Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

San José del Cabo / Todos Santos

Old Dec 26, 18, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Planning a long weekend in late January 2019, LAX-SJD, for my fiancee and I. We arrive at 4pm Friday afternoon, pick-up a rental car (for $14 all-in via Hertiz c/o Autoslash), staying (1) night in San José del Cabo, and then driving to Todos Santos for a couple days. Back to SJD, then LAX.

I'm thinking the newly renovated Viceroy Cabo for night #1. It's $383 via my favorite last-minute app (+ $81 for a 1,000 sq ft Junior Suite) and I emailed the hotel to ask if the spa will be open by then. It seems that the price is artificially low due to the uncertainty of construction concluding, but they assured me that end of January 2019 will be good.

Then, the toll-road drive to Todos Santos. I found an Airbnb there for the 1st night and then the 2nd night I'm planning to book the Hotel San Cristóbal, because why not? The hotel does not have availability the prior night, hence the Airbnb.

https://www.vogue.com/article/todos-...a-travel-guide

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fathom/.../#423f514b1081

Interested to hear anybody & everybody's thoughts. Cheers.
Old Dec 26, 18, 8:08 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Sounds like a great trip. Keep in mind that $14 is the base rate with taxes and fees. It likely does not include the mandatory Mexican liability insurance that pretty much every company hits you with down there. Just a heads up so there are no surprises.
Old Dec 27, 18, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT; DL GLD
With a 4pm arrival and only one night there it might be playing it close to get out to the usual "romantic" spots just outside of San Jose, Flora Farms or Acre. I'd say make a primary reservation at Flora's assuming you arrive smoothly and a back-up at La Lupita for a couple hours later in case you run into delays. Avoid everything on the strip directly across from the hotel (Paseo Malecon). The only restaurant worth it nearby the hotel would be Cynthia Fresh. Cynthia worked for years at the old restaurant of the owner of Flora Farms when it was in the same building in the early 2000's.

https://www.flora-farms.com/

Home

lalupitatym.com
Old Dec 29, 18, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Got it, thanks for the advice. Viceroy Cabo booked Fri, Todos Santos Inn booked Saturday, and Hotel San Cristobal Baja booked on Sunday.

Friday night dinner at Cynthia Fresh, and Flora Farms for lunch on Saturday. Does it make sense to make a reservation at Flora Farms? We may try to extend our check-out for the Viceroy to enjoy the spa Saturday morning and then head to Flora Farms for a late lunch. I would like to be on the road to Todos Santos by 3pm at the latest so we can get there before dark.

Any recommendations for Todos Santos?

Old Dec 30, 18, 9:04 pm

Reservations are an absolute must for Flora. Don’t be alarmed by the drive on the dirt road.

I’d recommend La Lupita the first night over Cynthia’s. Much better atmosphere and you’ll be able to check out all the art galleries nearby as well as the town square and the church. The tacos at Lupita are excellent and they’ve got some fantastic mezcals.

No recs on Todos Santos as haven’t driven up in a decade.

Old Dec 31, 18, 7:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Reservations are an absolute must for Flora. Don’t be alarmed by the drive on the dirt road.

Totally agree on reservations. We love Flora. Also had a good experience at Acre (next store) but I think we prefer Flora. We generally eat at Flora's on every trip. That said, I am concerned that Flora's is "going Hollywood" rather rapidly.

I’d recommend La Lupita the first night over Cynthia’s. Much better atmosphere and you’ll be able to check out all the art galleries nearby as well as the town square and the church. The tacos at Lupita are excellent and they’ve got some fantastic mezcals.
Also second La Lupita's. Great place (we also loved the Thai restaurant that was in that location for many years!). Cynthia's location is a bit less than inspiring.

No recs on Todos Santos as haven’t driven up in a decade.
Honestly, I would not burn an overnight in Todos Santos. It's an easy day trip and you can literally explore the entire downtown and have lunch in about three hours. We have been a few times and it's certainly worth the day trip (time permitting) but I personally wouldn't waste staying over night there unless there was a specific reason (e.g. they have an annual food and wine festival). There is just not a whole lot to do there.

Also, not sure why the OP wants to change properties every night. On a three night stay that is quite a hassle. We go to Cabo frequently (for over 20 years) and most of these places can be seen with an easy drive. There is a hassle factor with checking in and out of properties, especially for such short says. I'd pick one home base and just do a couple day trips.

