Wiki Posts
Search

LVMH acquires Belmond group

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

LVMH acquires Belmond group

Big move!
I wonder what will happen in the next coming month. Do they plan to expand the Cheval Blanc collection?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/catheri.../#645db3c7765a
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:44 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Big move!
I wonder what will happen in the next coming month. Do they plan to expand the Cheval Blanc collection?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/catheri.../#645db3c7765a
At least the VSOE remains in good hands. We had to many hotel groups being sold to owners of whom many prefer NOT to be customers. Look at Aman!
Pierre&Cédric and windscar like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I had heard the rumors for awhile that Belmond was on the auction block... I'm very relieved that the buyer was not Accor, a name I had heard mentioned. Accor would have had no idea what to do with a small, boutique luxury collection.

I've done a site inspection at Cheval Blanc in the Maldives, a small, stunning, and extremely high-end resort. I get positive vibes from the idea of VSOE acquiring the Belmond properties
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Belmond bought by LVMH, as reported today.

https://www.ft.com/content/12a03e2c-...0-57a2a826423e

Knowing LVMH they will likely not merge with Cheval Blanc. Interesting move certainly and a few properties would need some investment.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
cheval did do a reflag after acquiring on st barts
potential: castello di casole (villa sales) & cipriani

almost entirely owned (cadogan is managed, E&O train is 25% stake)
investor.belmond.com/~/media/Files/B/Belmond-IR/reports-and-presentations/investor-presentation-aug-2018.pdf
not sure how fast LVMH would announce changes

unlikely belmond would accept stock deal from accor

SNCF (acquired Orient Express traincars from accor in past) announced plan for Orient Express train of their own, did joint venture with accor for Orient Express hotels

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 1, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
SNCF (owns Orient Express name) previously announced plan for Orient Express train of their own, and did deal with accor to do Orient Express hotels
Sorry by VSOE I mean the Venice Simplon Orient Express which is operated by Belmond with original refurbished carriages (air suspension, but no bathrooms and no air conditioning). A rolling museum and fantastic for train fans like myself. They also operate lovely trains in Ireland, the UK, Peru and SE Asia. They had even (failed) operations in Australia.
Indeed SNCF made drafts of a modern version of Orient Express with all comforts, but I doubt given the sore state of the French rail network (except high speed lines), their demotivated staff and disastrous finances that this project will have any future.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry, i know you have followed, was posting for others, including accor connection

re australia train, belmond held long time, then recently moved it to peru to operate

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 1, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re castello di casole, 10 months ago belmond acquired hotel and 16 villa lots saying 3 lots were reserved

not sure how many villas were sold / built, some remain managed by timbers, 7 were originally sold to Exclusive Resorts (both american companies)

could be very interesting if LVMH invests and sells really nice villas. LVMH could even buy some of the owned villas, redo them, sell / rent for a lot more, basically turn it into cheval blanc level luxury like in maldives (IIRC cheval blanc maldives still planning and developing residences)

if arnault liked any belmond, he may do some incredible renovations, could even buy Orient Express name (only 1 hotel contract announced) from accor / SNCF

arnault owns half of LVMH, market cap $29B net income $6.4B
interesting he took dior private, but didnt then take LVMH private

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/LVMH-to-acquire-Belmond-for-3-2-billion
LVMH CFO...owned real estate was a primary draw for LVMH, and that there were no plans to sell off any assets. "In our view, the fact that Belmond owns an extremely large share of their portfolio, and an unusually large share compared to peers, is a strong competitive advantage," Guiony added. "In other segments of hospitality, the distinction between operations and real estate makes much more sense, but as far as luxury hospitality -- and especially ultra-luxury hospitality -- is concerned, I think aligning the real estate and operations is extremely important. So that will not change."
the very best luxury properties have great owners

could do more collaborations with jean michel gathy
new build - cheval blanc maldives
historical aman - venice, sveti stefan, summer palace, bora bora
tented aman - wana, ikhas (belmond has african safaris)

skift.com/2018/12/14/what-lvmhs-belmond-buy-means-for-the-future-of-luxury-travel/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:41 am

if arnault liked any belmond, he may do some incredible renovations, could even buy Orient Express name (only 1 hotel contract announced) from accor / SNCF
That is exactly my hope, Luis Vuitton matches the excellence of the VSOE.
The bland tower in a crap city becoming an Orient Express Hotel is really bad news and the name Accor makes it worse. In the same tower there is already the only Atelier de Joël Robuchon worldwide which is really a disaster from the poor wine service to the nickel and diming and the surly staff.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

residence owners at belmond properties may also be happy to pay towards renovations to dramatically raise income, or at castello di casole to avoid being excluded from hotel rental

some could add residences

likely by far best brand sale, though rosewood buyer building many hotels

if buying back OE name, could do trains with few cabins including for charter.
charter train more luxurious than belmond charter barges would be interesting

always curious re value of brand names when there are only a couple properties

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 2, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
https://skift.com/2018/12/19/how-accor-landed-its-first-orient-express-hotel-in-bangkok-bumping-a-planned-marriott-edition/

Sorry if this was posted already
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems like a lot of potential >

napasai - residences, all-villa
castello di casole - residences
samanna - residences, cottages
cap juluca - residences, villas with 1-6 rooms
encanto - bungalows with 1-6 rooms
maroma - like encanto & juluca ; had villa?
residencia - 3BR villa
caruso - 2BR villa margherita
villa san michele - 3 room villa ; 1 other?
cipriani - 23 room palazzo vendramin

if you could pick designers etc - who?

seems cap juluca has 3 owned villas so far
belmond mentioned being able to sell rest

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 3, 2019 at 4:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.