292 / 365 pine room - mar 29 current first available
jun 24-26 , jul , etc - peak >
696 / 870 pine room
720 / 900 garden bungalow
768 / 960 nafsika sea room

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 6, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Without sounding judgmental because I really am curious... why pick a hotel 30 minutes ( so they say...probably more with traffic ) out of the heart of Athens to stay in the suburbs. What kind of tourist are they trying to market to, who with any real interest in what Athens has to offer, would stay in town. Thanks for any insight.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
Without sounding judgmental because I really am curious... why pick a hotel 30 minutes ( so they say...probably more with traffic ) out of the heart of Athens to stay in the suburbs. What kind of tourist are they trying to market to, who with any real interest in what Athens has to offer, would stay in town. Thanks for any insight.
People I could see staying there:
1) People who just hear "Four Seasons" and "Grand Bretagne" and default to the four seasons (I know a decent amount of people who do no research but just go by the brand)
2) People who have heard from others how awful Athens is (not saying true or not, just that this is a common saying I have heard from people who have gone on holiday in the greek islands) and figure that if it is just 30 minutes away, they can do a day tour of the sights with a guide, but then spend the rest of the time at their hotel
3) People who want to be able to do both the beach and sight see without changing hotels
4) People who come from a place where 30 minutes in the car does not sound like a big deal
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if there were islands in area, but seems like may not be

some dont like remoteness and private pools at zoe

prior flag was popular hotel(s) in starwood forum IIRC
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:16 am

People like me who have been going to Athens for decades and don't need to do more sightseeing, and instead of staying at a substandard hotel in the centre of Athens, or even at an airport hotel, would prefer a Four Seasons stay to break the trip on the way to the islands.....
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:50 pm

Is the sister hotel you refer to the King George (next door)? If so, please check to see if they have an outside pool or access to the rooftop pool at the GB.

We were there a few years ago and stayed at the GB because the KG did not have either of the above. We loved taking a dip in the pool during the hot day. We were two nights and ate both dinners right at the hotel on the roof. What a view!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Athens is worth more than one day if you've never been there before. I would probably spend the one night at the beginning at the Grande Bretagne's sister hotel (very different style) and then do multiple nights at the end at Grande Bretagne.

There's also a rather nice resort complex along the coast near the airport, in a town with a long name IIRC starting with V. This is convenient to the airport, not so much in saving time, but in avoiding Athens if you wish. The place used to have a Westin and a Starwood LC (interesting location and pool, but not particularly fancy) but then it deflagged.

What islands interest you? Crete? Rhodes?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
People like me who have been going to Athens for decades and don't need to do more sightseeing, and instead of staying at a substandard hotel in the centre of Athens, or even at an airport hotel, would prefer a Four Seasons stay to break the trip on the way to the islands.....
makes sense. thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
+1 and precisely why I am looking at it.

Flights to/from the US to Greece typically go in/out of ATH so sadly we always need to end or start a trip to Greece in Athens......unless we want to do 2 connections (which we don't). I had considered staying at the hotels when the Astir complex was part of SPG but never did and the reviews were generally good. With a full reno and the FS flag I would assume that staying here on the tail end of a trip we are booking in 2019 is a good option as we are flying EK back from ATH to EWR. We actually got lucky on the way over with one of the few 1 stop connections out of the US to HER via MUC on LH out of JFK.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 20, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

So wanted to get a final thought from all of the experienced Greek travelers out there. We currently have 4 nights booked at Amanzoe in June followed by 4 nights at Oia Epitome in Santorini. Im thinking of changing our plans to Amanzoe- Milos (no plans on a resort yet) for 3 nights- then ferry to Santorini for one full day and night prior to flight back to Athens the next day. Ferry is 2 hours Milos to Santorini. Reason for the change is that were active and Im not totally interested in 4 days at a pool to end our trip. I know there are activities in Santorini but Milos looks more fun to me, just minus the exclusivity part. Too much transfer/travel?

thoughts?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:40 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by scottandtracy
So wanted to get a final thought from all of the experienced Greek travelers out there. We currently have 4 nights booked at Amanzoe in June followed by 4 nights at Oia Epitome in Santorini. I’m thinking of changing our plans to Amanzoe- Milos (no plans on a resort yet) for 3 nights- then ferry to Santorini for one full day and night prior to flight back to Athens the next day. Ferry is 2 hours Milos to Santorini. Reason for the change is that we’re active and I’m not totally interested in 4 days at a pool to end our trip. I know there are activities in Santorini but Milos looks more fun to me, just minus the exclusivity part. Too much transfer/travel?

thoughts?

