Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Need Ideas for Asia in November

Need Ideas for Asia in November

Old Dec 4, 18, 3:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Need Ideas for Asia in November

We are going on a two week cruise from Tokyo to Hong Kong next November. We arrive in Hong Kong mid November. We want to extend another week somewhere in Asia. From what I have read here, November can be a bit tricky for weather. Some of the places that have been recommended are Thailand and Laos. We have been to Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang and loved all three. We have not been to Chiang Rai or Phuket or any of the beach resorts so those are possibilities. I have looked at Trisara, Amanpuri and Rosewood in Phuket.

We are up for city or resort or a combination..

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Ellyb102 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 4:28 pm
  #2  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,767
Amanpulo !


Many flights to MNL from HKG , stay over a couple of days if you have not been to Manila & then easy to Amanpulo .


if not Puri & Trisara .
scented likes this.
FlyerEC is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 4:40 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 136
Head down to Cambodia for the Water Festival, a 3 day period where the flow between the Tonle Sap and the Mekong River reverses. There are boat races and everyone is celebrating. I just got back a few days ago, and it was amazing. In Phnom Penh we stayed at the Rosewood and then we went to Siem Reap to see the temples and stayed at Amansara (which I reviewed in the Amansara thread). Itís a perfect SE Asia getaway for a +/- a week in November!

edit: So apparently the water festival is from the 10th to the 12th of November in 2019, so itís not in late November like it was this year. I still recommend visiting Cambodia though!

Last edited by MicSanToro; Dec 4, 18 at 4:42 pm Reason: Oops, I guess dates change in 2019
MicSanToro is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 7:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,634
Loy Krathong in Thailand (Nov 22 I beliieve) in Bangkok staying on the river would be great.
erik123 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 9:20 pm
  #5  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,602
Bangkok or Siem Reap would be a nice end to your trip.
bluebubble likes this.
Aventine is online now  
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BWI
Posts: 1,780
What cruise line? Just curious...
farbster is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:16 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Farbster we are going on a Viking Ocean Cruise.....we have never cruised with Viking before. We usually go on Crystal or Seabourn or Regent, but we liked this itinerary, and I have heard good things about this line. We will see!

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I have done some research especially seeing how easily we can use our frequent flyer points to return to the US. I was able to secure two first class award seats on JAL SFO to HND using 80,000 AA miles for each ticket. That will be a great way to start our trip!

I have a few questions. First, do I need to worry about typhoons at Amanpulo in November.....I have lived in South Florida for may years including being hit the the big one Andrew....I don't want to travel halfway around the world and deal with a typhoon! Otherwise, Amanpulo sounds idyllic, and is easily reached from Hong Kong.

Also, between Trisara and Amanpuri there are pros and cons for each. We have friends that go to Trisara every year and love it there. We have been to several Aman resorts including three in Bali and Amantaka in Luang Prabang. However, this was some time ago, and I know that the Aman Resorts have undergone some changes of ownership so I think each Aman should be judged on its own. What are the pros and cons of each?

As far as Cambodia, we were there about 10 years ago, but stayed at the Raffles which at that time needed major refurbishment. That was the last time I let a travel company select my hotels! Angor Wat was so crowded with tourists (February) that we could not wait to leave. It was on our bucket list, and we were so disappointed in the experience. I would love to return and stay at Amansara and go at dawn with a great guide to really see and experience this wonder. I don't know if I could convince my husband to return though!

Unfortunately, we will miss the water festivals in 2019 as get are later next year.

Thanks again for your advice.
Ellyb102 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:08 pm
  #8  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,767
Originally Posted by Ellyb102 View Post
Farbster we are going on a Viking Ocean Cruise.....we have never cruised with Viking before. We usually go on Crystal or Seabourn or Regent, but we liked this itinerary, and I have heard good things about this line. We will see!

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I have done some research especially seeing how easily we can use our frequent flyer points to return to the US. I was able to secure two first class award seats on JAL SFO to HND using 80,000 AA miles for each ticket. That will be a great way to start our trip!

I have a few questions. First, do I need to worry about typhoons at Amanpulo in November.....I have lived in South Florida for may years including being hit the the big one Andrew....I don't want to travel halfway around the world and deal with a typhoon! Otherwise, Amanpulo sounds idyllic, and is easily reached from Hong Kong.