Regards

Old Dec 31, 18, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
We just spent 4 days on the Baja Sur coast, around Todos Santos. There is a brand-new hotel, by Bunkhouse, called Hotel San Cristobal. We checked it out, and it felt very LA, scene-y. Left, and drove down the coast 10 minutes to Rancho Pescadero, where we were welcomed like family and had a marvelous time. It's not at all the height of luxury, but I'd certainly recommend it.
ranchopescadero.com

sancristobalbaja.com
bunkhousegroup.com

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 2, 19 at 6:13 pm
Old Dec 31, 18, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Totally agree on reservations. We love Flora. Also had a good experience at Acre (next store) but I think we prefer Flora. We generally eat at Flora's on every trip. That said, I am concerned that Flora's is "going Hollywood" rather rapidly.

Also second La Lupita's. Great place (we also loved the Thai restaurant that was in that location for many years!). Cynthia's location is a bit less than inspiring.

Honestly, I would not burn an overnight in Todos Santos. It's an easy day trip and you can literally explore the entire downtown and have lunch in about three hours. We have been a few times and it's certainly worth the day trip (time permitting) but I personally wouldn't waste staying over night there unless there was a specific reason (e.g. they have an annual food and wine festival). There is just not a whole lot to do there.

Also, not sure why the OP wants to change properties every night. On a three night stay that is quite a hassle. We go to Cabo frequently (for over 20 years) and most of these places can be seen with an easy drive. There is a hassle factor with checking in and out of properties, especially for such short says. I'd pick one home base and just do a couple day trips.

Regards
Baan Thai was fantastic. The owner/chef will cater if you ever need to get a fix.

Petit Masala just up the road was excellent as well but they closed up after New Years and moved to Vancouver.

I'd say that is the best recommendation yet-don't spend 2 of your 3 nights in Todos Santos. It's a total day trip, but maybe spend the night there once if you absolutely have to do it.
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, maybe we will extend the Viceroy to (2) nights. But we like to surf and are very low key + the Hotel San Cristóbal seems really nice in Todos Santos.

And just like that, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/t...xico-baja.html
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bmoeller1 View Post
Thanks, maybe we will extend the Viceroy to (2) nights. But we like to surf and are very low key + the Hotel San Cristóbal seems really nice in Todos Santos.
We are low key as well, we just don't like moving hotels everyday, particularly on a short trip, just doesn't make sense to me. If surfing was my thing, I'd just go to TS for the whole time. I think people sometimes underestimate the hassle of moving locations everyday and the overall effect it has on relaxation, but to each their own as they say.

And trust me, we are very low key as well. In fact, we usually don't do luxury in San Jose (sometimes we do, but mostly just a moderate condo, which terrifies/perplexes most in this particular forum)

Yes, I'd read as well. Articles like that terrify me. We've been going to SJD for 20 years. Part of the attraction was the quaint charm. But, the area is going Hollywood very, very quickly. I suspect in the next few years we'll have to begin to look elsewhere as it will just become another overrun, overbuilt tourist trap (and it pains me to say that, we genuinely love the area)

Enjoy your trip and I hope you have a wonderful time no matter where you stay!

Regards
Old Jan 3, 19, 11:30 am

And just like that, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/t...xico-baja.html
Check out the Cabo Surf Hotel https://cabosurfhotel.com/ as it ticks all those boxes. It's just down the highway before the Palmilla. If you don't end up staying there, might be worth it to go for breakfast and to surf one morning.
Old Jan 3, 19, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Yes, I'd read as well. Articles like that terrify me. We've been going to SJD for 20 years. Part of the attraction was the quaint charm. But, the area is going Hollywood very, very quickly. I suspect in the next few years we'll have to begin to look elsewhere as it will just become another overrun, overbuilt tourist trap (and it pains me to say that, we genuinely love the area)

Enjoy your trip and I hope you have a wonderful time no matter where you stay!

Regards
At least the Applebee's closed. We always joked that it would be time to find a new place when the Rolls Royce parked at the trailer park left (coming up on ten years ago now).
Old Jan 21, 19, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Any reason to be concerned about the fuel thefts / shortages? We arrive this Friday!
Old Jan 25, 19, 3:50 pm

Any reason to be concerned about the fuel thefts / shortages? We arrive this Friday!
There are not according to some family who are currently down there. What did your final plans end up being?

Search this Thread