Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:49 am

Has anyone met Pantelis K? Just realized he is now GM at Wella. Going through possible 2019 sojourns and unsure if Galla and Wella are quite ready. Sean seems focused on Galla but I fear Wella needs some love as well.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by offerendum
Oh yeah, I think I know what I book
P.S. My GF had to promise me one thing a few months ago: No more photoshootings
Ha! You should have seen the look of horror when I revealed the birthday surprise! But it was actually him that ended up extending our time with the the photographer!!
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by scented
Has anyone met Pantelis K? Just realized he is now GM at Wella. Going through possible 2019 sojourns and unsure if Galla and Wella are quite ready. Sean seems focused on Galla but I fear Wella needs some love as well.
Yeah, just came back from Sri Lanka. Sean is the country manager, mainly to be seen at Galla, Pantelis is the manager at Wella.
We combined Galla, Cape Weligama, Tea Trails and Wella, and it was a fantastic trip (of course with some service hiccups, but no bigger issues).
As long as you are aware that Galle is not Tokyo, that Amanwella is not Amanoi, and that Sri Lanka is touristically not so advanced like f.e. Bali.- but it is a fresh and much less packed country with a great vibe and fantastic, unobstructed nature!

So: whilst Weligama was, beside the great villa size and the spectacular pool, a bit under expectation - therefore Tea Trails and the Amans were brillant, all three in different ways!

PS: Take Cinnamon-Air Waterplanes for most connections, only Colombo-Galle/-Weligama could be easily and very conveniently done by car. By taking car into the mountains, you lose way too much holiday time...

PS2: In Colombo, Shangri La was new & good, especially if you book club floor.
FlyerEC and scented like this.

Last edited by deer; Jan 13, 2019 at 5:39 am
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Ha! You should have seen the look of horror when I revealed the birthday surprise! But it was actually him that ended up extending our time with the the photographer!!
BTW: May I ask how much you paid for it? Would be an idea when I am there with my photo-addicted better half - even if it is only pleasure for one.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by offerendum

BTW: May I ask how much you paid for it? Would be an idea when I am there with my photo-addicted better half - even if it is only pleasure for one.
We were quoted 2 -2 ˝ hours at 850.00€ plus 24% tax. By the time we extended the time it was just over 1000€ as I remember
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by deer
Yeah, just came back from Sri Lanka. Sean is the country manager, mainly to be seen at Galla, Pantelis is the manager at Wella.
We combined Galla, Cape Weligama, Tea Trails and Wella, and it was a fantastic trip (of course with some service hiccups, but no bigger issues).
As long as you are aware that Galle is not Tokyo, that Amanwella is not Amanoi, and that Sri Lanka is touristically not so advanced like f.e. Bali.- but it is a fresh and much less packed country with a great vibe and fantastic, unobstructed nature!

So: whilst Weligama was, beside the great villa size and the spectacular pool, a bit under expectation - therefore Tea Trails and the Amans were brillant, all three in different ways!

PS: Take Cinnamon-Air Waterplanes for most connections, only Colombo-Galle/-Weligama could be easily and very conveniently done by car. By taking car into the mountains, you lose way too much holiday time...

PS2: In Colombo, Shangri La was new & good, especially if you book club floor.

Dear Deer ,
What has changed at Galla and Wella since the “change “ ?
any physical improvements at Galla in particular, every thing was a little tired when I was last there .
the nice but overrated manager SF , is a resourceful manager but any huge improvements ?
The suites at Wella ought to be knocked down .
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by bearbrick

Dear Deer ,
What has changed at Galla and Wella since the “change “ ?
any physical improvements at Galla in particular, every thing was a little tired when I was last there .
the nice but overrated manager SF , is a resourceful manager but any huge improvements ?
No hardware improvements in the last years, but very nice laid back vibe at both resorts. And very special atmosphere at Tea Trails.
Galle is not Tokyo or London, and Amanwella is not a new rich superposh super-hardware place, but the Geoffrey-Bawa-Inspired design is still cool and nice. Nothing for posers, just a relaxed place with a great fun beach!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:33 pm

Amanwella is not a new rich superposh super-hardware place, but the Geoffrey-Bawa-Inspired design is still cool and nice. Nothing for posers, just a relaxed place with a great fun beach!
Thank god... great to hear what's going on!

Originally Posted by bearbrick

Sean is nice indeed, but what is your 'overrated' assessment based on?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
We were quoted 2 -2 ˝ hours at 850.00€ plus 24% tax. By the time we extended the time it was just over 1000€ as I remember
OK, thanks! Easy decision for me
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
No hardware improvements in the last years, but very nice laid back vibe at both resorts. And very special atmosphere at Tea Trails.
Galle is not Tokyo or London, and Amanwella is not a new rich superposh super-hardware place, but the Geoffrey-Bawa-Inspired design is still cool and nice. Nothing for posers, just a relaxed place with a great fun beach!
Originally Posted by scented
Thank god... great to hear what's going on!

Sean is nice indeed, but what is your 'overrated' assessment based on?
Good to know as we will be there next month .

Looking forward to catching up with Sean F & his wife , L .
He may not be outwardly ‘ gungho ‘ like some of the seasoned AMAN GMs , definitely not perfect 10 , but does get more done behind the scene .

.. wonder too about the “ overrated assessment “
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:04 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Vlad on his worldwide portfolio...
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...tels-interview
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
Vlad on his worldwide portfolio...
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...tels-interview
Sounds like he wants Amans in his favorite party cities.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Regarding Vlad:
Originally Posted by Aventine
Sounds like he wants Amans in his favorite party cities.
Yeah -- He more or less says exactly that in the quote in the final paragraph. The wish list is all big cities. Have we reached a consensus here as to whether (big city) Aman Tokyo is an 'Aman' and successful? I'm still skeptical and leaning towards 'no'. And ASP is a disaster -- that is the only other big city Aman in the present inventory. I wish Vlad good luck in HK. His chances of being successful with the Aman concept in that city are zero.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Regarding Vlad:

Yeah -- He more or less says exactly that in the quote in the final paragraph. The wish list is all big cities. Have we reached a consensus here as to whether (big city) Aman Tokyo is an 'Aman' and successful? I'm still skeptical and leaning towards 'no'. And ASP is a disaster -- that is the only other big city Aman in the present inventory. I wish Vlad good luck in HK. His chances of being successful with the Aman concept in that city are zero.
Don't disagree with anything you're saying, but why do you think its a zero chance of success in HK?
bearbrick likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:29 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Regarding Vlad:

Personally, I think a more intimate and more public space version (spa, pool, lobby, etc) of Upper House could potentially be fantastic!
deer and FlyerEC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.