Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico, my haven

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:30 pm

Does anyone have any views of the luxury 'stalwarts' of Cabos and which to go for? Currently trying to decide between Only & Only Palmilla and Las Ventanas? This would be for 2 adults, no children in tow.

I would normally consider FS but the property doesn't evoke a sense of place to me. Any thoughts welcome.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:21 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by yhm85
Does anyone have any views of the luxury 'stalwarts' of Cabos and which to go for? Currently trying to decide between Only & Only Palmilla and Las Ventanas? This would be for 2 adults, no children in tow.
The general consensus from our team is that Rosewood Ventanas is the best option for adults only.... unless your budget allows for some marquee accommodations at Palmilla.
But both options still rank very high even with all the new builds in the area
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Ventanas has much more of a desert vibe. Palmilla has created a tropical feel. Both are very nice and both charge outrageous prices once you are there.
offerendum and LinLant like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:06 pm

Any recent reviews of Montage Los Cabos? Going in April.Normally we stay at Chileno Bay or Esperanza but giving Momtage a try.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by KatW
The town of Oaxaca is a favorite inland Mexican destination. I last was there at age 15 but the remarkable beauty, charm, sincere hospitality never has faded. We had been before, hence our return. It's magical.
KatW, have you returned since this post? If so, where did you stay and did it appeal?

I see that KI-NRT has booked Casa Oaxaca this coming Christmas. Knowing him, he has thoroughly researched it. Has anyone stayed recently who can report on it? Any other properties that are centrally located and a delight?

What about restaurants?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 6, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:57 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
KatW, have you returned since this post? If so, where did you stay and did it appeal?

I see that KI-NRT has booked Casa Oaxaca this coming Christmas. Knowing him, he has thoroughly researched it. Has anyone stayed recently who can report on it? Any other properties that are centrally located and a delight?

What about restaurants?
Regret I’ve not been back io Oaxaca although it remains on my go list and I think you would love it. I trust KI-NRT, too.

I am returning to Mexico this week but to Las Ventanas in Cabo. Not a Cabo per se fan but I love the villa with private pool at Las Ventanas.
mstraveler and LinLant like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 3:19 pm

This is a very useful thread.

If you are still reading KatW, what rooms would you recommend at Mahekal beach resort. I am intrigued by your recommendation given your other hotel preferences in Mexico and elsewhere. I have 3 children so am in rather different circumstances to you but would value your thoughts. I also liked the look of Ana y Jose in Tulum that a couple of other posters mentioned as well as the various rural haciendas like Santa Rosa that Marriott took over.

I am not used to staying in such huge resort style hotels along the lines of many of the other well reviewed family options. Our third child also makes rates a complete killer as even extremely large suites only seem to take 4 people max. I am now thinking of adding in a couple of nights at the FS in Mexico City as it seems so cheap!
KatW likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belsize77
This is a very useful thread.

If you are still reading KatW, what rooms would you recommend at Mahekal beach resort. I am intrigued by your recommendation given your other hotel preferences in Mexico and elsewhere. I have 3 children so am in rather different circumstances to you but would value your thoughts. I also liked the look of Ana y Jose in Tulum that a couple of other posters mentioned as well as the various rural haciendas like Santa Rosa that Marriott took over.

I am not used to staying in such huge resort style hotels along the lines of many of the other well reviewed family options. Our third child also makes rates a complete killer as even extremely large suites only seem to take 4 people max. I am now thinking of adding in a couple of nights at the FS in Mexico City as it seems so cheap!
Mahekal is not one of those huge resorts. It is medium size with most accommodations in stand-alone two-story palapa style rooms. Of course the one-story rooms on beachfront are more expensive and have more amenities. It is VERY popular with families but that didn’t bother us (much). The beach and swimming there is unparalleled. The food is plentiful but on the meh spectrum. I adore cheap Mexican food so I was happy. Breakfast includes every known morning offering (barring Asian and Chinese tastes) plus fresh juices, Loads of fruit and enough sugary cereals to ensure complete hyperactivity in your kids. The landscaping is lovely and the ethos VERY typical of the area. The ambience is very cheerful and happy — a true holiday, kiss-your-cares-goodbye place.

It’s also affordable for most budgets. But, don’t book for holiday season.

It is a great place for families and couples. I don’t know how they manage to carry that off but they do. Part of the credit goes to long-time staff who are competent, kind and knowledgeable. It is one of the few non-luxury places to which I willingly would return.
obscure2k and belsize77 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:31 am

Thanks a lot for the detailed response KatW. I will definitely consider it for a few days on the basis of your recommendation.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 1:19 pm

We are spending four nights at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba with a group of friends followed by four nights at Hotel Esencia. Very much looking forward to the Hotel Esencia... but would have preferred the Rosewood over Banyan Tree but with our group the three bedroom villas offer the most bang for the buck. Anyone have feedback on Esencia?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by tmr10001
We are spending four nights at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba with a group of friends followed by four nights at Hotel Esencia. Very much looking forward to the Hotel Esencia... but would have preferred the Rosewood over Banyan Tree but with our group the three bedroom villas offer the most bang for the buck. Anyone have feedback on Esencia?
We were at Esencia last month and enjoyed it a lot. Very intimate resort with great attention to detail. Service was genuine and warm throughout and most requests were fulfilled promptly and correctly. Food was very good (though expensive) but it got a little bit repetitive towards the end of our week-long stay. Great live music by the pool and restaurant everyday.

Room was functional and well-decorated, but some minor touch ups may be needed. I was worried about influencers destroying the atmosphere (it is a very instagrammable hotel and they seem to have a large online following) but was pleasantly surprised by how low-key most of the guests seemed to be. You should try to ask for a room closer to the main building - it is quite a long walk to the facilities from some of the rooms tucked away in the jungle.

Spa was very good with skilled massage therapists. Again, very pricey but the treatments were good so I will give it a pass. Try to arrive early and enjoy the hot tubs.

The beach was full of sargassum but the team there did a very good job clearing the parts in front of the hotel throughout the day. Don’t miss the private cenote tour with the family of manatees!

I don’t think it’s worth the exorbitant prices it’s charging these days even in the summer but we got in on a third night free promotion so it was a reasonable value. We will be back when pricing comes back to normal post the COVID rush.

Last edited by Fc912; Jun 15, 2021 at 9:41 am
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

New Auberge resort on the Riviera Maya — Etereo

https://aubergeresorts.com/etereo/?u...ID=11094657002

The layout doesn’t immediately grab me.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:42 pm

I agree. This one doesn’t grab me either. Their Punta Mita resort looks great and is supposed to open next year.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is it Punta Mita or part of the same master plan that the One & Only is in?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:39 pm

It is Punta De Mita technically. Just a few miles from the main Punta Mita Development.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.