Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:53 am
formerly known as deathscar
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Aventine
Dubai JB had a few hiccups like the check-in, hideous spa and a poor spa treatment but it was overall a very good stay. I'd go back.
Only had the chance to visit Jumeirah Beach, but thought it was a nice property.

I don't say this often but those housekeepers should probably find a new line of work. Totally unbecoming of a top-of-the-line FS resort staff member to say that to a guest and let them drip and wait outside of her own room!!!
I know my partner would not have accepted that kind of attitude along with all the other intrusions. @chinmoylad I know you're on an industry rate stay but did they give any sort of service recovery?
Agree on your first comment - we never saw the same housekeeping staff after. I don't wish for anyone to lose their job because I'm extremely fussy, but housekeeping at the Four Seasons is probably not for such staff.

Bottle of complimentary sparkling wine was offered in our room the next day along with some treats.

Most of these issues happened on pretty much the first day/night. After those initial incidents, we had Oscar assigned to us and looking after us - he was quite good and our stay definitely picked up (until the final couple of incidents re: the mini bar - just make it obvious...really simple again, just seems a bit petty - and the bath tub).

There was also another incident I forgot to mention re: the slippers (can't remember if I mentioned it in my initial review). Also on the first night.
Basically, both beach silppers provided in-room were sized the same (which is poor form for a luxury resort), and were far too small for me. I asked for a replacement, once on the phone, and again when staff arrived with slippers that looked nothing like the Four Seasons Samui beach sliippers. I'm not sure how best to describe it, but the slippers they initially brought me were something you'd buy for USD$ 0.5 in a convenience store, and also were clearly not new and had quite clearly been used.
Here's as good a photo as what I can find for what they offered as a replacement:

So I had to show them that the slippers provided in-room do not fit me, and asked if they can bring a bigger size. The staff said they didn't have any other sizes for this. I'm a size 10 US - not particularly uncommon...the ones on offer were a USD 7 or 8 at best.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I also have a problem with the super-steep incline of the resort, as although you can walk to the beach, trying to negotiate the hill up to reception/restaurant is virtually impossible, so you are forced to call for a buggy.

This resort is owned by Bill Heinecke of Minor (Anantara etc) and I guess that if he did not have a couple of Anantaras on the island, he would have rebranded the Four Seasons, as he did in Bangkok.
I am a fan of the resort, and think it is without doubt the best option on Koh Samui.

From what I have been told, Minor has no intention of rebranding any of the remaining FS properties, as they all benefit from Four Seasons management and marketing. The rates Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, and Golden Triangle achieve more than justify the management contracts. Four Seasons Bangkok, on the other hand, could not achieve the same kind of premium given the competition in Bangkok and the property’s age. It was apparently a goal of theirs for a long time to rebrand it as Anantara’s flagship, and it’s an hotel that I love more and more with each stay. They have maintained the highest standards, at least from my perspective, and I believe Anantara Siam is even more profitable now than it previously was under FS management.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Thanks for the detailed review, @chinmoylad !

Just booked clients for 4 nights at the Tented Camp followed by 6 nights here in the Beachfront Pool Villa (they didn't want the Beach Villa with Pool to avoid privacy issues). However, the service issues are making me nervous. Might have to reconsider to avoid disappointment.
I'm also still annoyed at their naming - how silly is that?
Anyway, yea I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend that beachfront pool villa. It does lack a lot of privacy - and footprint wise, it's split over two levels but not THAT much larger than the other villas to account for that. It would be a fantastic villa if it had its own private beach - there aren't TOO many actual beachfront villas in luxury resorts in Thailand.

Sent you a PM.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:11 am

Very helpful report. We were thinking of staying here, but maybe not now.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Only had the chance to visit Jumeirah Beach, but thought it was a nice property.

Agree on your first comment - we never saw the same housekeeping staff after. I don't wish for anyone to lose their job because I'm extremely fussy, but housekeeping at the Four Seasons is probably not for such staff.

Bottle of complimentary sparkling wine was offered in our room the next day along with some treats.

Most of these issues happened on pretty much the first day/night. After those initial incidents, we had Oscar assigned to us and looking after us - he was quite good and our stay definitely picked up (until the final couple of incidents re: the mini bar - just make it obvious...really simple again, just seems a bit petty - and the bath tub).

