Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels for Vietnam - recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by 5khours
I would rate beach hotels in VN as follows....
1. Amanoi
2. Inter-Continental DaNang
3. Nam Hai

And there is a big gap between each of these. Given the OP's budget I would be looking at Inter-Continental. Beautiful beach and very nice villas.

Best city hotels are Metropole in Hanoi, and PH in HCMC.

Best beach in VN is Bai Sao on PhuQuoc, but the hotels in PhuQuoc are not great. La Veranda is OK but the beach there is not good.
I appreciate your analysis. We've traveled several times in Vietnam and are returning to Amanoi this year. We love it. I notice you don't mention Azerai Can Tho. We are looking forward to a stay there in the Mekong Delta. I know I won't have the grand villa that I had at Nam Hai, but expect it to be a great option in a place I want to explore. Your thoughts?

For anyone considering La Veranda, we stayed there shortly after it opened. I caution anyone to be aware there is a dramatic difference in the rooms. We ended up in a motel type room that was dreadful, just a view of the adjacent building.

I like Ana Mandara Villas in Dalat, Vietnam. We've stayed twice. Spacious homes that were built by the French have been repurposed into hotel rooms with 3 or 4 to a building. There is a lot to see and do in Dalat, and this is a unique place to stay. We combined a stay here with Amanoi, flying into Dalat and driving on to Nha Trang and Amanoi.
FlyerEC and 5khours like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:34 pm

There is a certain elegance about these new Azerai hotels (including La Residence) in Vietnam, which is remarkable. Something I feared was long lost — nothing a London PR agency could think of. Small details really. Perfect combination with Noi, which hasn’t lost its luster at all.

I am surprised about a few negative comments regarding FS Nam Hải. It will never be Noi, though should be solid (not considering design flaws FS did nothing about).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think Sri Lanka is worth considering. We've been going there for about 15 years and the Sri Lankan boutique hotels have a great vibe and maybe arent Amans but they are quite stylish and memorable. The beaches in Sri Lanka are amazing as well. Just google "sri lankan boutique hotel" and you will see what's current. Found some magical places over the years, many of which have cycled out of business and been replaced by others. You can even find things like Yala park where you can see game and have an amazing beach in front of you. Lots of US$200-300 places get you real value. Many in historic buildings that have been converted to small hotels.

As for Vietnam, we spent part of our honeymoon at the PH Saigon in the early 2000s when it opened and have gone back most years since. I love Vietnam for its accessibility and the fact that I can eat almost anything and have never gotten sick there. My cup of tea is to avoid a place like the Amanoi and stay in the center of it all so I can venture out. I understand that HCMC is not for everyone, heck I know people who dont enjoy NYC or Hong Kong, but once you figure out the seeming insanity it is really a fun place. For beaches in Vietnam, I think the Mui Ne beaches are pretty nice, maybe some of the best, no real luxury accommodations there and it's a ..... of a drive from HCMC but it is really hot there in the northern hemisphere winter. Good for kiting/windsurfing in Dec/Jan but maybe too windy if you just want to chill during those months.

We have two trips planned to Vietnam in 2019, so I love the place, but I'd consider Sri Lanka as well.
FlyerEC and orbitmic like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I appreciate your analysis. We've traveled several times in Vietnam and are returning to Amanoi this year. We love it. I notice you don't mention Azerai Can Tho. We are looking forward to a stay there in the Mekong Delta. I know I won't have the grand villa that I had at Nam Hai, but expect it to be a great option in a place I want to explore. Your thoughts?

For anyone considering La Veranda, we stayed there shortly after it opened. I caution anyone to be aware there is a dramatic difference in the rooms. We ended up in a motel type room that was dreadful, just a view of the adjacent building.

I like Ana Mandara Villas in Dalat, Vietnam. We've stayed twice. Spacious homes that were built by the French have been repurposed into hotel rooms with 3 or 4 to a building. There is a lot to see and do in Dalat, and this is a unique place to stay. We combined a stay here with Amanoi, flying into Dalat and driving on to Nha Trang and Amanoi.
Haven't been to Azerai in Can Tho but would like to go. Let us know how you like it.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by stephem
As for Vietnam, we spent part of our honeymoon at the PH Saigon in the early 2000s when it opened and have gone back most years since. I love Vietnam for its accessibility and the fact that I can eat almost anything and have never gotten sick there. My cup of tea is to avoid a place like the Amanoi and stay in the center of it all so I can venture out. I understand that HCMC is not for everyone, heck I know people who dont enjoy NYC or Hong Kong, but once you figure out the seeming insanity it is really a fun place. For beaches in Vietnam, I think the Mui Ne beaches are pretty nice, maybe some of the best, no real luxury accommodations there and it's a ..... of a drive from HCMC but it is really hot there in the northern hemisphere winter. Good for kiting/windsurfing in Dec/Jan but maybe too windy if you just want to chill during those months.
Agree on PH. Stay there a couple of times a month. Also agree on MuiNe (nice beaches but accommodations are pretty spartan.) BTW - you can take a train to Mui Ne (or at least close.)

