Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2019

Amanresorts Thread 2019

Reply

Old Jul 6, 19, 11:06 pm
  #196  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by cheme24 View Post
Just finished a 4 night stay at Kila, and I can confirm that renovation is ongoing. In fact, the renovation was ongoing in the suite next to ours from 8am to 10pm every day. It was certainly not "peace on the hill" during our stay. As far as we could tell the construction is for adding pools to some of the suites. Not sure about any other scheduled renovation.
Wow, it doesn’t get more un-Aman than that. Did you raise this with the team and ask to move rooms? I would have insisted on moving to a room far out of earshot from the noise and had a tough conversation with the GM about putting guests in rooms right next to construction (they should really know better!) Sad to hear that ‘Kila has slid so much.
ajca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:08 am
  #197  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,710
Originally Posted by cheme24 View Post


I was in suite 27, and the construction was right next to us. I don’t have the resort map with me, so I am not sure what the number was, but it was not suite 26.
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany View Post


They are adding new pools to 3 existing suites. The first one is already finished, the other 2 by August. I just stayed in 37 (towards the beach), no noise issue in that part of the hotel.
Originally Posted by dmjaffe View Post
Thanks! to cheme24 & livefromtuscany. I've requested 37 -- so fingers crossed. I do have a resort map, so I'll check where 27 is.
Congratulations cheme24 on your marriage ! Sorry about the noise . GM Ernst L was rushing the pools to be ready by end of June in vain . Assume you did not speak to him as he would have moved you and have “ specials “ for your honeymoon . Hope you did enjoy your stay nevertheless .

We are now in the infinity pool suite which he managed to ready for us to check out .
There should not be noise this week .

dmjaffe when are you here ?



Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 7, 19 at 1:18 am
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 19, 11:55 pm
  #198  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by ajca View Post


Wow, it doesn’t get more un-Aman than that. Did you raise this with the team and ask to move rooms? I would have insisted on moving to a room far out of earshot from the noise and had a tough conversation with the GM about putting guests in rooms right next to construction (they should really know better!) Sad to hear that ‘Kila has slid so much.
I did not raise the issue with the GM and his team, largely because we were out and about most of the day and because we were informed they were at full capacity when we checked in. We had a great time at Kila, but there were some slips in service. For example, we ran into housekeeping while coming back to our suite 3 times (!), and one of the instances they were just sitting in the outdoor space. Apart from morning service and turndown, our suite did not get touched up at all throughout the day. We didn't experience these sorts of slips at Amandari.
cheme24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 19, 11:59 pm
  #199  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post






Congratulations cheme24 on your marriage ! Sorry about the noise . GM Ernst L was rushing the pools to be ready by end of June in vain . Assume you did not speak to him as he would have moved you and have “ specials “ for your honeymoon . Hope you did enjoy your stay nevertheless .

We are now in the infinity pool suite which he managed to ready for us to check out .
There should not be noise this week .

dmjaffe when are you here ?


Thanks, FlyerEC! We did speak with Ernst, but we did not mention this issue because we were not in our suite most of the day so it wasn't a huge issue. It only bothered us one night when we got back to our suite early. I mentioned it at checkout when they asked us about our stay, and their response was just an unsympathetic "sorry". We had a wonderful stay overall, but there were some noticeable slips in the service, as I mentioned in my post above this one.
cheme24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:23 am
  #200  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: IAD
Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
dmjaffe when are you here ?
Coming in on July 13 for 5 days. Virtuoso booking and lots of communication with the Aman reps and the GM, so hopefully it's going to be an amazing stay.
dmjaffe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 19, 7:08 am
  #201  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,710
Originally Posted by dmjaffe View Post


Coming in on July 13 for 5 days. Virtuoso booking and lots of communication with the Aman reps and the GM, so hopefully it's going to be an amazing stay.


Just miss you , will be at AMAN VILLAS - NUSA DUA


by then .
Aman reps ? Best with GM Ernst L

Should be an amazing stay
There was a cecak dance performance on the beach this evening
Some ongoing improvements , will see if I do another hotel review or TR or some updating
Feel free to pm me .



Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 23, 19 at 9:38 am
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:52 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: IAD
Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 103
Excellent thanks!. The Virtuoso agent has some Aman corporate contacts as well as Ernst.
dmjaffe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:56 am
  #203  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by dmjaffe View Post
[left]

Coming in on July 13 for 5 days. Virtuoso booking and lots of communication with the Aman reps and the GM, so hopefully it's going to be an amazing stay.
I am just curious, what do you mean by lots of communication? Did you request anything in particular? For my stay, I simply told them that I will be visiting for our honeymoon, and not much communication beyond that. I am very new to this sort of thing, so I am just trying to get some insight into what I should be doing, especially before my next Aman stay
cheme24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 19, 11:40 am
  #204  
A4K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: N/A
Posts: 588
Originally Posted by cheme24 View Post
I am just curious, what do you mean by lots of communication? Did you request anything in particular? For my stay, I simply told them that I will be visiting for our honeymoon, and not much communication beyond that. I am very new to this sort of thing, so I am just trying to get some insight into what I should be doing, especially before my next Aman stay
I think this question is kind of hard to answer. Communications before arrival would typically be for specific and possibly otherwise out of the ordinary requests such as special excursions or dining experiences, if you have a specific room you would like to request, if you want certain things in your room on arrival such as a bottle of specific champagne in your room for your honeymoon, ect.

Personally I rarely have specific requests so I will typically only communicate flight arrival or pick up instructions with the property. If you aren't looking for something particular or specific there shouldn't be much need to communicate before arrival I have found. If I know any of the management from a previous stay I will send them a note just to let them know I am coming but that is about it.

It is high season in Bali and you caught Kila at full capacity which is not the norm and they probably struggle with it a little bit. It seems like most reports here are that when a property is at full capacity something is usually off, no matter where it is.
ajca likes this.

Last edited by A4K; Jul 9, 19 at 11:51 am
A4K is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:41 am
  #205  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 250
Hi All

I will stay 4 nights at the Amandari in September and we've intentionally selected half board. Did I make a good choice re/ food quality/ selection?
So far I am pleased with the email communication with the hotel so I hope for a great stay; we'll move to one of Legian's pool villas afterwards then. Will be my first stay at an Aman hotel ever!

Cheers
Duck1981 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:52 pm
  #206  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: here and there
Programs: some
Posts: 3,144
I would only ever do half-board if staying in a remote area without easy access to other food options. I would NOT want to eat at the same place (there is only one restaurant at Dari) for 4 nights, no matter how good it was. You'll want to try Mozaic and some local babi guling and perhaps have dinner at the Four Seasons next door one night at least!
Fliar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 19, 1:28 am
  #207  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,710
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Hi All

I will stay 4 nights at the Amandari in September and we've intentionally selected half board. Did I make a good choice re/ food quality/ selection?
So far I am pleased with the email communication with the hotel so I hope for a great stay; we'll move to one of Legian's pool villas afterwards then. Will be my first stay at an Aman hotel ever!

Cheers
Did not pop by Dari for a meal this time . Only enjoyed Kila & AMAN Villas at Nusa Dua last week ( started / working on TRs ) . Used to pop by for meals there as the chefs are good even with better babi guling / roast pig than the famous one in Ubud .
Like Fliar , we did enjoy Mozaic but many years ago . If you do go , reservations should be made early . Ours was done by Kila back then for the “ Chef ‘ s table “ .
Pity you are not staying at the other 2 Amans there which we rather prefer as we have been to Bali numerous times . You will be welcomed by the new GM , Mark W , coming from a Kora lodge . Hope you enjoy your first AMAN stay .
Duck1981 likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 24, 19 at 2:28 am Reason: add information
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 19, 3:58 am
  #208  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,150
No you did not make a mistake by opting for the half board. In fact, the current Undiscovered Indonesia promo is the cheapest prepaid rate and does include HB and upgrade at time of booking.

We are now at Kila and checked out from Dari 3 nights ago. Dari was lovely and we even extended our stay by another night. Of course there are other options for lunch/dinner in Ubud but you can chose to either have lunch or dinner at Dari, still allowing you to eat out. IMHO the menu at Dari is extensive and offers good variety. The head chef Reinaldo de Luna is also flexible, you can discuss with him whatever you would like of the menu. Enjoy Dari; I did not go with very high expectations because of the general “meh” feedback here and was pleasantly surprised. Very intimate atmosphere and Mark is lovely.
Ericka, FlyerEC and Duck1981 like this.
Epicura is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 19, 10:01 am
  #209  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 761
What happened to Jann? He was GM when we were at Dari last November and thought he was doing a great job
uclabruin82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:50 am
  #210  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,968
Originally Posted by uclabruin82 View Post
What happened to Jann? He was GM when we were at Dari last November and thought he was doing a great job
He is at Jiwo now.
scented is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread