpuri is significantly more unless we get the two-bedroom ocean view villa for $5,200 a night (https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanpur...om-ocean-villa). Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
IMO....
Amanpuri residence villas >>> Trisara residence villas

There are many other factors to consider though, and if your biggest concern is views, Trisara's villas generally have better and more expanisve ocean views than Amanpuri does.

However, honestly, if there are just 2 of you, don't splurge on the Trisara (or Amanpuri) residences - opt for one of the two-bedroom ocean front villas or the signature villas. You'll save a lot, and they acutally have nicer views than the residences IMO.

Amanpuri has the much better beach.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Thank you! Our trip looks like this:
  • 12/30 - 1/2 (3 Nights) - Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
  • 1/2 - 1/5 (3 Nights) - Four Seasons Golden Triangle
  • 1/5 - 1/8 (3 Nights) - Four Seasons Chiang Mai
  • 1/8 - 1/13 (5 Nights) - Four Seasons Koh Sumai
  • 1/13 - 1/17 (4 Nights) - Trisara Phuket
The Four Seasons are their minimum required nights (3 in the North, 5 in the South). Their current special is Stay three nights and get the fourth free. Unfortunately, my stays are too far out so they don't qualify. The trip was a gift so I wanted to book it, regardless. Hopefully the special comes back where I can rebook to 4 nights.

Based on our itinerary, would you recommend I split Phuket between Amanpuri and Trisara? What room would you recommend at Aman? I don't want to spend more than the $5k range a night, as that's already wildly outrageous to me haha.
Well , for when you are going , would skip Koh Samui .. Split between Trisara & Puri . Puri has many pavilions / villas to choose from , let them know your preferences .
As chinmoylad has posted , you do not really need a villa . Perhaps one of their pool pavilions would suffice .
You can choose just to relax or get ‘ busy ‘ perhaps cruising on one of their boats ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 10, 2019 at 9:58 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chinmoylad and FlyerEC , which specific residences ( # ) at amanpuri ?
4-7BR book as 2BR
8-9BR book as 4BR
premium ocean pavilion (# 105 noted below) - dramatic cantilever

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 11, 2019 at 8:35 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Well , for when you are going , would skip Koh Samui .. Split between Trisara & Puri . Puri has many pavilions / villas to choose from , let them know your preferences .
As chinmoylad has posted , you do not really need a villa . Perhaps one of their pool pavilions would suffice .
You can choose just to relax or get busy perhaps cruising on one of their boats ..
Really? Why skip Koh Samui? I have read it's a good time to visit, although being 2 degrees celsius colder than Phuket. 2018 was the worst year in 18 years for rain, but that was unusual. I heard great things about the FS in Koh Samui, which is why I wanted to visit (Among other reasons).

Let's just say I extend the trip. How many nights would you recommend at both Trisara and Aman?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:18 pm

Really? Why skip Koh Samui? I have read it's a good time to visit, although being 2 degrees celsius colder than Phuket. 2018 was the worst year in 18 years for rain, but that was unusual. I heard great things about the FS in Koh Samui, which is why I wanted to visit (Among other reasons).

Let's just say I extend the trip. How many nights would you recommend at both Trisara and Aman?
North east monsoon on eastern coast of Thailand & really not much there especially going to Phuket . Where did you read ‘ great things ‘ ?? On FT ?
Have you read chinmoylad ‘ s recent review & comments by other FTers ? ..
If you really have to stay , fewer nights - forget the offer .

3 / 4 nights in Trisara & 4 nights in Puri .

How much can you extend ?
Perhaps for BKK , 4 nights in MOBKK , at least .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 10, 2019 at 5:58 pm Reason: Questions
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

North east monsoon on eastern coast of Thailand & really not much there especially going to Phuket . Where did you read great things ?? On FT ?
Have you read chinmoylad s recent review & comments by other FTers ? ..
If you really have to stay , fewer nights - forget the offer .

3 / 4 nights in Trisara & 4 nights in Puri .

