Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury in South Kensington London?

Old Dec 19, 18, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

We will be traveling with a 1 year old and need to be in this area for a four day stay. It's a new list of hotels to me - No. 16, the Pelham and Kensington were recommended.
The rooms at No. 16 seem too small, so I am focusing on the other two. We'd like a proper suite, quiet location and good service. I'm not sure if any
of these is even luxury. Any thoughts for this area? TIA.
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Close to this area, I'd also add for your consideration Egerton House — with Virtuoso amenities. Egerton House is a lovely hotel comprised of two adjoining townhouses joined into a beautiful hotel. The best rooms here face the front of the hotel with lots of natural light and a nice neighborhood view.

Rooms in London are small. I'd consider a "proper" Suite to be a separate bedroom and living area with closing door between the two and at least 500 sq ft of space. The Pelham has a Junior Suite that's 355 sq ft (what I'd consider a "Superior" room).

The Kensington has a "Family Room" with enough beds for you all - but only 270 sq ft (what I'd call a "Classic" room). Comes with Travel Leaders Select amenities.

Egerton House has a proper Suite at 646 square feet (and a 3-for-2 rate through April 24).
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

807 sq ft suite >
doylecollection.com/hotels/the-kensington-hotel/rooms/the-knightsbridge-suite
753 sq ft suite >
doylecollection.com/hotels/the-kensington-hotel/rooms/the-brompton-suite
part of Global Hotel Alliance >
discoveryloyalty.com/Hotel-Brands
mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/the-kensington-hotel-london

538 sq ft suite >
starhotelscollezione.com/en/our-hotels/the-pelham-london/rooms-and-suites/king-suite.html
not suite but 1,098 sq ft studio loft (might ask re connecting) >
starhotelscollezione.com/en/our-hotels/the-pelham-london/rooms-and-suites/the-mews.html

no 16 - there are firmdale fans here, also >
Some of the Deluxe and Luxury rooms can be interconnected - the perfect option for a family requiring more space. If these are not available Number Sixteen will guarantee for all families to stay in rooms adjacent or near to one another.
mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/number-sixteen

egerton - there are red carnation fans here

also >
ampersandhotel.com/rooms/suites
mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/the-ampersand-hotel
slh.com/hotels/the-ampersand-hotel
not currently participating with hyatt

mrandmrssmith pages sometimes have useful information not published on hotel site

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 18 at 9:26 pm
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
I would add the Ampersand to this list, which is a bigger sized hotel with good public areas. Not seem a room. Opp SKen tube.

The Crowne Plaza, oddly, is very nice post refurb and some good duplex suites which overlook the huge hidden garden at the back.

The Belmond in Chelsea should open in January after a total refurb. Modest stroll to South Ken station.

if you get a map out, you will see that the Mandarin Oriental is only about 10 mins walk to South Ken station too although technically Knightsbridge. You could then start adding Jumeirah Carlton Tower, Park Tower etc.

Old Dec 20, 18, 3:57 am

I rate the Jumeirah Carlton Tower very highly - great location, nearby underground parking, nearby Underground Tube, and it has proper-sized rooms and suites, good dining and a pool/spa. The townhouse style hotels, such as Egerton House and The Capital, can be stuffy and claustrophobic for some folks.

BTW - the real Mr and Mrs Smith featured in that jaw-droppingly tacky documentary series about Cliveden. They seemed to fit in rather well.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Dec 20, 18 at 4:02 am
Old Dec 20, 18, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I agree on boutique hotels - I tend to love or hate them and don't trust my predictive skills on this batch, and suitability for a young child complicates matters. Even some of the names are off putting - Ampersand (which actually does look worthy of consideration) and then I stumbled upon something called the Exhibitionist....

I will now check availability for many of the recommendations above and see which works best. Thanks for the tip on the Belmond - I didn't know it had been updated. And
specific to the Jumeirah Carlton Tower - has that been refreshed over the years? The location looks fantastic. And I agree with David O on what constitutes a proper suite - appreciate all of the room metrics above so many can be eliminated.
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mickidon View Post
Thanks, all. I agree on boutique hotels - I tend to love or hate them and don't trust my predictive skills on this batch, and suitability for a young child complicates matters. Even some of the names are off putting - Ampersand (which actually does look worthy of consideration) and then I stumbled upon something called the Exhibitionist....

I will now check availability for many of the recommendations above and see which works best. Thanks for the tip on the Belmond - I didn't know it had been updated. And
specific to the Jumeirah Carlton Tower - has that been refreshed over the years? The location looks fantastic. And I agree with David O on what constitutes a proper suite - appreciate all of the room metrics above so many can be eliminated.
Carlton Tower has not a full refurb for a while. Pool is very nice there, being 12 stories up.
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Raffles, thanks re ampersand, i was not sure if i should post it !

belmond cadogan now owned by cadogan family
edit - presume family will prefer a quality hotel
investor.belmond.com/news/2014/07-08-2014.aspx
$48 million investment ... reconfiguration of 64 keys to 54
and now belmond is owned by LVMH

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 20, 18 at 12:22 pm
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
belmond cadogan ownership has returned to cadogan family

Raffles, thanks re ampersand, i was not sure if i should post it !
Is this ownership change a good thing?
Old Dec 21, 18, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mickidon View Post
Is this ownership change a good thing?
Yes. Cadogan family owns virtually all of Chelsea including Sloane Street where the hotel sits. They take a very holistic view of their estate and will happily lose money on a hotel if it brings in more tourists to visit the shops and restaurants they also own. Decent bunch too, they are 'out and about' and pop up at local events, and to be honest you could not ask for better.

Having one company own huge chunks of central London works, oddly. Since planning rules in the UK do not take much of a holistic view (ie you can't stop someone opening an estate agents even if the same street already has 10 in a row) we generally rely on the long term nature of the grand family estates to ensure a suitable mix of housing, retail etc.

It is not a coincidence that Marylebone, now looking very much like Chelsea, is also controlled by one family.
Old Dec 21, 18, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post

BTW - the real Mr and Mrs Smith featured in that jaw-droppingly tacky documentary series about Cliveden. They seemed to fit in rather well.
That series has put me off ever wanting to go to Cliveden. Why on earth would they agree to it? It shows how understaffed and chaotic the place is and focuses on the most vulgar and tacky guests.
Pausanias likes this.
Old Dec 21, 18, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great details Raffles !

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter View Post
That series has put me off ever wanting to go to Cliveden. Why on earth would they agree to it? It shows how understaffed and chaotic the place is and focuses on the most vulgar and tacky guests.
"no publicity is bad publicity" sometimes owner not well informed, decisions made by PR etc

the latest strategy from FS >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
fourseasons.com/popdown
"invitation-only evening"
"Instagrammable florals"
frankly guest mix can be a problem everywhere and can be a reason to travel last minute. all brands and almost all properties allow large groups, and doesnt really matter who those guests are.

my interests with regards to luxury hotels/properties seem to keep narrowing. i find myself coming to agreement with many extremely different perspectives here, on various interests and preferences. altogether those perspectives leave not much left of interest.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 25, 18 at 5:26 pm
Old Dec 21, 18, 8:21 pm

I canít recommend Egerton House highly enough. It might be our favorite hotel we have ever stayed in. The staff is just absolutely amazing. Itís like youíre all family, and a great location to boot.

Search this Thread