I think HCMC is fun for the occasional or first time visitor. But I don't really think it grows on you (or at least me.) Both Hanoi and HCMC are hot, dirty, smelly, noisy, crowded stinky cities. I usually get sick every other visit. Having to avoid stepping on dead rats or being stepped on by live rats every time you walk down the street gets to be a little old quickly.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by Rachel2019

to be honest after some more research we might not stay in Phu Quoc and find a hotel in Da Nang. The Amanoi although looks amazing, feels too isolated, and the prices I did see online were £1K a night minimum, where as we would prefer to pay closer to £500-£600 a night. Have looked at the six senses and four seasons!
I have thought about going to Phu Quoc many times, but always had reservations about what I read and so never pulled the trigger. I think we missed the time to go on our first trip when it was still undeveloped and not yet overwhelmed. And when you dig into the negative trip advisor reviews it's hard to know what you might get at any of the properties. From service issues, to trash on beaches, to complaints about sub par food, it's hard to find a place in PQC that doesn't have some potential flaw(s). Hyatt seems to have recently flagged this place Nam Nghi Phu Quoc Island which looks kind of cool, although probably not as luxe as you want for a honeymoon. We may try this in December when in Saigon for Christmas as my wife and kids want some hot beach time but don't want the wind in Mui Ne, but there are several 2018 reviews that have me thinking twice about that...

One other thing about the beaches in VN, my understanding in the Dec/Jan timeframe is that once you get a bit north of Nha Trang you no longer have the true beach weather where it is in the high 80sF/30sC. It's another matter of personal preference, but we haven't looked North of Nha Trang in the northern hemisphere winter as a result.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

my wife and I just got back from an amazing 5 days at Azerai Can Tho. It was the highlight of our trip. We befriended the GM, Serge, while we were there. Please feel free to PM me if you would like additional info.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Musken
It is of course personal, but I find that spending more time in another place instead of doing two large cities will give you more of an interesting holiday. The two cities are different, but not as different as a big city is from a smaller town/beach area. I found Hanoi to be interesting as such and quite charming with a number of things to see plus great food/street food, while HCMC was less interesting in itself (but you can use that city as a base to go to the Cu Chi tunnels and the Mekong delta). Of course up to you, and if you have enough time for everything, please feel free.
It is true that any two cities will be less different from each other than either would be from a remote beach, but as it happens, the OP already has planned beach locations in her trip any way, and I'd argue that Hanoi and HMC are actually more different from each other than any two beach locations in Vietnam (and there is already a lot of diversity between them). In my view, Hanoi and HMC are very, very different - more different from each other than, say, NYC from LA and I doubt many people would not recommend doing both.

So of course, if the OP does not really want to visit cities, there isn't much point in doing both (or for that matter, in that case, even either) of them, but if city visits are indeed something she'd look forward to, personally, I'd certainly consider doing both as neither would give a good sense of what the other is. I share your view that Hanoi is the more charming. I do find HMC extremely interesting actually but it is a much larger and more chaotic city with pleasant and exciting areas being a lot more spread out too. Still, it has a lot to offer if you give it a bit of time and effort to explore. The food is very different in the two cities as well.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Has to be Four Seasons the Nam Hai in Hoi An - nothing else comes close.

Hanoi has nothing great - best option is Sofitel Legend Metropole.
Currently looking in Hoi An. I too noticed it was the Four Seasons at $AUD900 with nothing else coming close. I just lied to my husband about the price.

I have stayed at the Metropole before and really like that so will stay there again.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Currently looking in Hoi An. I too noticed it was the Four Seasons at $AUD900 with nothing else coming close.
It's a shame that the Rosewood opening, originally scheduled to open this year, has been pushed to 2020.

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/hoi-an
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rachel2019

to be honest after some more research we might not stay in Phu Quoc and find a hotel in Da Nang. The Amanoi although looks amazing, feels too isolated, and the prices I did see online were £1K a night minimum, where as we would prefer to pay closer to £500-£600 a night. Have looked at the six senses and four seasons!
Amanoi was booked out for all of my attempts to check room rates.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by francophile
It's a shame that the Rosewood opening, originally scheduled to open this year, has been pushed to 2020.

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/hoi-an
shame. Such a big gap in quality
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattEvan
People seem to be low on the Metropole but I think it's one of the best non-resort properties in Asia. Club level is a must, and the suites in the modern wing are fantastic. Hermes toiletries are better than over-hyped Aesop. The hotel also makes the best french pastry in SE Asia in my humble view, so try the croissants.

We found FS Nam Hai to be pretty awful, and wished we had just done more nights at Amanoi. Amanoi is superb as many have commented, and close to best in Aman chain.
I found the Hermes toiletries just regular toiletries . Yes they look fab with that brand name.

Why is club level a must at Metrople. We were out most of the time or at the pool bar.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:33 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I found the Hermes toiletries just regular toiletries . Yes they look fab with that brand name.

Why is club level a must at Metrople. We were out most of the time or at the pool bar.

I do not know if the rooms are different, but it is not a must to have club access unless you want to take advantage of it. We did not use the club a lot. For breakfast we preferred to sit outside by the pool instead of in the club. It was possible as well to have tea with food and also drinks with food (both included) but since we had lunches and dinners booked all days, we were not hungry for more at the given times except one or two times. Finally we found the club area to be pretty uninspiring and dark. However, service there was good and food/drinks a well so worth it if you plan to use the facilities.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:07 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Amanoi was booked out for all of my attempts to check room rates.
Online or direct/via agent? Online might show no availability but direct/via agent might have availbility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.