Mexico, my haven

Reply

Old Mar 22, 19, 1:49 pm
  #31  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,993


View from the terrace


Mid-afternoon on the terrace


Just part of our gargantuan terrace


Sunset on the terrace


View from a palapa


Lowest level, just above the sea


Lower saltwater pool and jacuzzi


Crown of thorns -- gardening is gorgeous throughout


From a walkway


Another palapa in upper right corner


From a walkway

Our respite at Casa Que Canta earlier this month was marred by my fracturing an ankle early on. But the resort was, as always, exquisite, laid back, artfully designed and decorated. Service is grand but not overbearing. Staff are sweet, kind, super competent and desirous of pleasing ... yet not obsequious. I adore this most Mexican of small resorts. without question, on my World's Best list.

It never is old or tired, rather glowing with welcome and no end of nooks and crannies in which to repose in comfortable fashion in and out of the sun. Surprizing touches everywhere. Views are magnificent with the ocean billowing where resort meets the sea.

Plus, a decent size private pool in some suites. All accommodations are large and feature a generous terrace. Food is quite good, drinks are to die for, or at least break a leg for, haha.

Our rate for a private pool suite in the Luna wing was $868 inclusive of tax, service and breakfast.


Last edited by KatW; Mar 22, 19 at 4:48 pm
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 2:03 pm
  #32  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,993
As for safety, never had a moment's concern. And, apparently the many tourists at the airport had no concerns either. The principality takes security seriously -- tourism is its lifeblood. The resort employs guards who are discrete.
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 11:38 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 794
Originally Posted by KatW View Post


View from the terrace


Mid-afternoon on the terrace


Just part of our gargantuan terrace


Sunset on the terrace


View from a palapa


Lowest level, just above the sea


Lower saltwater pool and jacuzzi


Crown of thorns -- gardening is gorgeous throughout


From a walkway


Another palapa in upper right corner


From a walkway

Our respite at Casa Que Canta earlier this month was marred by my fracturing an ankle early on. But the resort was, as always, exquisite, laid back, artfully designed and decorated. Service is grand but not overbearing. Staff are sweet, kind, super competent and desirous of pleasing ... yet not obsequious. I adore this most Mexican of small resorts. without question, on my World's Best list.

It never is old or tired, rather glowing with welcome and no end of nooks and crannies in which to repose in comfortable fashion in and out of the sun. Surprizing touches everywhere. Views are magnificent with the ocean billowing where resort meets the sea.

Plus, a decent size private pool in some suites. All accommodations are large and feature a generous terrace. Food is quite good, drinks are to die for, or at least break a leg for, haha.

Our rate for a private pool suite in the Luna wing was $868 inclusive of tax, service and breakfast.

Oh this makes me miss La Casa. We went every year for many years and finally stopped a few years after Alaska Airlines stopped their nonstop from SFO. After seeing your photos We have to go back! We used to always stay in Valentina. I think that was in some of your photos? Is Teresa still there? We absolutely love the place, the service, the food, and the authentic Mexican details and decor. Thank you for sharing.
Larkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:41 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,054
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
As for safety, never had a moment's concern. And, apparently the many tourists at the airport had no concerns either. The principality takes security seriously -- tourism is its lifeblood. The resort employs guards who are discrete.
Thank you - so helpful.
KatW likes this.
Londonjetsetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:13 am
  #35  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,993
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
Oh this makes me miss La Casa. We went every year for many years and finally stopped a few years after Alaska Airlines stopped their nonstop from SFO. After seeing your photos We have to go back! We used to always stay in Valentina. I think that was in some of your photos? Is Teresa still there? We absolutely love the place, the service, the food, and the authentic Mexican details and decor. Thank you for sharing.
Yes, wonderful Teresa stil manages all to perfection.
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 5:33 pm
  #36  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,993
I keep saying our traveling days are coming to an end given Jim's dementia but this place has me hoping we can squeeze in one more Mexico trip in September. Yes, I know it will be hot as blazes and humid to boot. Please chime in with your impressions if you have stayed there.

