Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

When New Luxury Resorts Open -- Issues, Advantages?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:02 am
Original Member
Original Poster

It seems to be common wisdom on this forum to never book a new resort soon after opening. Yet, rates often are low for value at and near opening.

Case in Point: Rosewood Montecito/Santa Barbara will open sometime in February/March. The rate for March bookings are very fetching indeed. Assuming it does in fact open by then. Of course there will be assorted glitches. Could the low opening rates soothe the sting of same?

More pros and cons? Not only as pertains to the new Rosewood but to the topic in general: is it worthwhile to book soon after opening?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
It seems to be common wisdom on this forum to never book a new resort soon after opening. Yet, rates often are low for value at and near opening.

Case in Point: Rosewood Montecito/Santa Barbara will open sometime in February/March. The rate for March bookings are very fetching indeed. Assuming it does in fact open by then. Of course there will be assorted glitches. Could the low opening rates soothe the sting of same?

More pros and cons? Not only as pertains to the new Rosewood but to the topic in general: is it worthwhile to book soon after opening?
If you can live with inevitable service failures and possible hardware issues then it can be worthwhile. I'm sure Santa Barbara won't have the dusty, new smell odor like Asian city hotels? That bothers me a lot and made the FS Seoul opening pretty unbearable.

I found at some openings that management were quite eager to please and get feedback.
KatW likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:22 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
I found at some openings that management were quite eager to please and get feedback.
That's my question: does management value bookings at the new venue sufficiently to make it worth the while?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW

That's my question: does management value bookings at the new venue sufficiently to make it worth the while?
They would be stupid not to value their first guests and get their opinion on things. All properties have things that need improving on in the beginning. Any GM who thinks otherwise probably isn't going to be a very good GM.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:44 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:50 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Pros
- Rates
- Being able to post a review on FlyerTalk

Cons
- Service might not be optimal
- Not all facilities will be open
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I find it extremely interesting to be one of a hotel's first guests. It's fun to see what employees are experiencing as well as all of the chain VIPs and owner/manager employees sent in to help for the opening. You might also get a special gift or perhaps an invitation to an opening reception.
offerendum and lb8001 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I find it extremely interesting to be one of a hotel's first guests. It's fun to see what employees are experiencing as well as all of the chain VIPs and owner/manager employees sent in to help for the opening. You might also get a special gift or perhaps an invitation to an opening reception.
Some chains give points prizes and have raffles too.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
From the Lanesborough to the Four Seasons Park Lane

We were die hard Lanesborough devotees but I had always wanted to try the Four Seasons Park Lane. When the FS Park Lane first opened they had exceptional opening offers so I booked us for a 9 night stay. There was a slight construction smell, and the fire alarm did go off in the middle of the night causing everyone to evacuate, but the service was so good and the recovery sincere and generous that they have earned our loyalty for the many years since their reopening.

I know that Four Seasons has this early opening dedication. I do not know if Rosewood has the same committment and it would be worth speaking with someone who has recently stayed at one of their newly opened properties. I think it would also be worth it to speak with the front desk manager a week or two before your arrival to let them know what yours expectations are. Do you need the whirlpool, sauna and steam room up and running? All the restraunts open with a full menu? Kids club full hours operational? They can tell you then the situation because they hear first hand the compliments and the service opportunities.
francophile and offerendum like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I stayed at new Hotels (one was FSPL) and didn´t regret it. The room will be new, so no tear and wear. Otherwise it can have a "new smell". Some like it (if not paint etc.), some hate it. It may be some facilities aren´t ready like a SPA. Only an issue if you wonna use it. Service may be an issue, otherwise at some hotels service was reported to be much better in the beginning....
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm ambivalent. I've stayed near the opening at least three times. Generally, these experiences have been poor. The only exception was FS Den, which was pretty good. I was literally the first person the front desk clerk checked-in. I'm a seasoned FS customer, and I think her screen lit up red when my name appeared. I had to spend a few minutes calming her down as she panicked. I still don't know what the FS computer says about me. FS had all the heavies in from other locales to help. The head of F&B from Boston was bussing tables. Actually, FS Den has gone downhill since it opened.

Alpina Gstaad was terrible at the opening. They were simply not ready. I had to move rooms at least twice. Nothing worked -- sockets, TVs, remotes, fireplaces, ad nauseam. The bartender could only make a single drink from the printed menu, which had 50+ specialty drinks listed. Customers were ordering brand name vodkas ... which the bartender had never heard of. Service was on island time. They weren't serving food at or in the bar, resulting in an unpleasant, and loud 'discussion' with the F&B manager. I, uhhh, convinced him to change the policy. Gillette-the-razor-company would call me a 'bully'. I've been lead to believe that everything has improved. I won't be back -- I prefer Zermatt over Gstaad.

Aman Tokyo. Not going to rant as there are several threads that go into the issues. My stay, which was during the first three months, left *much* to be desired.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jan 16, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rosewood Montecito booking from feb 11
beach rooms booking from mar 15
some 'locals' here may visit fairly quickly

(re lanesborough, was rosewood 1991-2001)

Originally Posted by offerendum
some hotels service was reported to be much better in the beginning
indeed. if possible, can visit then book, or book 1 night then extend

unfortunately can never know how quality and rates will change
there are examples of different experiences during same dates

good thread, a topic with polar opposite experiences and opinions

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done 2 openings in Korea, 1 recently opened RC Mandapa and 1 pre opening in UAE.

My FS Seoul experience is up on here. Interestingly, some problems persist to this day!

RC Mandapa. Hardware was fine. Service could hve been better. Senior Management was and still is the problem.

PH Busan was a mess for service. A lot of staffers were first timers and the service overall was poor. English was a bit of a problem too. Outlets made bad food and served it poorly. It took 2 years and 1 miracle worker executive chef for everything to become up to par. The hardware worked just fine (that was a plus).

GH Abu Dhabi was generally a breeze for a pre opening. Only a few small service failures including wrong toiletries brought to room and a stubborn Pearl lounge cook that refused to cook our order or cook it quickly. We never found out which one was it.

A lot of things were not open in July including 2 restaurants, spa, Grand Club and 2 pools. Having our pick of food and drink at Pearl Lounge more than made up for GH absence (when they placed our orders).

Residence was immaculate and no new room paint smell or fumes.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
unfortunately can never know how quality and rates will change
there are examples of different experiences during same dates
You only must get a different agent at check-in for excample or (much more important) another butler to experience completely different Service.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
You only must get a different agent at check-in for excample or (much more important) another butler to experience completely different Service.
One "No" can change everything.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"no" can be acceptable depending on context

but how often do 'normal' luxury hotels try to deliver request that is actually atypical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.