Anything new in Stockholm?

Old Nov 18, 18, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Anything new in Stockholm?

I've booked The Grand for an upcoming stay, but i've never cared for that hotel. Anything new open recently?
Old Nov 18, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Not if you want to go luxury. Most new hotels in Stockholm go hip and trendy, with good bars. The food scene in Stockholm is very good nowadays. Do your best to get a reservation at Frantzén - easily top 10 world.
Old Nov 18, 18, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lambi View Post
Not if you want to go luxury. Most new hotels in Stockholm go hip and trendy, with good bars. The food scene in Stockholm is very good nowadays. Do your best to get a reservation at Frantzén - easily top 10 world.
+1 to Frantzén, it's spectacular. While not in my top 10 worldwide, it's a memorable experience, and more than deserving of its 3 Michelin stars.

As for hotels in Stockholm, there aren't any spectacular luxury properties (which is pattern across Scandinavia, unfortunately), and The Grand Hôtel is the best there is. Why FS/StR/RC/MO/PH or really any other luxury brand have yet to open any properties in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Oslo, Bergen, Copenhagen or Helsinki (yes, I'm aware Finland isn't in Scandinavia) is beyond me, but that's a discussion for a different thread.
Old Nov 18, 18, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
The Grand is awful. The Lydmar next door is a better choice. There are some interesting places - like At Six - which are not ultra luxury.

If you are looking at other Nordics, there is the Thief in Oslo and D'Angleterre or Nimb in Copenhagen which are at the high end. D'Angleterre is probably the best in the region.
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Anthing other than Frantzén you would recommend? I am in Stockholm this week and they are booked up very far in advance.
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:36 pm

Looked into Ett Hem?
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by ridefar View Post

Anthing other than Frantzén you would recommend? I am in Stockholm this week and they are booked up very far in advance.
Mathias Dahlgren's Matbaren is walk-in for counter dining, Oaxen is really good (and you can get lucky with bookings), Aloë is good, but the location is very off. Operakällaren is decent for 3-course a la carte and a very beautiful venue, but isn't as good foodwise as the other options i mentioned.
Old Nov 19, 18, 4:58 am

The Royal Viking was my goto hotel when I was commuting to Stockholm but that was a long, long time ago. Never did like the Grand or the Sheraton which were the other two options at the time. I notice that the Royal Viking is now a Radisson Blu hotel so no idea what it's like now but back in the day it was a very comfortable hotel with good service.
Old Nov 19, 18, 5:32 am

I’d also chime in for Oaxen Krog. One of our best meals a couple of years ago, and that includes a slew of SP “World’s Best”. They really nailed the service and “customer happiness” side as well.
Old Nov 19, 18, 5:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
I’d also chime in for Oaxen Krog. One of our best meals a couple of years ago, and that includes a slew of SP “World’s Best”. They really nailed the service and “customer happiness” side as well.
Or Gastrologik.

Forgot Ett Hem - haven't stayed there though.
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:49 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lussac View Post
The Royal Viking was my goto hotel when I was commuting to Stockholm but that was a long, long time ago. Never did like the Grand or the Sheraton which were the other two options at the time. I notice that the Royal Viking is now a Radisson Blu hotel so no idea what it's like now but back in the day it was a very comfortable hotel with good service.
Tiny rooms and ordinary service way back then, in my experience. It's not going to be any better as a Blu.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:40 am

Yes, I think the rooms were quite small but can't really remember much detail, I do remember the sauna/pool in the basement though that I thought was quite good and as we were a few lads together didn't spend much time in the room but used the spa a lot and then walked over to the Old Town to eat and drink (by a long time ago I mean 1985-1988).
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:03 am

The options for this forum would be: Grand, Lydmar, Diplomat, Ett Hem, Nobis, At Six. Grand is the only true luxury option followed by Lydmar and Diplomat. Nobis and At Six feel more 4-star. I've heard good things about Ett Hem, but I've never been. What's important to you? Location? F&B? Service? Room size? Design?
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grumbler View Post
The Grand is awful. The Lydmar next door is a better choice. There are some interesting places - like At Six - which are not ultra luxury.

If you are looking at other Nordics, there is the Thief in Oslo and D'Angleterre or Nimb in Copenhagen which are at the high end. D'Angleterre is probably the best in the region.
I havent stayed at the D'Angleterre since 2005, pre-reno but it was very tired then. I didn't like the location of The Theif. My favorite in that region is the Hotel Kamp in Helsinki. I guess i'll stick with The Grand and cross my fingers for a LHW upgrade to a slightly less tiny and dark room.
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:47 am
Original Poster

The options for this forum would be: Grand, Lydmar, Diplomat, Ett Hem, Nobis, At Six. Grand is the only true luxury option followed by Lydmar and Diplomat. Nobis and At Six feel more 4-star. I've heard good things about Ett Hem, but I've never been. What's important to you? Location? F&B? Service? Room size? Design?
Location primarily. I have stayed in Sodermalm at the Hotel Rival a few times. It's OK as well, but I'd rather be in Ostermalm. As I recall there's a (2 Michelin *) restau in The Grand that's nice. They have a pleasant enough bar as well. I would like the rooms to be larger and brighter. Not going to spend enough time in the hotel itself to care about the F&B or service really. I'd like a large, bright room and a nice bathroom with a deep bath tub.

Search this Thread