Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel Websites: Critique & Vent

Luxury hotel Websites: Critique & Vent

Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
No worries for me, I'm not a billionaire.

Quel chuckle MacMyDay. I never look at videos but that's me and I am certifiably odd.

Some of my erstwhile professional life has been associated with internet user models and interfaces, particularly around content. And, it is textual and info content where most hotel websites fail.

As hinted above, this often is deliberate because venues see only the marketing aspects of their sites. Yet, with increasing emphasis on getting prospects to book directly on the website (thereby circumventing travel agents and their pound of flesh), it would behoove venues to enrich sites pragmatically with useful info most folk need in order to book. Every online booking is more money in the bank pure and simple, no commissions, no fuss, no muss.

I am likely to book luxury hotels online when my stay is one or two nights. I don't want to bother my travel advisor but want lots of good information. The better, more informative the website, the more likely I am to put that venue on my booking list.
Slightly off-topic as well but I "bother" my agent even for 1 night stays. I will almost never book direct off a website and use the website only for casual browsing.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:17 am

It seems that guests no longer appreciate any surprises at all (apart from bottles of Champagne, of course). They want to know exactly what they wll be getting before they book. What a contrast to the pre-website days, when we all sent off for hotel brochures, read articles in magazines and maybe even phoned the hotel in question.

I used to enjoy arriving at a hotel and being delighted by the numerous unanticipated aspects of it. I feel the same now.

Hotel websites invariably do not capture the essence of hotels. The camera often lies and the reality is sometimes not as good, or is even better than imagined. Surely, that is part of travel and discovery.

Do we really want to know exactly what our experience is going to be in advance? if that is the case, then why not just slap on a pair of goggles and go for virtual reality hotels! Maybe that is the future. I do hope not.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

does that apply to limited numbers/types of luxury hotels/properties? for example big city hotels?

certainly well said as usual. a few old aman reports said "i'm not going to tell you in this report what the surprises were." independent properties would do similar, but not any other brands.

pretty much the only thing i want to be able to do is book a specific accommodation, rather than category. some properties avoid this by having zero or minimal variation.

seems like there is more emphasis here on hard product vs in past. maybe its not much of a change in terms of preferences but just how discussion goes. sometimes it would be nice to have properties where they are offering things that transcend hard product, but requires great owners and managers, very tough. especially in these days of marketing 'expert' nonsensical trends that unfortunately can 'work'. and frankly, it is reality that some guests just want to instagram themselves etc. website design is assuming they are only gaining certain revenue from certain guests without ever losing revenue from other guests. unfortunately it can be very difficult to track lost revenue from existing/potential guests.

and one cannot quantify how surprises build real loyalty and can result in increased revenue.

also may be better for brand websites to underpromise and overdeliver, vs more typical opposite.

Originally Posted by KatW
interfaces...websites fail.
across industries there are often conflicts between those trying to explain why/how to make an effective interface and those who only care about other things
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 1, 2019 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:39 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Thumbs up Excellent post dear vuittonsofstyle

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
It seems that guests no longer appreciate any surprises at all (apart from bottles of Champagne, of course)

Do we really want to know exactly what our experience is going to be in advance? if that is the case, then why not just slap on a pair of goggles and go for virtual reality hotels! Maybe that is the future. I do hope not.
My best travel experiences were many times due to unexpected things happening or even incidents. Traveling can and should not be 100 % programmable. We may be old fashioned and the surly millennial's will soon dictate their way of life to us.

BTW: Just gave up my membership to the LHW Leaders Club after having been founding member in 2000. Luxury for me today means a certain risk taking, the unique guesthouse, the exotic restaurant, but certainly not the standardized "luxury" property telling me EXACTLY what I will get.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Member
Original Poster

You know, those two notions (surprise/unexpected delights, and much info and detail) are not in contradiction. They work together to make the most of the guest experience. It is a false dichotomy to set these against one another.
RichardInSF likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 1, 2019 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Kagehitokiri, you write: across industries there are often conflicts between those trying to explain why/how to make an effective interface and those who only care about other things

Uncertain of your meaning unless you refer to obscurant marketing. Especially at the luxurious high end, interfaces can be made to do both.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you never had conflicts with people who did not understand what you were doing as well as you did?

talking about bureaucracy and poor management / decision making.

some prefer a lack of standardization. longtime aman regulars were fine with original aman website.