What about a couple nights in Spetses after Amanzoe at: https://www.poseidonion.com/en/
Island is near by Zoe. If not, then could make sense to go for a day visit while at Amanzoe.

Might go to Amanzoe in June as well and would add on Spetses, if we go.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
What about a couple nights in Spetses after Amanzoe at: https://www.poseidonion.com/en/
Island is near by Zoe. If not, then could make sense to go for a day visit while at Amanzoe.

Might go to Amanzoe in June as well and would add on Spetses, if we go.
We are planning Zoe pre cruise in September & likely a day trip to Spetses unless we should overnight ?? Hope to hear about your trips or anyone else going soon .

Have you been in touch with Paul L ?

We will stay GB before cruise as starts from ATH .
Hope it isn’t hot then !
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:16 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

We are planning Zoe pre cruise in September & likely a day trip to Spetses unless we should overnight ?? Hope to hear about your trips or anyone else going soon .

Have you been in touch with Paul L ?

We will stay GB before cruise as starts from ATH .
Hope it isn’t hot then !

If we end up heading to Zoe, will definitely provide feedback on trip or stay in Spetses.
But just can't decide between Zoe vs. Venice (and other stops in Italy, likely Puglia) after a return visit to Park Hotel Vitznau in mid June.

Worked on a client's upcoming stay at Zoe with Paul's help but honestly haven't had much interactions with him, yet.

I was in Greece the first week of October, the weather was really nice and evenings got a bit chilly so I think your odds of great weather in Sep are fairly high.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:52 am

We are struggling with a similar question now - what to pair with Zoe.

right now we are thinking of doing Blue Palace on Crete for three days, then Zoe for four, and then the next Four Seasons on Astir peninsula for two days before flying back.

We have a young son (2 yo) so its just easier for us to stay in resort type places (eg we much preferred FS Bosphorus in Istanbul vs Sultanahmet), and were hoping to find a similar vibe at the new FS.

However, one hiccup on our plans is that we cant go until Mid October (wed be at Zoe between the 14 th and 18th of October). Is it crazy to go during this time? It coincides with the Zoe end of year discount (half board included) which seems like a great deal, but Im wondering if it is nuts to spend the money at a time when the weather might stink. I think last year the deal started October 1, which seems better.

One of the reasons we are thinking about Crete is that its farther south; anyone else have recommendations for warmer weather locales at this time in the Greek isles? We just did Santorini so not interested in going back. Dimes of Elounda is another place with pretty good reviews but there are a bunch of reviews about how the pools arent warm enough...

Thank you!!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lebron2323
We are struggling with a similar question now - what to pair with Zoe.

right now we are thinking of doing Blue Palace on Crete for three days, then Zoe for four, and then the next Four Seasons on Astir peninsula for two days before flying back.

We have a young son (2 yo) so its just easier for us to stay in resort type places (eg we much preferred FS Bosphorus in Istanbul vs Sultanahmet), and were hoping to find a similar vibe at the new FS.

However, one hiccup on our plans is that we cant go until Mid October (wed be at Zoe between the 14 th and 18th of October). Is it crazy to go during this time? It coincides with the Zoe end of year discount (half board included) which seems like a great deal, but Im wondering if it is nuts to spend the money at a time when the weather might stink. I think last year the deal started October 1, which seems better.

One of the reasons we are thinking about Crete is that its farther south; anyone else have recommendations for warmer weather locales at this time in the Greek isles? We just did Santorini so not interested in going back. Dimes of Elounda is another place with pretty good reviews but there are a bunch of reviews about how the pools arent warm enough...

Thank you!!
Greece ( and Crete) are still lovely in October. You might want to do a search. There was a thread recently about Blue Palace vs. Domes..... and I think Domes was the clear favorite. We have not stayed at Domes but spent 4 nights at the Blue Palace. Found it cold and impersonal and I HATED the funicular that takes you up and down the hillside. So f'ing slow. We are returning to that area this April but have rented a villa above the resort.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I HATED the funicular that takes you up and down the hillside. So f'ing slow.
You can also walk
Musken likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.