Hotel Esencia | Luxury Beach Resorts | Tulum, Mexico
KI-NRT, MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by KatW; Jun 7, 19 at 5:39 pm
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:51 am
  #37  
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,537
Hear, hear to @KatW!

Mexico is also one of my favorites. I’m not fluent but I can speak functionally in Spanish, and I absolutely love the Mexican culture and people as well as the spectacular beauty of the Mexican landscapes and seascapes. The proximity to us via our local SNA or even LAX airports makes it even better for me. My husband prefers Hawaii, but me being the wife means I almost always win.

We are returning to Mexico in Jan 2020 for my 50th bday celebration for our first stays at Chable Yucatán and Hotel Esencia Tulum. A hearty thanks to @BESVISOR as well as @MacMyDay and his beautiful Lucie for their recommendations and guidance in our selection of those properties.

My favorites in Mexico thus far:

Zihuatanejo. Only stayed at Villa Del Sol but dying to try La Case Que Canta. It’ll happen soon.

Punta Mita. We vastly prefer the St Regis over the Four Seasons, partly for the adults only pool at the StR, the better F&B at the StR, and the more dramatic shoreline of the StR, not to mention my Marriott Ambassador status affording us all sorts of upgrade and other VIP privileges there. But both properties are lovely. The Imanta Resort outside Punta Mita is another great property for F&B options, as is the surprisingly good F&B and much nicer swimming beach at the W Punta de Mita that is 20 min away.

Mexico City. I was surprised by how much I loved the city. The food and hotels are world class. I prefer the very modern and spacious St Regis largely because of its wonderful service and incredible bar and terrace, but the Four Seasons and Las Alcobas both offer a more authentic Mexican feel.

We look forward to trying Las Alamandas and San Miguel de Allende at some point in the future, too. Oaxaca is also on our radar.
KatW and damon88 like this.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:40 am
  #38  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 1,006
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Hear, hear to @KatW!

Mexico is also one of my favorites. I’m not fluent but I can speak functionally in Spanish, and I absolutely love the Mexican culture and people as well as the spectacular beauty of the Mexican landscapes and seascapes. The proximity to us via our local SNA or even LAX airports makes it even better for me. My husband prefers Hawaii, but me being the wife means I almost always win.

We are returning to Mexico in Jan 2020 for my 50th bday celebration for our first stays at Chable Yucatán and Hotel Esencia Tulum. A hearty thanks to @BESVISOR as well as @MacMyDay and his beautiful Lucie for their recommendations and guidance in our selection of those properties.

My favorites in Mexico thus far:

Zihuatanejo. Only stayed at Villa Del Sol but dying to try La Case Que Canta. It’ll happen soon.

Punta Mita. We vastly prefer the St Regis over the Four Seasons, partly for the adults only pool at the StR, the better F&B at the StR, and the more dramatic shoreline of the StR, not to mention my Marriott Ambassador status affording us all sorts of upgrade and other VIP privileges there. But both properties are lovely. The Imanta Resort outside Punta Mita is another great property for F&B options, as is the surprisingly good F&B and much nicer swimming beach at the W Punta de Mita that is 20 min away.

Mexico City. I was surprised by how much I loved the city. The food and hotels are world class. I prefer the very modern and spacious St Regis largely because of its wonderful service and incredible bar and terrace, but the Four Seasons and Las Alcobas both offer a more authentic Mexican feel.

