Luxury hotels on TV - never lives up to expectations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA

It's funny how my experiences never compare with how these hotels are portrayed on TV. The service is never as good as it should be. For example, in the Savoy in London the housekeeper was saying she runs her finger checking for dust in each room. But when I stayed there I found some dust behind the TV. In the Mandarin in London, i never got a cake for my birthday.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while others completely transcend all expectations, whether service or other things

some have manager inspect room. depending on when, dust & spiderweb can happen
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by GodAtum
It's funny how my experiences never compare with how these hotels are portrayed on TV. The service is never as good as it should be. For example, in the Savoy in London the housekeeper was saying she runs her finger checking for dust in each room. But when I stayed there I found some dust behind the TV. In the Mandarin in London, i never got a cake for my birthday.
For me it's the other way round... did not get to watch all these TV shows but the few glimpses I had it was not something I was very keen to experience. I would say many of my hotel and resort experiences have been lightyears ahead of what was shown on TV.

Few variables that should be taken into consideration when evaluating these so-called documentaries: who commissioned them, what perspective is shown, what is it doing to expectations of most guests, what is the underlining message, etc.

Think average audience will not stay at either MO London or The Savoy. Also think that the alleged guests in almost all of the shows came across very bizarre.

In the Mandarin in London, i never got a cake for my birthday.
Maybe you did not stay during your birthday?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by scented
For me it's the other way round... did not get to watch all these TV shows but the few glimpses I had it was not something I was very keen to experience. I would say many of my hotel and resort experiences have been lightyears ahead of what was shown on TV.

Few variables that should be taken into consideration when evaluating these so-called documentaries: who commissioned them, what perspective is shown, what is it doing to expectations of most guests, what is the underlining message, etc.

Think average audience will not stay at either MO London or The Savoy. Also think that the alleged guests in almost all of the shows came across very bizarre.

Maybe you did not stay during your birthday?
Lol. I just used to blindly enjoy the experience of staying in these kind of hotels. But after watching these shows I learnt a lot more of what should be expected when paying £1000s a night. Like what welcome amenities one should get, how to tell if the bedsheets were ironed properly etc.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The documentaries always make out the Butlers, etc. are terrible status obsessed clueless make believe artists. I thought a documentary on the Burj al Arab was particularly painful. The multi-part series on the Savoy from when it reopened was a bit better, but even there the Head Butler came across as a fantasist. It's a shame as I know quite a few of the Savoy staff from the opening and at the moment and they're by and large an incredibly professional and sensible bunch.
scented likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Member

Gosh, I got along famously with Sean Davoren, head butler at the Savoy.
scented likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The documentaries always make out the Butlers, etc. are terrible status obsessed clueless make believe artists. I thought a documentary on the Burj al Arab was particularly painful. The multi-part series on the Savoy from when it reopened was a bit better, but even there the Head Butler came across as a fantasist. It's a shame as I know quite a few of the Savoy staff from the opening and at the moment and they're by and large an incredibly professional and sensible bunch.
What do you mean by a fantasist? Like how they will never say no to a customer but they actually do?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The picture painted was of Disney Prince and Princesses obsessing over the number of pleats on a uniform, whereas most of the Savoy's customers are called Dave and are on holiday from Des Moines to see Les Miserables.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

I am a bit OCD and a perfectionist, but sometimes I cannot help but complain. At the Mandarin DC, the towels in the bathroom were not in a straight pile and the bedsheet was 1.7cm longer on one side of the bed. I know this seems very petty but especially when paying £1000s per night I think I have a right to be.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:53 am

I am a bit OCD and a perfectionist, but sometimes I cannot help but complain. At the Mandarin DC, the towels in the bathroom were not in a straight pile and the bedsheet was 1.7cm longer on one side of the bed. I know this seems very petty but especially when paying £1000s per night I think I have a right to be.
Atrocious — hope you had the housekeeping manager fired on the spot
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Plaza Hotel failed because Kevin Macallister wasn't there.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"£1000s per night" - one of top 2 suites? more like £2k or £10k?
closer to £10k i agree managers should have attention to detail
re DC there is also FS for example with expensive top 4 suites

consider unbranded properties with few rooms and high rates
but mainly pay close attention to discussion on this forum
even when dedicated staff, depends on the staff in question

when booking top suite, absolutely do detailed stay lists etc

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 30, 2018 at 1:15 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:19 pm

DId you measure the bedsheet? Do you bring a tape measure with you to perform such tasks?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
DId you measure the bedsheet? Do you bring a tape measure with you to perform such tasks?
Not at first but after watching a lot of these so called "documentaries" I carry a small tape measure. I also use it to measure the gap between cutlery and plates in 3 Michelin starred restaurants. As I've said I do have OCD.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Not at first but after watching a lot of these so called "documentaries" I carry a small tape measure. I also use it to measure the gap between cutlery and plates in 3 Michelin starred restaurants. As I've said I do have OCD.
Ayup.
scented likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.