Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??

first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??

Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:21 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Lebron2323
We are struggling with a similar question now - what to pair with Zoe.

right now we are thinking of doing Blue Palace on Crete for three days, then Zoe for four, and then the next Four Seasons on Astir peninsula for two days before flying back.

We have a young son (2 yo) so it’s just easier for us to stay in resort type places (eg we much preferred FS Bosphorus in Istanbul vs Sultanahmet), and we’re hoping to find a similar vibe at the new FS.

However, one hiccup on our plans is that we can’t go until Mid October (we’d be at Zoe between the 14 th and 18th of October). Is it crazy to go during this time? It coincides with the Zoe end of year discount (half board included) which seems like a great deal, but I’m wondering if it is nuts to spend the money at a time when the weather might stink. I think last year the deal started October 1, which seems better.

One of the reasons we are thinking about Crete is that it’s farther south; anyone else have recommendations for warmer weather locales at this time in the Greek isles? We just did Santorini so not interested in going back. Dimes of Elounda is another place with pretty good reviews but there are a bunch of reviews about how the pools aren’t warm enough...

Thank you!!

Aside from Blue Palace, another option in Crete you could look into is: Elounda Peninsula ALL SUITE HOTEL
I have no experience with this property but have heard solid reviews from those who've been to Blue Palace and here.

For Zoe, mid-Oct might be noticeably chilly in the evenings and very comfortable during the day (too cold for some to enjoy the pool, though). The promotion's value is compelling, of course. For what it's worth, they will not have shut down their beach club by Oct 18th, yet. So that's a good sign . If this is realistically the only chance (from a timing perspective) for you to visit, then I would personally do it. If you're more flexible the following year then early June and mid-late September would be fantastic and worth skipping on the promotion.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:26 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

We stayed st Amanzoe in early October. The pools were a bit chilly I will admit but the sun was warm. We were able to paddle board every day but didn’t get into the water too much

fdw
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
You can also walk
If I remember they don't make it easy to walk the property from your room down to the water or the roadway.. Weirdly placed gates and poor pathways ....the funicular was the only direct route.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lebron2323
We are struggling with a similar question now - what to pair with Zoe.

right now we are thinking of doing Blue Palace on Crete for three days, then Zoe for four, and then the next Four Seasons on Astir peninsula for two days before flying back.

We have a young son (2 yo) so it’s just easier for us to stay in resort type places (eg we much preferred FS Bosphorus in Istanbul vs Sultanahmet), and we’re hoping to find a similar vibe at the new FS.

However, one hiccup on our plans is that we can’t go until Mid October (we’d be at Zoe between the 14 th and 18th of October). Is it crazy to go during this time? It coincides with the Zoe end of year discount (half board included) which seems like a great deal, but I’m wondering if it is nuts to spend the money at a time when the weather might stink. I think last year the deal started October 1, which seems better.

One of the reasons we are thinking about Crete is that it’s farther south; anyone else have recommendations for warmer weather locales at this time in the Greek isles? We just did Santorini so not interested in going back. Dimes of Elounda is another place with pretty good reviews but there are a bunch of reviews about how the pools aren’t warm enough...

Thank you!!
I've been in Greece in midOctober, both Athens and the islands, and I found the weather to be wonderful both times, although unheated outdoor pools might not be very pleasant especially in the early morning. However, on some islands, things will be starting to close down for the season, so verify that stuff you want to do is open. OTOH, rates are lower, it's easier to get restaurant tables, amd parking becomes easy if you have a rental car. To me, mid to late October is ideal shoulder season, but others might prefer spring.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:17 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We loved our mid October trip to Greece last year- the weather was excellent. (Though we were told we were very lucky and had just missed a cold spell ) Mystique, Blue Palace and Domes of Elounda all agreed to heat our private pool for us at no additional surcharge. At Mystique our small pool was so warm we were comfortable even late at night. We had debated between Blue Palace and Domes and finally settled on Domes, mostly because of Flyertalk recommendations. Our very large pool at Domes (2 BR Villa) was warm enough to swim in during the day but too cool after sunset.