We look forward to trying Las Alamandas and San Miguel de Allende at some point in the future, too. Oaxaca is also on our radar.
Have fun!!
bhrubin likes this.
BESVISOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:26 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SNA
Posts: 361
Somehow I just saw this thread today. @KatW can you say more about Chileno Bay? I have never been there, but I was a little bit surprised to see it on your list because the impression I received (from Esperanza staff) was that it was a bit lower-end, and maybe intended to be a kind of rowdier/louder scene. Is that not the case? To be fair, we were told that by someone at Esperanza before Chileno Bay had even opened (they basically said "it won't be your style"), so maybe they were wrong, or maybe the direction changed. Or maybe you just like different things than we do, which is ok too
Cardboard55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:36 pm
  #40  
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Originally Posted by Cardboard55 View Post
Somehow I just saw this thread today. @KatW can you say more about Chileno Bay? I have never been there, but I was a little bit surprised to see it on your list because the impression I received (from Esperanza staff) was that it was a bit lower-end, and maybe intended to be a kind of rowdier/louder scene. Is that not the case? To be fair, we were told that by someone at Esperanza before Chileno Bay had even opened (they basically said "it won't be your style"), so maybe they were wrong, or maybe the direction changed. Or maybe you just like different things than we do, which is ok too
Having just returned from Cabo, my rankings for top properties would be:

1. El Dorado
2. Querencia

HUGE GAP
HUGE GAP
HUGE GAP

3. Chileno Bay (access to Chileno Bay)
4. Montage (access to Twin Dolphins)
5. Nobu (access to Diamante)
15. Las Ventanas. Could be nice if you are fasting.
DSI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 2:26 pm
  #41  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,537
Originally Posted by DSI View Post
Having just returned from Cabo, my rankings for top properties would be:

1. El Dorado
2. Querencia

HUGE GAP
HUGE GAP
HUGE GAP

3. Chileno Bay (access to Chileno Bay)
4. Montage (access to Twin Dolphins)
5. Nobu (access to Diamante)
15. Las Ventanas. Could be nice if you are fasting.
You are the master of hyperbole!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 10, 19 at 10:25 pm
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 6:16 pm
  #42  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,993
My March 2018 review of Chileno with photos:
Si, Si Auberge's Chileno Bay in Cabo

On Chileno Bay -- keep in mind we stayed in an oceanfront three-bedroom villa with indoor and outdoor kitchens and a large private pool.

The resort is very much luxury ... but as preferred by younger generations. The furnishings are not to my taste and mostly are not reflective of Mexico. Yet they are high quality, well coordinated. The bathrooms are lovely.

Esperanza (we have stayed) is far more traditional in style which suits me well enough. Where Chileno has it all over Esperanza, however, is its two SWIMMABLE beaches. One cannot swim or play in the ocean at Esperanza. Both resorts are well suited to family; even so, Chileno is the better choice.

B&F excellent at both but Chileno has the edge on Esperanza in that regard. Service at both excellent.

Because one of the beaches is open to the public, there is some noise from kids, volleyballers, etc. Great ocean toys at Chileno.

The two resorts are worlds apart yet both luxury.

Nobu's beds essentialy sit on the floor. That does not work for me, never mind the aesthetic there is so minimalist as to be almost anonymous and certainly has very little to do with Mexico. But, then, Cabo in the process of reinventing itself as a suburb of Los Angeles.
Cardboard55 and bhrubin like this.
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:44 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SNA
Posts: 361
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
Both resorts are well suited to family; even so, Chileno is the better choice.
Haha, because we have no children, “well suited to family” is often a downside to us (we don’t really mind a few kids around, but if it starts to feel like Wild Waves or Disneyland, it’s not where we want to be).
Cardboard55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:09 pm
  #44  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,993
Esperanza definitely is quieter but I think it's staid, very much Old World with a heavy hand. We have been going to Las Ventanas instead but I begin to tire of hemorrhaging piles of money.

We don't have kids either, a deliberate decision, so now, of course, I have an adult-size toddler whom I love very much, dementia notwithstanding.
Cardboard55 and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by KatW; Jun 11, 19 at 2:19 am
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:14 pm
  #45  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,993
Waldorf Astoria assumes operations at Pedregal in Cabo.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/h...astoria-mexico

Pedregal is on my no-return list.
bhrubin and MacMyDay like this.
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread