Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??

first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??

Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I am not saying that I don't like Crete - I do. I struggle, however, to find really good hotels there. Can you detail the names of these "lovely hotels and restaurants in small villages and towns"? I am intrigued.
I could and I will.... but we are flying out of Mexico today with the ashes of a dear friend who died suddenly while visiting us ( crazy shocking tragic) at our home in San Miguel. While I am afraid that based on your moniker our tastes in hotels may be very different, I'll give it some thought and send on some of our favorites when I get backed and settled.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:22 am

Wink

Originally Posted by david55
I could and I will.... but we are flying out of Mexico today with the ashes of a dear friend who died suddenly while visiting us ( crazy shocking tragic) at our home in San Miguel. While I am afraid that based on your moniker our tastes in hotels may be very different, I'll give it some thought and send on some of our favorites when I get backed and settled.
My moniker is meant to be ironic .....
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:08 am

Indeed. And your taste in hotels is exquisite^
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Great...then maybe some of my recommendations might make you happy and will be worth a try.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:09 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david55
I disagree. Yes parts of Crete are touristy and have fallen victim of the AI craze but get off the central north coast and it is wild and beautiful and historic and full of Cretan charm. Lovely hotels and restaurants abound in small villages and towns..... it is shame to not visit because of one poster's opinion.
Yes- we weren’t expecting to fall in love with Crete but we did- there are lots of charming areas. But we purposely sought out small villages away from the main tourist areas.

We are actually looking forward to returning and exploring further.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Booking a rom at Amanzoe is really special. First I had to fill out a CC authorization for 5 nights, now for 1 more night as I extended my stay. So far they don't send out confirmation...... To be honest it sucks, but I think was discussed before.
FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:39 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Booking a rom at Amanzoe is really special. First I had to fill out a CC authorization for 5 nights, now for 1 more night as I extended my stay. So far they don't send out confirmation...... To be honest it sucks, but I think was discussed before.
Haha, it is a pain, indeed! While there are ways to get around cc forms, this is certainly one way to make the stay memorable
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
QUOTE=offerendum;30863018]
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Haha, it is a pain, indeed! While there are ways to get around cc forms, this is certainly one way to make the stay memorable
Pain indeed
BESVISOR , what are the ways to get around cc forms ?
Facing this nuisance now .. thanks .
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BESVISOR;30863030]Haha, it is a pain, indeed! While there are ways to get around cc forms, this is certainly one way to make the stay memorable [/QUOTE

Pain indeed

Will email them too , have missed some 48 hours time limit trying to figure out ‘ instructions ‘ ..

Thanks BESVISOR for the PM , information , etcetera

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 8, 2019 at 5:08 pm Reason: Tried to edit & became “ double “ post !
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Pain indeed
[/QUOTE]

Aman is making it somewhat of a turn off to book now. My last stay at a comparable luxury property didn't involve paying upfront and signing my life away.
offerendum, FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:31 am

It used to be really easy... short notice email “en route” and everything was taken care of. No pre-authorization, no CC info, no deposit, just a discreet bill at the end of the stay.

Even Amansara waived deposit requirement during peak New Years stay a while ago.

Seems different tune today.
FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:33 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Aventine
Pain indeed
Aman is making it somewhat of a turn off to book now. My last stay at a comparable luxury property didn't involve paying upfront and signing my life away.[/QUOTE]

In remote Greece (or other very remote places?)

My understanding is that part of it is regulations when it's a third party processing the booking (this can be avoided when bookings are made via online platforms) and part of it is to do with remoteness and and again, going back to that earlier discussion on cancellations, modern traveling trends etc.

There's no prepayment for properties such as Aman Tokyo which can sell out a couple of unsold rooms last minute, if necessary.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:37 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Aventine
Pain indeed
Aman is making it somewhat of a turn off to book now. My last stay at a comparable luxury property didn't involve paying upfront and signing my life away.[/QUOTE]

As various Amans begin to require CC forms, I've booked more and more through an industry partner (specifically for TAs). Just need client's cc details and can charge based on that alone (but in accordance with Aman's deposit/payment/cancellation policies), instead of having to complete authorization forms and send I.d. card photos, etc... Then I reach out directly to Aman contacts to handle the rest of the client preferences, upgrades, etc... So clients won't have to be hassled with the forms, will receive the same promotion/experience.
Aventine likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Mar 9, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
To be clear, Aman Venice next month never asked for any form.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:12 pm

For what it’s worth, I’m going through the same decision making process for a October trip and think I’m going to do Astir Palace (if it ever opens; seems like it was supposed to be open a while ago...). But we did Athens (city proper) not too long ago. Feel like I might regret it if we get terrible weather in Mid October and end up wanting to go into the city to have something to do because the beach pool is too cold to even sit at (we’re generally happy to do that without swimming) but we’ll see.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.