Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2019 edition

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2019 edition

Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:16 pm

The photos of Camp Sarika look rather ugly and non-Aman. Really pedestrian furniture and a lack of architectural rigor. Nothing about the images or marketing to date makes me want to go see these. The original building at Amangiri is great (stayed there a few times) but everything since is pretty bad. The ugly and cheap sheetrock box "Mesa Home" is a disaster. Unfortunately I think Aman has lost its way here.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Just did a random search for October 2020 - $3,700++ per night. Yikes!
LinLant likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
That's my type of camping. LoL.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
It makes Clayoquot look like a bargain, and that is saying something.
LinLant likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:57 pm

That’s the new general pricing for the resort - all inclusive now. It’s a massive leap from the previous basic room charge of $1,650. Two thousand dollars a day is a lot of food and activities. The food there has never been very good and the hikes, etc. were criminally expensive. There are also problems getting good staff who can be unobtrusive.

no clue what the ugly tents will cost but the resort is not worth the prices charged today. I don’t plan to stay there again.
BESVISOR, LinLant and MicSanToro like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TargetTravels
That’s the new general pricing for the resort - all inclusive now. It’s a massive leap from the previous basic room charge of $1,650. Two thousand dollars a day is a lot of food and activities. The food there has never been very good and the hikes, etc. were criminally expensive. There are also problems getting good staff who can be unobtrusive.

no clue what the ugly tents will cost but the resort is not worth the prices charged today. I don’t plan to stay there again.
Those prices are for the tents, not the hotel.

When we stayed (albeit in low season) in 2016, it was ~$1,800 with full board. No activities other than a complementary group hike. Are you saying it’s fully all-inclusive with activities now?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Those prices are for the tents, not the hotel.

When we stayed (albeit in low season) in 2016, it was ~$1,800 with full board. No activities other than a complementary group hike. Are you saying it’s fully all-inclusive with activities now?
All rooms at the hotel now start at $3500 per night.

it is laughably bad value in my opinion. It is appropriately 50% higher than either Amanpulo or Amankora which set the high water mark for service within the brand. Bananas. And good luck with that. I can only conclude that they think their LA and SF customers are highly price insensitive.
deer and MicSanToro like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I guess Giri has moved into the glamping stage of things.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:57 am

Behold, the Mesa Pool Suite! A 1500 sq ft room with a 5m x 4m plunge pool with concrete walls on three sides located in the beautiful state of Utah! It can be yours for $5,800/night (tax incl.)!!!

What? Did I hear something?

Laucala Island, you say? A 2000 sq ft villa with a proper private swimming pool with a private beach on a private island in Fiji sounds pretty great. How much?? The same price as the Mesa Pool Suite?? ~$5,800/night all in?? Wow!

My joking aside, what in the world is Aman thinking with that kind of pricing? That is entering scam territory, but I'll hedge my bets that it won't come down because the California crowd is willing to pay to stay at the "exotic" desert resort with *that* famous pool by *that* rock where Miley Cyrus and Gordon Ramsay stayed!! I love Aman as much as the next guy, but with what you can get around the world for those prices, I can't see myself choosing Amangiri as a destination for a long time. Utah is great and all, but Fiji is much better.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Behold, the Mesa Pool Suite! A 1500 sq ft room with a 5m x 4m plunge pool with concrete walls on three sides located in the beautiful state of Utah! It can be yours for $5,800/night (tax incl.)!!!

What? Did I hear something?

Laucala Island, you say? A 2000 sq ft villa with a proper private swimming pool with a private beach on a private island in Fiji sounds pretty great. How much?? The same price as the Mesa Pool Suite?? ~$5,800/night all in?? Wow!

My joking aside, what in the world is Aman thinking with that kind of pricing? That is entering scam territory, but I'll hedge my bets that it won't come down because the California crowd is willing to pay to stay at the "exotic" desert resort with *that* famous pool by *that* rock where Miley Cyrus and Gordon Ramsay stayed!! I love Aman as much as the next guy, but with what you can get around the world for those prices, I can't see myself choosing Amangiri as a destination for a long time. Utah is great and all, but Fiji is much better.
I often have similar feelings but in the end if the market pays this prices I understand they take them.
Btw one of the walls at Mesa Pool Suite is not that solid (at least not when I stayed in 2013), I was able to look through it (no details visible) at night and to hear every word. Since this time Prices exploded, I remember I could choose between my Standard Suite which was in June 1200 or so (breakfast only included via Virtuoso) and the Amangiri Suite for 3000. The 3500++ they now charge for the cheapest room are out of reality and I would not pay it.
SanDiego1K, deer, FlyerEC and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:39 pm

Let’s just say I am glad to have visited Giri before prices rose to obscene levels.

I know some are price-insensitive, even to rates like these, and I hope they enjoy the stunning architecture. There are myriad other ways to enjoy the splendors of Utah, even in that area, where one night would pay for ... well, weeks. Granted those places are not for this board
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:08 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I just checked pricing for dates I was looking at in early May. Crazy. $4,299++ per night for the Desert View Suite (tents look unappealing for me).

Last edited by SojournsOf; Nov 12, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:39 am

I'm looking at pricing right now and it is highly variable. In January Desert View Suites start at $1,550 per night including 3 meals a day. Mesa View Suite $1,700. Then they eventually hit $10,000 for the Mesa House.

I think there have been some issues over the past few months with availability showing up at various Amans. Where nothing is available except for some really high priced suite. Clearly an error.

Then at other times of the year seeing Sarika starting around $2,700.

Still bad, but not as bad as some of the posters above alluded. But I actually get the pricing. The US is full of rubbish hotels, and easy to pay close to $1,000 a night for a sub-500 sq ft room at many "famous" resorts. So Gir's pricing in the context of the US is reasonable. But agree with everyone else that the bang for the buck is terrible in comparison to Asia or a number of other regions.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by nmuva98
I'm looking at pricing right now and it is highly variable. In January Desert View Suites start at $1,550 per night including 3 meals a day. Mesa View Suite $1,700. Then they eventually hit $10,000 for the Mesa House.

I think there have been some issues over the past few months with availability showing up at various Amans. Where nothing is available except for some really high priced suite. Clearly an error.

Then at other times of the year seeing Sarika starting around $2,700.

Still bad, but not as bad as some of the posters above alluded. But I actually get the pricing. The US is full of rubbish hotels, and easy to pay close to $1,000 a night for a sub-500 sq ft room at many "famous" resorts. So Gir's pricing in the context of the US is reasonable. But agree with everyone else that the bang for the buck is terrible in comparison to Asia or a number of other regions.
Only because some "rubbish hotels" cost much too much it doesn't mean prices at Giri are reasonable. By the way I stayed at many hotels at the US which were under 1000 € and very nice while meeting the standards of Luxury Forum.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Any news about Aman New York opening date?
2020 means Spring or later in the year?

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Nov 24, 2019 at 2:49 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.