Our pool at Mystique

MikeFromTokyo and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by damon88; Jan 22, 2019 at 12:29 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Aside from Blue Palace, another option in Crete you could look into is: Elounda Peninsula ALL SUITE HOTEL
I have no experience with this property but have heard solid reviews from those who've been to Blue Palace and here.

For Zoe, mid-Oct might be noticeably chilly in the evenings and very comfortable during the day (too cold for some to enjoy the pool, though). The promotion's value is compelling, of course. For what it's worth, they will not have shut down their beach club by Oct 18th, yet. So that's a good sign . If this is realistically the only chance (from a timing perspective) for you to visit, then I would personally do it. If you're more flexible the following year then early June and mid-late September would be fantastic and worth skipping on the promotion.
I have stayed at Elounda Peninsula all-suite hotel and was totally underwhelmed. Like much on Crete, it is package-tour in flavour, but just charges more for the privilege. I much prefer the smaller Elounda Gulf Villas, which is family-owned and has some really spacious pool villas overlooking the bay, and genuinely caring service. Food is good, too.
MikeFromTokyo, mkm4 and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:04 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have stayed at Elounda Peninsula all-suite hotel and was totally underwhelmed. Like much on Crete, it is package-tour in flavour, but just charges more for the privilege. I much prefer the smaller Elounda Gulf Villas, which is family-owned and has some really spacious pool villas overlooking the bay, and genuinely caring service. Food is good, too.
Don't know Crete well at all so this is great to know! Thank you!
Do you think it's even worth visiting as a pairing to Zoe or Katikies Santorini.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Don't know Crete well at all so this is great to know! Thank you!
Do you think it's even worth visiting as a pairing to Zoe or Katikies Santorini.
No, not really. Crete is incredibly touristy these days. Yes, I know that Santorini is, too, but it has retained a certain charm, especially if you stay at Katikies.
mkm4 and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
No, not really. Crete is incredibly touristy these days. Yes, I know that Santorini is, too, but it has retained a certain charm, especially if you stay at Katikies.
Depends what you are looking for. If you are after antique (or even older) sites Crete has a lot to offer. While Knossos is overrun many of the beautiful sites are relative empty.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:46 am

I would just stay as long as possible at Amanzo’e, and combine that with Four Seasons Athens. I would only add another resort if the trip were several weeks long.
scented likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:57 pm

I disagree. Yes parts of Crete are touristy and have fallen victim of the AI craze but get off the central north coast and it is wild and beautiful and historic and full of Cretan charm. Lovely hotels and restaurants abound in small villages and towns..... it is shame to not visit because of one poster's opinion.
SK, damon88 and offerendum like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Four Seasons Athens.
Do you really think it looks too amazing? From what I saw so far I´m not sure it´s worth the visit. And if you wonna visit Athens it´s not an option for me.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Do you really think it looks too amazing? From what I saw so far I´m not sure it´s worth the visit. And if you wonna visit Athens it´s not an option for me.
Too early to tell. I would have preferred a more intimate new build, too — with less rooms. But I think the development is promising and FS’ culture might work very well in Greece. I am certainly looking forward to it, might be a great starting point for Athens with a great leisure factor / urban resort.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by scented

I am certainly looking forward to it, might be a great starting point for Athens with a great leisure factor / urban resort.
But if one is serious about seeing the city of Athens and experiencing its amazing history and energy, the FS is not the place to stay. Despite their " 30 minute shuttle from Athens" offer.....traffic is notorious and I am dubious about that time frame. Athens is meant to be walked and explored from the center out.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by david55
I disagree. Yes parts of Crete are touristy and have fallen victim of the AI craze but get off the central north coast and it is wild and beautiful and historic and full of Cretan charm. Lovely hotels and restaurants abound in small villages and towns..... it is shame to not visit because of one poster's opinion.
I am not saying that I don't like Crete - I do. I struggle, however, to find really good hotels there. Can you detail the names of these "lovely hotels and restaurants in small villages and towns"? I am intrigued.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.