Rio de Janeiro in July

Old Dec 5, 18, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, USAirways, Hilton, Hyatt, Loews, Marriott, Starwood
Rio de Janeiro in July

A small group of friends will be in Rio for a few days in July and looking for hotel recommendations. Since half of us live near the beach in Florida, a beach location is not a priority but would be nice for the non-Floridians in the group. It would be nice to be near nice restaurants and shopping and nightlife. And definitely not out in the 'burbs. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 5, 18, 6:04 pm

Belmond Copacabana Palace is quite nice, definitely the best luxury option in Rio. Iíve seen photos of the Grand Hyatt and it looks really interesting but know nothing about it.

Unfortunately Rio doesnít have much of a luxury hotel scene (which is odd considering how big of a city it is - I would half expect FS and StR or RC to have properties there, but itís probsbly due to stability reasons that they donít).
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:04 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Fasano beats Belmond Copacabana Palace for me in every way - hard product, location, etc. Copacabana Palace was nice for lunch though. I don't like Copacabana as a location - Ipanema is far more appealing to me. Be sure to try AprazŪvel for a meal in Santa Teresa. Otherwise (aside from lunch at Copacabana and some pool time there) we didn't feel the need to leave Ipanema or Leblon (which is the beach that Ipanema joins).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The hyatt is not in a good location IMHO. I would second the Fasano. The Belmond will be nice if people really like old classic hotels, but Ipanema is much better than Copacabana.
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:30 am

Also take a look at the Sofitel which is a step down from the Fasano - but good value and in very good location. Many rooms have great views.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:34 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

what did you like about the copacabana, especially regarding its location across the streets?
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:38 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Copacabana is fine as long as you don't plan to leave the hotel!
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DSI View Post
what did you like about the copacabana, especially regarding its location across the streets?
I was upgraded to a small corner suite overlooking the beach on a FHR rate. I like the hotel's pool. I considered it tacky to provide a Nespresso machine but charge three Euro per coffee pod.

July is low season for Rio and the locals consider it to be too cold to go to the beach much. Unheated pools can be very cold too.

I also stayed at the GH which was opened shortly before the Olympics.I liked it very much and in some ways would consider it a "better" or more luxurious hotel than Copacabana Palace, where the advantages seem to be the iconic historic building and good security, including for the ATM that IIRC is hidden back in the business center behind the front desk. However, the GH is located between beach and lagoon in Barra, so it's in the suburbs (much safer, but it's about an hour drive to the tourist spots, depending of course on traffic). The GH had some amazing (and multilingual) employees, some of whom told me that they had been recruited away from the Palace while others had experience in other Hyatts, including a woman from Japan responsible for elite guest relations. The lounge manager was a real gem.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 6, 18 at 11:01 am

Search this Thread