Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best North American Skiing and Luxury Hotel Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:33 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We just booked Fairmont Chateau Whistler for a big family ski trip next year. We booked into the newly renovated Gold Level so we can all hang out together. We’ve been to the FS before but thought this would be the better option for “ski in ski out” and a way to reconnect the skiers with the non skiers throughout the day. Fingers crossed!

We’ve got some kids so it sure is nice not to have to worry about the altitude.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
We just booked Fairmont Chateau Whistler for a big family ski trip next year. We booked into the newly renovated Gold Level so we can all hang out together. We’ve been to the FS before but thought this would be the better option for “ski in ski out” and a way to reconnect the skiers with the non skiers throughout the day. Fingers crossed!

We’ve got some kids so it sure is nice not to have to worry about the altitude.
Gold floor is supposedly quite nice and the location is better but the ski concierge setup at FS is vastly superior to Fairmont. If the rate is similar I would not chose Fairmont over FS.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:15 pm

Any recent stays at the Montage in Deer Valley, Utah? Looks pretty nice. But wonder if there is a better option for skiing?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Livetotell
Any recent stays at the Montage in Deer Valley, Utah? Looks pretty nice. But wonder if there is a better option for skiing?
St Regis, Montage, and Stein Ericksen are all ski in/out. I'm not a skier, but of the three I much prefer the Stein Eriksen, followed closely by the St Regis. Montage is OK, but very big and a distant third.

I'd note that FS Whistler is not ski in/out and it is an awkward hike to get from the hotel to the ski chalet.
Livetotell likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have a reservation at the St Regis for this upcoming Xmas season since I wanted to burn my points now before rates go up and the $ rates are crazy.
I like the stein the best and it is the best for lunch / daytime in my opinion. the St Regis has the best apres scene of the three (though still nothing crazy) for both adults and kids. The Montage is the most isolated so going to be quieter. The biggest selling point about the Montage for me would be its location at Empire which has some of the best skiing at DV. Though it is very far from ski school and so if you have real little ones, you will be driving from the Montage every morning.
Livetotell likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I have a reservation at the St Regis for this upcoming Xmas season since I wanted to burn my points now before rates go up and the $ rates are crazy.
I like the stein the best and it is the best for lunch / daytime in my opinion. the St Regis has the best apres scene of the three (though still nothing crazy) for both adults and kids. The Montage is the most isolated so going to be quieter. The biggest selling point about the Montage for me would be its location at Empire which has some of the best skiing at DV. Though it is very far from ski school and so if you have real little ones, you will be driving from the Montage every morning.
I agree about the bar scene - St Regis is clearly better and a lot of fun. But we're talking Utah here, and the bar scene in Utah is *very* weird.
Livetotell likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:58 am

Stein is definitely #1 and then St. Regis/Montage are interchangeable. I think the Montage is much nicer as a hotel but as the others noted, St. Regis location is better and definitely has the apres scene. Montage does have Yama Sushi, which is great and at least used to be only for guests during COVID- I'm not sure if that's changed.

The one thing I would note, and this isn't unique to Deer Valley/Park City at all, is that all are having huge staffing issues. I heard numerous complaints from friends and colleagues who stayed at all three properties this winter. I feel badly for the staff because they are just stretched too thin, but something to consider. I've heard much better things from Aspen, Vail, and some other locations with regards to service this winter.
Livetotell likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Love the Montage. Empire location is awesome. Great rooms and early morning fresh tracks. Stein has a phenomenal buffet lunch though!
Livetotell likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:06 am

I know that both Banff Springs Hotel and Chateau Lake Louise are not what we, these days, consider luxury, and are often overcrowded. But I love them. I love the history and the scenery, particularly in the winter.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.