Search

India 2019 Trip with large group

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum Premier Elite, Star Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by passionforhotels
Another logistical problem: how mobile and energetic are your wife's parents? It sounds like a fabulous trip, but are you sure they're up for daily full-day site-seeing as well as changing hotels and cities every couple of days?

Also, they may want some spare time to just be. You don't mention if they're regular visitors to India, but if not, they may just want to find a place they used to go to when they were young and sit and take in the sights, sounds and smells and reminisce a little. May not be at all relevant but thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for your concern. They both go back every year for 3.5 months and spend all their time with family in Punjab, where they grew up. Visiting the Golden Triangle is something they haven't done in decades (but they have been waiting for 10 years to take the kids to see the Taj Mahal and Amer Fort), and my father in law is the only one who has been to Mumbai (albeit only a few times ages ago).

They are fairly active and go on walks every morning, swim, and golf. My father-in-law has some ankle problems and had surgery 2 years ago, but all he needs is a bench to sit down on after walking for a while. I'm sure he'd love to stay back at the hotel and relax while we explore with the kids.

Do any of the hotels in my plan have interesting things to do for someone like him? Would he be able to easily stay occupied for 6 hours at Amanbagh/The Lodhi/Taj Mahal Palace/Fairmont Jaipur should he want to stay back and relax rather than join us on an excursion? Anything interesting the hotels offer?
passionforhotels likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:29 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moetjabi

I really looked into Aman-i-Khas but because it is only 2 people per tent, we would need 3 tents. It would end up being $3600+ per night which isn't good considering we might only be able to fit in 1 or maybe 2 nights (instead of Amanbagh). I will definitely keep i-Khas in the back of my head and maybe it's a possibility if I really enjoy India and decide to return in the future. We're missing Kolkata, Goa, Chennai, Hyderabad, Udaipur, Jodhpur, and Bengaluru this time so there would be lots to do on a return trip.
If you would want to stay at Aman-i-Khas, I would contact them directly asking about only 2 people per tent. We were there two or three years ago, and it was no problem that our son slept in the tent with us. He was a few years younger than your kids back then, but the daybed where he slept is huge (actually an oversized double bed) and comfortable, so no problem.
moetjabi likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:30 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by moetjabi
I thought the Audi Q7 was a 5 seater! Just googled it and saw there are 7 seaters too. Thanks! I'll look into it.
Is that just the seat at the back that's extendable? It's okay for short drives but not for long few hours, and especially if you're completely filling it up at max capacity.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:55 am

With six people plus driver, including two kids and presumably a fair amount of baggage, I might go for two cars or perhaps a mini-bus with ten or more seats. The V-Class Mercedes is excellent - we were driven around the SW Cape in one. But if you have two cars people can swap fellow passengers for various legs of the journey.

I remember my first-ever road experience in India, coming in from Jaipur airport to the Rambagh Palace Hotel. It was a dead straight, tree-lined road and in the distance, maybe half a mile away, there was something weird in the middle of the road. The mysterious object was dark and it seemed to be moving. We got closer and closer to it and it made no sense. It just seemed to be a quivering mass. Then all became clear. It was a dead camel being feasted on by this writhing mass of vultures. It made you shudder . . . and everyone was just driving round it.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
V-Class Mercedes is excellent - we were driven around the SW Cape in one.
V XL can have 4th row with no 3rd row, massive space, presume seats swap easily. cant recall which i was looking at, may be possible to have 2nd row and 4th row facing each other. should be available in india, but i saw one india limo company list benz gls.

vs custom / aftermarket benz sprinter vans ('jetvans') likely hard to source

clearly bentley third row will not be ideal, at several thousand USD per day

unlike 4 passengers - many options up to most comfortable rolls or 'jetvan'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 4, 2019 at 10:48 am
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
. . . and everyone was just driving round it.
Not nice, but what else should they do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.