Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
I hope you get better weather than we did in May.
Yea that's always the uncontrollable gamble...what's the weather usually like in May for that area?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by specboi
Yea that's always the uncontrollable gamble...what's the weather usually like in May for that area?
Their microclimate makes it a bit harder to judge than normal. We just got lashed by days of non-stop rain after a Sunny day upon arrival.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:19 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Typically one of the better months (around ~April to September) - the area has its own climate which is separate from Nha Trang (which is a couple of hours drive north). Where Amanoi is tends to be generally quite arid, though you can get the occassional heavy rains. Sometimes the issue isn't the rain, but the heavy winds that blow across making it very difficult to be outside.

But then again, we just had a huge storm rip through Samui in January when its typically supposed to be pristine so what the hell...

On that note, would you consider extending an extra night? Amanoi usually does 5th night free offers with some inclusions too.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Amanoi usually does 5th night free offers with some inclusions too.
Amanoi is currently doing 4th night free, at least for dates I booked.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Typically one of the better months (around ~April to September) - the area has its own climate which is separate from Nha Trang (which is a couple of hours drive north). Where Amanoi is tends to be generally quite arid, though you can get the occassional heavy rains. Sometimes the issue isn't the rain, but the heavy winds that blow across making it very difficult to be outside.

But then again, we just had a huge storm rip through Samui in January when its typically supposed to be pristine so what the hell...

On that note, would you consider extending an extra night? Amanoi usually does 5th night free offers with some inclusions too.
Thanks for this info, and yea I was able to get the 4th night free with my dates as well.
I booked the Ocean Pool Pavilion, will hope for an upgrade to the Amanoi Ocean Pool Villa. But if that doesn't happen I'm sure I'll be happy with the regular ocean pool pavilion.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:26 pm

Thanks for this info, and yea I was able to get the 4th night free with my dates as well.
I booked the Ocean Pool Pavilion, will hope for an upgrade to the Amanoi Ocean Pool Villa. But if that doesn't happen I'm sure I'll be happy with the regular ocean pool pavilion.
Hopefully the weather will turn out fine for you! I just booked a week in late April (thanks chinmoylad!), so also hoping for good weather.

But I'm also a hiker, so even if it rains can still hit do that...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmuva98

But I'm also a hiker, so even if it rains can still hit do that...
I don't know about that. That freak rain system we had VERY powerful winds.
RJ77 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Amanzoe

Amanzoe

Map| 7 Reviews | 86% Recommended

Amanzoe

Kranidi Argolida, Greece GR 21300

Amanzoe (52 Photos)

Amanzoe

As Amanzoe is already very well known on this forum and has been reviewed a few times, I'll keep this fairly brief! Our stay was back in September and it was a surprise trip from myself to my husband for his 40th birthday. We combined the stay here is a stay at Hotel Grande Bretagne in Athens. 

Check In

I'd recommend a few nights in Athens before heading to Amanzoe as it's about a two and a half hour drive to to the property. We were picked up from our Athens hotel and transferred to in the Amanzoe car. I believe a helicopter is an option too. We were greeted by the GM and a few other members of staff with no formal check in (as I remember but correct me if I'm wrong). I had been in contact with the conicerge quite alot before the stay and arranged several surprises for my husband's birthday. The team had been briefed not to mention any of these and nothing was given away to him. 

The architecture at Amanzoe is based on classical Greek style and it is absolutely breathtaking. As soon as you arrive, you'll be blown away by the magnificent columns, decorative pool and the view across the hills. Amanzoe 2 (29 of 41).jpgAmanzoe 3 (11 of 61).jpgAmanzoe 3 (54 of 61).jpg

Amanzoe 3 (24 of 61).jpgAmanzoe 3 (34 of 61).jpg

Other public rooms such as the library are also beautiful. 

Amanzoe 2 (8 of 41).jpg

Room

Each Pavilion at Amanzoe is a self contained villa with private pool. We had one of the regular pavilions with 210 square metres of space both indoor and outdoor. The design of the room is gorgeous and I personally think for the size of the room, it's good value for money. 

I'll let the pictures do the talking as it really was simply exquisite. 

Amanzoe 2 (19 of 41).jpgAmanzoe 2 (34 of 49).jpgAmanzoe 2 (41 of 49).jpgAmanzoe 2 (44 of 49).jpg

Amanzoe 2 (39 of 49).jpg

Amanzoe 2 (40 of 49).jpg

Service

The service was close to perfect. I was very impressed with how the hotel organised all the surprises for my husband and not one member of staff gave the game away! 

This is only my third Aman and I've heard a lot about the service on here so I was surprised about few very minor niggles. For example we ordered the same wine for lunch every day and I was surprised it wasn't automatically suggested to us. I also had to keep asking for our favourite wine to be put in our fridge. Same goes for coffee at breakfast. Tiny things but I guess I expected the staff to be able to read my mind ;) 

The concierge also organised a birthday photo shoot for us, which my husband wasn't sure about at first but turned out to be a real highlight of our stay. Excuse the cheesy pictures! 

Amanzoe-3-190-of-320.jpg

Amanzoe-3-158-of-320-1.jpg

Dining

In someways I felt that the food offering was where the property fell a little short. There are three restaurants at the property so I'll go through them one by one. 