How much can you extend ?
Perhaps for BKK , 4 nights in MOBKK , at least .
Ah, thank you! Coming from NYC, I want to experience a little bit of, all of Thailand so I can go back to my favorite spots. It's so far away!! My schedule is wide open all of January. My girlfriend, however, has a full-time job. I'm planning on proposing within the next few months, which will change up her schedule (As long as her mom doesn't yell at her).

We are staying at MOBKK for three nights over NYE....However, they haven't released their schedule. I can't book a room. Kind of pissed about it. Before is available. After is available. What's the big deal? Green is green. THB's are THB's.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:48 pm

Ah, thank you! Coming from NYC, I want to experience a little bit of, all of Thailand so I can go back to my favorite spots. It's so far away!! My schedule is wide open all of January. My girlfriend, however, has a full-time job. I'm planning on proposing within the next few months, which will change up her schedule (As long as her mom doesn't yell at her).

We are staying at MOBKK for three nights over NYE....However, they haven't released their schedule. I can't book a room. Kind of pissed about it. Before is available. After is available. What's the big deal? Green is green. THB's are THB's.
Erh , MOBKK is not like MONY . Likely minimum nights for stays over CHRISTmas & New Years . Probably fully booked by now too ..
But if you pm me , perhaps can see how it goes .
You may need to stay elsewhere - jet lag elsewhere - & return to MOBKK few days later to fully enjoy , especially if you skip Koh Samui this trip .

Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Haha, that's not an option. MONY = MO New York? Not open yet. MOBKK emailed me and said reservations are not available yet, unfortunately.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:08 pm

Haha, that's not an option. MONY = MO New York? Not open yet. MOBKK emailed me and said reservations are not available yet, unfortunately.
Huh ? Have stayed MONY few times . In Time Warner by Columbus Circle

Going to be in touch with MOBKK shortly for ourselves ..
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Huh ? Have stayed MONY few times . In Time Warner by Columbus Circle

Going to be in touch with MOBKK shortly for ourselves ..

What the heck was I thinking? I was stuck on Aman - sorry!!!

Also, Dafuq! MOBKK has a four-night minimum for NYE. Apparently the two booking agents and the email to the actual hotel were unaware of this. As the saying goes: if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Since the hotel couldn't even help me book a room, I lack confidence in their abilities to recommend a room. Any room recommendations for NYE? Maybe any that capture the fireworks? Or, if not, the best room with a view? The big boy suites are going for $16,000 a night; that's out of the question. My budget is aat the Garden Suite or lower.

Last edited by EaglesFan0909; Feb 10, 2019 at 8:32 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:11 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Re: the Koh Samui option - Koh Samui is somewhat similar to Phuket. For the average traveller, Koh Samui is better - the average beach is generally nicer than what you get in Phuket, but Phuket's best luxury properties and best beaches I'd say are much nicer than Samui. Samui, owing to its size, is also not really a destination to spend a lot of time in (beyond just sitting around doing nothing). There's more to do around the Phuket region.
But it also depends a lot on what you're looking for - Koh Samui is generally more quaint/smaller/less crowded (though no doubt some areas are quite crowded and have similar vibes to Phuket, plus there's the whole Full Moon Party thing going on)

Both Samui and Phuket have interesting areas around (the national park near Samui and neighbouring islands), with Phuket it's Krabi/Phi Phi/Phang Nga Bay/Racha.

Here's a suggestion - rather than doing both Amanpuri and Trisara, if you do want to split up your stays, then do one of the two in Phuket, and then something near Krabi/Phang Nga Bay for a totally different experience.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I've stayed at both Trisara and Puri at least a dozen times each including both pavillions and villas. Puri overall is much nicer. Trisara has better accommodations. As others have said, no reason really to stay in a villa. Normally I stay in Pavillion 105 at Amanpuri. It's the nicest.

I would skip FS Koh Samui and FS Tented Camp in Golden Triange.

I prefer The Siam or the Shangrila over the Mandarin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.