Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Twin Farms vs The Point

Twin Farms vs The Point

Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:01 pm
formerly lelandv
Original Poster

Twin Farms vs The Point

Any current stays at Twin Farms or The Point??
Was there two years ago but have heard Twin Farms in particular experienced a bit of a slip in service standards etc

thoughts?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:04 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
@FlyingDoctorwu posted that they were going to Twin Farms this month.
I've only heard nice things, but it is laid back, warm, thoughtful Vermont service.... nothing ultra-polished.

I've never worked with or known anyone going to The Point
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Utterly enchanted by Twin Farms but our week there was five years ago.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:31 pm

I've been to Twin Farms 4 times in the past ~4 years. The first couple of times really wowed us with the incredible service, the next time was just OK, and the last time had a few mishaps which made me think it's just far too overpriced to warrant returning anytime soon.

In my mind, the two main things to consider are:
  • Length of stay: One really needs to stay for 3+ nights to be able to appreciate the detailed service and personalized touches.
  • F&B: One has to be OK with their no-menu concept. While I thought the food faired from OK to excellent, and they did their best to accommodate dietary restrictions, personally I found myself wanting for a menu each time. For example if you had a certain meal the evening before elsewhere and didn't want something similar again, or if you fancied something more simple or more complex, the onus is on you to talk to the chef about that in advance vs just being able to select from a menu. Contrast this with breakfast, where there was both a menu and it was made clear that you could order whatever you'd like.
My last experience involved a short stay where the staff were clearly tired from an event the night before and didn't really want to accommodate any requests. Yes we've all been there before, it just left me with the feeling that it was a nice hotel vs somewhere actually worth the $2.5k+ per night they charged.
FlyingDoctorwu and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
How do Twin Farms or The Point compare with Blackberry Farm in TN?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Member

I have been to neither Blackberry nor Point but am confident in this one difference: children at Blackberry Farm.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:49 am

I believe that there are some family weeks at The Point also.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:14 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We’re lucky enough to have been to all three, though Blackberry Farm was many years ago (when kids were on certain weeks only). Yes, BF now allows kids year round and has an excellent club/program for them. TF allows kids on certain weeks. Not sure about The Point.

Blackberry Farm has grown a lot and is now a much larger operation than the other two. Multiple restaurants (with menus), lots of activities, more rooms. And they are opening a 2nd location with Blackberry Mountain.

I think they are all wonderful. It just depends what you’re looking for.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Ericka; Nov 19, 2018 at 10:20 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:15 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
whoops....duplicate
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one addition at the point is boathouse now open during winter

lake kora booked rooms sep 1 > oct 15, 1st time not exclusive-use
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:01 pm

When we were at The Point, the Boathouse was the most requested cabin. I think the most expensive also.
When I compare Lake Kora, Twin Fams and The Point, I find the rooms at The Point the most visually appealing. I am into detail, and love the juxtaposition of the colors, fabrics and trimmings. One of the reasons I loved the cabins at Brush Creek and Magee Homestead. I’m not into activity, and love to look, observe, and eavesdrop!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We stayed at both Twin Farms and Blackberry all in one year... granted it was a little over 4 years ago but for us Twin Farms was heads and tails a better luxury experience. It's intimate, felt unique and truly special. BBF was nice and the food was better, but not by that wide a margin. BBF also nickel and dimes you for everything. There are supplements on the menu, and all the activities are extra and they're not cheap. It's a beautiful resort in a beautiful part of the country, but I don't think it compares to TF. Completely different experience.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by cjthekid; Nov 19, 2018 at 3:18 pm Reason: content
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:54 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by cjthekid
We stayed at both Twin Farms and Blackberry all in one year... granted it was a little over 4 years ago but for us Twin Farms was heads and tails a better luxury experience. It's intimate, felt unique and truly special. BBF was nice and the food was better, but not by that wide a margin. BBF also nickel and dimes you for everything. There are supplements on the menu, and all the activities are extra and they're not cheap. It's a beautiful resort in a beautiful part of the country, but I don't think it compares to TF. Completely different experience.
I did not think Blackberry and Twin Farms were even in the same league with Twin Farms being a superior experience even with the higher price tag. Service at BBF just wasn't there. Way too many clueless staff, especially in the restaurants. I felt like at TF staff were the best you would find anywhere in the states, remembering all my preferences, and doing things like going into town to get me something they didn't have.

I actually enjoyed the "no menu" for the food or wine, I am not picky and I like being surprised, although some might not be into that.

Both beautiful properties.

My stay at TF was about two years ago and BBF last summer.

The question was also about The Point and cannot say I have made it up there yet. The "black tie" and "jacket required" for dinner turn me off and make it seem like it would be a stuffy place where hobnobbers from the city go to get away, which is not my style.
KatW and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by A4K; Nov 19, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Apparently there has been some relaxation of some of the more formal aspects of The Point as well as some workarounds. Yet I cherish the open and informal aspects of Twin Farms.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by LinLant
I believe that there are some family weeks at The Point also.
Indeed there are but they are few.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.