Also, between Trisara and Amanpuri there are pros and cons for each. We have friends that go to Trisara every year and love it there. We have been to several Aman resorts including three in Bali and Amantaka in Luang Prabang. However, this was some time ago, and I know that the Aman Resorts have undergone some changes of ownership so I think each Aman should be judged on its own. What are the pros and cons of each?

As far as Cambodia, we were there about 10 years ago, but stayed at the Raffles which at that time needed major refurbishment. That was the last time I let a travel company select my hotels! Angor Wat was so crowded with tourists (February) that we could not wait to leave. It was on our bucket list, and we were so disappointed in the experience. I would love to return and stay at Amansara and go at dawn with a great guide to really see and experience this wonder. I don't know if I could convince my husband to return though!

Unfortunately, we will miss the water festivals in 2019 as get are later next year.

Thanks again for your advice.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
Amanpulo !


Many flights to MNL from HKG , stay over a couple of days if you have not been to Manila & then easy to Amanpulo .


if not Puri & Trisara .


Well , the weather patterns have changed so typhoons can happen into November . We even had gale advisory last week while at Amanemu with something going by Okinawa ! Strong winds & rain , thankfully only overnight .
Amanpulo weather maybe ‘ iffy ‘ and things haven’t been since the TIBBLEs left for AmanSS . The beach , sand , etcetera are still amazing .

It will be high season in Phuket . We often split stays between Puri & Trisara . Love the beach , pools , spa & villas at Puri . The gym is great too if you make it there . Always enjoy our meals .

Trisara is more “ modern “ & Anthony is great . Poor / corally beach .
Lovely breakfast , like the beachside pool .


scented and vuittonsofstyle like this.
FlyerEC is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:08 pm
  #9  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,602
Originally Posted by Ellyb102 View Post
Farbster we are going on a Viking Ocean Cruise.....we have never cruised with Viking before. We usually go on Crystal or Seabourn or Regent, but we liked this itinerary, and I have heard good things about this line. We will see!

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I have done some research especially seeing how easily we can use our frequent flyer points to return to the US. I was able to secure two first class award seats on JAL SFO to HND using 80,000 AA miles for each ticket. That will be a great way to start our trip!

I have a few questions. First, do I need to worry about typhoons at Amanpulo in November.....I have lived in South Florida for may years including being hit the the big one Andrew....I don't want to travel halfway around the world and deal with a typhoon! Otherwise, Amanpulo sounds idyllic, and is easily reached from Hong Kong.

Also, between Trisara and Amanpuri there are pros and cons for each. We have friends that go to Trisara every year and love it there. We have been to several Aman resorts including three in Bali and Amantaka in Luang Prabang. However, this was some time ago, and I know that the Aman Resorts have undergone some changes of ownership so I think each Aman should be judged on its own. What are the pros and cons of each?

As far as Cambodia, we were there about 10 years ago, but stayed at the Raffles which at that time needed major refurbishment. That was the last time I let a travel company select my hotels! Angor Wat was so crowded with tourists (February) that we could not wait to leave. It was on our bucket list, and we were so disappointed in the experience. I would love to return and stay at Amansara and go at dawn with a great guide to really see and experience this wonder. I don't know if I could convince my husband to return though!

Unfortunately, we will miss the water festivals in 2019 as get are later next year.

Thanks again for your advice.
I would definitely recommend other temples than the Wat. Many to see and a lot less crowded. The Wat only gets busier every month!

Astrid is still holding the old Aman standard up very well and Amansara is probably one of the top Amans.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 6, 18 at 1:03 am
Aventine is online now  
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:32 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,634
Also consider Vietnam. An easy flight to HAN or DAD form HKG.
erik123 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:41 am
  #11  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,602
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Also consider Vietnam. An easy flight to HAN or DAD form HKG.
Amanoi is another possibility as well.
Aventine is online now  
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 703
Our DS just came back from Asia - was in Cambodia for the Water Festival and said it was fun but made PP ridiculously crowded and also added to the difficult and opening
times in both SR and PP. They LOVED the Amansara - absolutely everything about it, including the guides. Amanpulo - great venue, not so great service, which was
a disappointment and not consistent with our experience. Weather was hot but no typhoons. We did experience one last year in HKG at about the same time.
Mickidon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread