Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel Websites: Critique & Vent

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Here's what I find frustrating. Let's say a "superior" room is $x. A "deluxe" room is $1.5x. But there's no description that explains why I should pay 1.5x. Even when square footage is given, it's often a broad range that overlaps for both categories. I want to know why I should book the higher category room. Explain why it is a higher price. Is it closer to the beach? Is it a better view? What?
Agree. Websites for me not only aid in the decision making process in terms of which hotel/resort to book, but once you've decided on a place, the website should help guide choice of room type.
Square metreage, floorplan and photos are all useful, as well as a detailed description.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

francophile is that terrace no longer event-only ?

websites mostly avoid explaining why certain / entry room categories are not ideal

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 4, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:42 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I’d take a place with a flimsy website and excellent legitimate feedback over the four seasons anydays. I sort of like the confidence that this marketing has... reminds me of trying to google a hedge fund or a top end golf club, in which case there often are t even websites! I guess private villas would fit the bill here
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:56 pm

I do find that pics on TA can help. The ones taken by actual guests, not the hotel
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:34 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by farbster
I do find that pics on TA can help. The ones taken by actual guests, not the hotel
And the Oyster.com photos (which are often also on tripadvisor). So many photos there’s no need for speculation.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Ericka

And the Oyster.com photos (which are often also on tripadvisor). So many photos there’s no need for speculation.
Oyster is owned by tripadvisor. Oyster only helps if the hotel is and the room is question were pictured. Same with TA. Often you simply can´t find "the right" pictures. Also if rooms in a category vary they can mislead you. Oyster and TA are a good source and addition but don´tsubstitute a good hotel-homepage.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:57 am

I think that this hotel website tops anything I have ever seen for complete irrelevance - it's for the new Equinox New York, opening this June - https://equinox-hotels.com/ - and features Naomi Campbell, because......
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I think that this hotel website tops anything I have ever seen for complete irrelevance - it's for the new Equinox New York, opening this June - https://equinox-hotels.com/ - and features Naomi Campbell, because......
They beat Vlad to using supermodels in completely irrelevant posing. One of the worst hotel websites ever.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

previously >
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Stockholm is the Lydmar, right next to the Grand. I rather like it there. Careful with the web page. In the past it has been NSFW.
Originally Posted by DSI
I’d take a place with a flimsy website and excellent legitimate feedback over the four seasons anydays. I sort of like the confidence that this marketing has... reminds me of trying to google a hedge fund or a top end golf club, in which case there often are t even websites! I guess private villas would fit the bill here
are you talking about websites for regular luxury hotels or other types of properties

(as you are more a villa person, and i am more a room-in-villa person, vs hotels)

Originally Posted by offerendum
Oyster is owned by tripadvisor.
and tripadvisor spunoff from expedia. their clients are hotels, not guests

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 6, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Oh my. I made a mistake and clicked through. ... THAT is 30 seconds of my life that I can never get back. Reminds me of:
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

It´s really a good excample. It could be everything everywhere........
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I hate when the same pics are used for the different room categories. I also like a number of pics for each room/suite. I like to see bathroom, living area and bedroom, not just a pic through open balcony doors showing the outside and nothing in the room.
Ericka, FlyerEC, nmuva98 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks

If I ruled the world every hotel website would list how long the drive is from the airport, the vehicle options and cost for the transfers, the email address for the concierge, restaurant menus including bars and room service, and a detailed resort map. As a former information scientist, I also love a great FAQ.
I too always look for restaurant menus at hotels. I love seeing what I might get to eat on my holiday.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I too always look for restaurant menus at hotels. I love seeing what I might get to eat on my holiday.
It´s important (at least if not a huge numer of restaurants is around) especially if you don´t eat everything. If in a resort 95% of the dishes is not suitable for me I´m not a fan. Otherwise in the price-category I normally stay it should never be a problem to fulfill special wishes. Nevertheless I like to see the style etc. and of course prices.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hotels, not guests
On the one hand yes, but I think that´s only one side of the medal. Expedia lives from bookings on its site. If customers are unsatisfied with the information or the hotel (many identify it with Expedia) they won´t book again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.