The main restaurant is found in the hotels main forum and it is the location for breakfast. I'd avoid eating outside though owing to the bees! 

Amanzoe 2 (1 of 41).jpg

Breakfast was lovely with some typical Greek dishes but the menu was the same everyday. This restaurant isn't open for lunch but serves Mediterranean food in the evening. We had two really enjoyable dinners here. 

The second restaurant is by the pool which is up some stairs adjacent to the main forum. 

Amanzoe 3 (17 of 49).jpgAmanzoe 3 (20 of 49).jpg

Amanzoe 3 (29 of 61).jpg

We had lunch here twice, it's also Mediterranean and serves fairly simple salads, sandwiches, fish and meat dishes. We enjoyed the quality but found there to be a lack of choice. 

In the evening the pool restaurant becomes Nama, Aman's Japanese restaurant brand. We also ate here for dinner twice. As with the Nama at Aman Le Melezin, I was a little disappointed with the food as it just doesn't live up to the quality of some the London Japanese restaurants. The rice on the sushi is too thick for example. It's still enjoyable but could be better. 

The third restaurant is on the beach and it based on a typical Greek taverna. This was our favourite restaurant and we loved the seafood dishes, the fresh pastas and the meat. 

Amanzoe 3 (6 of 36).jpg

However twice we had to send food back because it was so salty it was inedible. Still this was our favourite restaurant and we had lunch here three times. 

As I mentioned earlier I also organised surprises for my husband. One was a private in room barbecue for dinner with a private chef. This was beautifully executed with exquisite food.

I also organised a special dinner in the hotel's private amphitheatre. 

Amanzoe-3-204-of-320.jpg

Some maybe unsure of the two and a half drive from Athens but it really wasn't a problem. The hotel is in a gorgeous location with beautiful views. It's easy to take day trips to Hydra and Spetses. 

Pool

There are two pools at the hotel one in the main part of the hotel and one on the beach. We found the main pool to be pretty much always empty. We only ever saw one other guest there. 

Amanzoe 3 (11 of 49).jpg

The pool on the beach (around a ten minute drive away). This one was a little busier. 

Amanzoe 3 (42 of 61).jpg

Beach

The location of the beach club is one criticism I've heard of Amanzoe as it's around a ten minute car journey to the beach. However, I personally didn't think this was a problem as there was always a car waiting to take us there and pick us up. It also means you get the best of both worlds as the main hotel has the views from the hill. 

Amanzoe 3 (36 of 61).jpg

There are large cabanas on the beach which guests can hire. I'm not sure how this works though as they're also rooms in themselves. 

Amenities

My husband loves boats so as one of his surprises I charter Aquazoe, the hotel's yacht for the day. The team at the hotel organised snacks for the boat and we had a day of swimming, lunch on the gorgeous island of Hydra and a visit to Spetses. I'd highly recommend doing this and I thought the day trip was good value. 

Amanzoe 3 (4 of 58).jpgAmanzoe 3 (52 of 58).jpg

Amanzoe 3 (47 of 58).jpg

Overall

Very very minor niggles aside. We loved our stay at Amanzoe and it was perfect for my husband's 40th. 

Amanzoe

Would you like to write a review on the Amanzoe?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:51 am

Amazing, thank you for this!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:02 am

Wonderful review with great pictures! Happy Belated Birthday to your husband!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome review @SilverSpoon. Definitely one of the best looking Amans out there.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by LinLant
Wonderful review with great pictures! Happy Belated Birthday to your husband!

Thank you!!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the review and photos @SilverSpoon. Glad you both had such a wonderful stay!

If I can ask, what was the charge for the day trip on the Aquazoe yacht? How long was that excursion? How long did you stay on the islands? How was the lunch?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks for the review and photos @SilverSpoon. Glad you both had such a wonderful stay!

If I can ask, what was the charge for the day trip on the Aquazoe yacht? How long was that excursion? How long did you stay on the islands? How was the lunch?
It was 3200EURO for an eight hour charter. A bit extra for nibbles and champagne on the boat. You can have a proper picnic lunch on the boat but we like having a bit of a break from the waves and a look around.

We met the boat at about 11am for Porto Heli port (around a ten minute drive) and had around an hour of sailing time and then stopped for my husband to swim.

We had about an hour and half on Hydra with a brief walk around and an hour for lunch. We ate at Omilos for lunch as recommended and booked by Amanzoe. It was lovely seaside restaurant and fairly simple but with great food. I'm sure you could stay longer but it probably isn't necessary - my husband just loves being on the boat so we made that more a priority. We didn't get to Spetses until late and only had an about 20 minutes for a quick look. I might be wrong but there doesn't seem to be much there, we couldn't even find an ice cream place. Still it was lovely to have a wonder around.

If you're interested in just popping to Hydra for lunch, I believe a water taxi can be booked rather than the all day excursion.

If you want a really detailed description with more pictures of the boat, the islands and the lunch, I've written about it on my blog:
A Beautiful Boat Trip: Island Hopping on Aquazoe - SilverSpoon London

We watch sunset from the boat and we back to the port at 7.30ish.
specboi and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Oh yeah, I think I know what I book
P.S. My GF had to promise me one thing a few months ago: No more photoshootings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.