There was also another incident I forgot to mention re: the slippers (can't remember if I mentioned it in my initial review). Also on the first night.
Basically, both beach silppers provided in-room were sized the same (which is poor form for a luxury resort), and were far too small for me. I asked for a replacement, once on the phone, and again when staff arrived with slippers that looked nothing like the Four Seasons Samui beach sliippers. I'm not sure how best to describe it, but the slippers they initially brought me were something you'd buy for USD$ 0.5 in a convenience store, and also were clearly not new and had quite clearly been used.
Here's as good a photo as what I can find for what they offered as a replacement:

So I had to show them that the slippers provided in-room do not fit me, and asked if they can bring a bigger size. The staff said they didn't have any other sizes for this. I'm a size 10 US - not particularly uncommon...the ones on offer were a USD 7 or 8 at best.
What happens if a guest is a size 12 or 13? They go barefoot?
Both puzzling and appalling to be brought used slippers, especially, for a prized FS resort. Might be acceptable for a flea motel but not a $1000+ resort. I don't think I would ever go here. My vacation time is too precious to waste on a horror show like this FS.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I think I would have left at that point unless some major apologies and service recovery were coming my way. Should never happen. Atrocious for what that resort charges and how they see themselves as market leaders.
they asked... can we clean the room and she said yes. It's not the fault of the staff.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
they asked... can we clean the room and she said yes. It's not the fault of the staff.
Maybe you should remember the level of hospitality we are talking about. This is not a Hyatt Place. Also consider Face-saving culture in this particular incident.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The staff shouldn't have been there in the first place to catch her in after the shower, etc. This is allegedly one of the top Asian FS properties.
scented and SojournsOf like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:36 pm

This is all unfortunate and comes down to what it does so often when it falls on the back of the staff, training.
If the staff isn't appropriately trained it's truly the management at fault. Sadly, those who work very hard for a living find themselves responsible.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Sure, and they should also charge USD 10/night for the room in that case.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
do any/some treat industry guests 'worse' ?
unfortunate when things have gone downhill
(dubai reportedly depend on agent/status/etc)
This is also what I am wondering. The lack of a welcome drink in particular seemed very odd. Was this stay somehow disadvantaged by management?
In my experience service has been exceptional.

It would seem to me that if an hotel is going to provide a stay to a travel industry professional, that it would also be in their interest to provide their best level of service. After all, the idea is that the TA will recommend the resort to clients. In this case it almost seems like there was more to the story, and that someone at the resort deliberately provided a different level of service than what is normally expected. I hope that is not true.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

This is also what I am wondering. The lack of a welcome drink in particular seemed very odd. Was this stay somehow disadvantaged by management?
In my experience service has been exceptional.

It would seem to me that if an hotel is going to provide a stay to a travel industry professional, that it would also be in their interest to provide their best level of service. After all, the idea is that the TA will recommend the resort to clients. In this case it almost seems like there was more to the story, and that someone at the resort deliberately provided a different level of service than what is normally expected. I hope that is not true.
That would be bizarre as there would be sign off from higher management (including on-site and corporate) on the stay.

To preface re: welcome drink, we had our own car in Koh Samui (not Four Seasons' car) but they did have our expected arrival details etc, and as mentioned there were about 3 other couples from Hong Kong on the same flight as us checking into the resort. They just dropped the ball...
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:42 am

That would be bizarre as there would be sign off from higher management (including on-site and corporate) on the stay.

To preface re: welcome drink, we had our own car in Koh Samui (not Four Seasons' car) but they did have our expected arrival details etc, and as mentioned there were about 3 other couples from Hong Kong on the same flight as us checking into the resort. They just dropped the ball...
Big time, but would have been wonderful opportunity for service recovery. Something seems to be really wrong there.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:47 am

Yes, so that couldn’t possibly be the case. Whatever happened, it sounds like you experienced the total opposite of what I have at this resort. I remember flawless housekeeping service, and the service throughout the resort was what I expected from Four Seasons. I guess they majorly dropped the ball. FS will surely be aware of this thread, if they are not already.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't be the first time a FS messed up an arrival. Happened to us 2x in Seoul and once in Dubai. They also had our expected arrival time and flight details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.