Originally Posted by behuman
My best travel experiences were many times due to unexpected things happening or even incidents.
i would say the same thing about my experiences at some luxury properties, pretty much at properties that were not like regular hotels. i had never thought of it that way before. so well said, great posts.

sometimes i think one difference is whether one prefers properties unlike hotels, or likes both.
behuman likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 1, 2019 at 11:37 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I appreciate those points, but the FS website is not designed with industry professionals in mind, or even with the type of highly knowledgeable travelers here on this forum in mind. It’s no accident or oversight that highly detailed information is absent, it is by design.

The photography, such as of lovely Four Seasons beds, attentive housekeeping, reflections of palm trees in swimming pools, etc... is aimed at the viewer’s emotions. And it also does serve to gloss over details they may not want to highlight.
Interesting take. Basically, you're saying the FS website sucks on purpose. I can't quite convince myself that Hanlon's Razor is applicable here. I do agree that the FS web page is so bad that it might be intentional; a clear emphasis on style over substance.

Off topic -- I remain irritated that FS SF continues to use this photo in the advertising and web page: Veranda Terrace. I've never been able to find it.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Interesting take. Basically, you're saying the FS website sucks on purpose. I can't quite convince myself that Hanlon's Razor is applicable here. I do agree that the FS web page is so bad that it might be intentional; a clear emphasis on style over substance.

Off topic -- I remain irritated that FS SF continues to use this photo in the advertising and web page: Veranda Terrace. I've never been able to find it.
No, that is not what I meant. It may or may not suck - I preferred the older one - but what I am saying is that it is about marketing. It is not intended to provide fact sheet like details, or objective photography of what accommodations actually look like. Their goal is to sell the product.

The worst picture ever was used by Four Seasons Seattle. It showed beautiful weather (unlikely for Seattle) and an “aspirational” couple sitting by a fire pit. The man had a very awkward grin on his face for some reason. Things like that do suggest at least a certain level of stupidity comes into play when they choose photographs.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 2, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
if that is the case, then why not just slap on a pair of goggles and go for virtual reality hotels! Maybe that is the future. I do hope not.
I do not see that as being too far off. I'm curious if other denizens of this forum also watch these walkthroughs of luxury hotels on Youtube. I personally enjoy them as they give me a much better idea of what I can expect from a given property. I do like to know ahead exactly what I am getting. As for the "surprise" aspects, I count on these more on the software side. With so many luxury properties to choose from these days, I consider it a failure on my part if I end up at a substandard property because I did not do the necessary research/planning.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYx...O1YYa9yQ3lKC8w
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
I do not see that as being too far off. I'm curious if other denizens of this forum also watch these walkthroughs of luxury hotels on Youtube. I personally enjoy them as they give me a much better idea of what I can expect from a given property. I do like to know ahead exactly what I am getting. As for the "surprise" aspects, I count on these more on the software side. With so many luxury properties to choose from these days, I consider it a failure on my part if I end up at a substandard property because I did not do the necessary research/planning.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYx...O1YYa9yQ3lKC8w
I'm surprised hotels haven't gone this route but it can be bandwidth consumptive and they kind of have subcontracted it out to the influencers and Youtubers anyway.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS spent $18m to make website focus on reservations being made on mobile devices, it paid off in those terms, but my question remains how much revenue may have been lost due to changes

to clarify, the one thing i want to know and control is exact accommodation. less hard product and more location, layout, view, etc when they vary. it is the opposite of luxury when the worst room in the category is dramatically different from best room in category. worst rooms should not even be used for regular guests in most situations, if they are built/renovated.

websites never let guests know about the absolute worst rooms etc.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
There are many amazing owner-operated and non-chain resorts that have the absolute worst websites that are dated in both design and photography. It makes it a really tough sell - especially because typically the decor and architecture is also quite traditional. These have ended up being some of my favorite hotel experiences because they have such a strong sense of place.

I don't like the stock professional photo look with rose petals on the bed and a couple about to have a romantic moment - so awkward. But I am also not a fan of the Instagram model look. Both styles end up making everything look the same, instead of giving a visual for what makes the hotel compelling and unique.

If I ruled the world every hotel website would list how long the drive is from the airport, the vehicle options and cost for the transfers, the email address for the concierge, restaurant menus including bars and room service, and a detailed resort map. As a former information scientist, I also love a great FAQ.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here's what I find frustrating. Let's say a "superior" room is $x. A "deluxe" room is $1.5x. But there's no description that explains why I should pay 1.5x. Even when square footage is given, it's often a broad range that overlaps for both categories. I want to know why I should book the higher category room. Explain why it is a higher price. Is it closer to the beach? Is it a better view? What?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I remain irritated that FS SF continues to use this photo in the advertising and web page: Veranda Terrace. I've never been able to find it.
From the lobby, start walking towards the concierge desk. Keep on walking straight ahead and you will end up on the terrace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.