Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Top China hotels exposed for alleged unsanitary practices

Top China hotels exposed for alleged unsanitary practices

Reply

Old Nov 15, 18, 5:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Posts: 37
Angry Top China hotels exposed for alleged unsanitary practices

A blogger planted cameras in luxury hotels around China and found serious hygiene problems.

These hotels are definitely not cheap and one would expect a certain level of hygiene. This is just plain disgusting. I will never use a glass in any hotel bathroom again (have always had my suspicions about them to start with).

https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1811155179/
dylanc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 6:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,950
Originally Posted by dylanc View Post
A blogger planted cameras in luxury hotels around China and found serious hygiene problems.

These hotels are definitely not cheap and one would expect a certain level of hygiene. This is just plain disgusting. I will never use a glass in any hotel bathroom again (have always had my suspicions about them to start with).

https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1811155179/
I think there is a thread on this already, pretty sure I posted about it a while ago.

Thanks for the update.
scented is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 6:53 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by scented View Post
I think there is a thread on this already, pretty sure I posted about it a while ago.

Thanks for the update.
Nope you didn't - this is a fresh story only out today.
dylanc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:22 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 26
For anyone curious about the 14 implicated hotels in the full video:

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai
Bulgari Shanghai
Mandarin Oriental Pudong
Four Seasons Shanghai (Pudong?)
PuLi Hotel
Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong

Park Hyatt Beijing
Aman Summer Palace
Peninsula Beijing
Conrad Beijing

Shangri-La Fuzhou
Sheraton Guiyang
Some hotel in Nanjing (?)

Although it sounds like a pervasive issue so the problem probably spreads to most luxury hotels..
bsb10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 8:43 am
  #5  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,381
Originally Posted by bsb10 View Post
For anyone curious about the 14 implicated hotels in the full video:

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai
Bulgari Shanghai
Mandarin Oriental Pudong
Four Seasons Shanghai (Pudong?)
PuLi Hotel
Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong

Park Hyatt Beijing
Aman Summer Palace
Peninsula Beijing
Conrad Beijing

Shangri-La Fuzhou
Sheraton Guiyang
Some hotel in Nanjing (?)

Although it sounds like a pervasive issue so the problem probably spreads to most luxury hotels..
They all use the same outsourced cleaning company?
Aventine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 8:43 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,950
Originally Posted by dylanc View Post
Nope you didn't - this is a fresh story only out today.
Oh yes I did this has been going on for a while now. IIRC started coming up in a different Chinese market and one of the hotel groups involved was Kempinski. Seems now also uncovered in Shanghai which is news indeed.
scented is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 9:27 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Posts: 37
I am talking about a specific video that got released by the media today (read the article in my link). I have gone through your posts and there is no mention of the video i am talking about in that article. Maybe you are talking about another video of when it has happened previously.
dylanc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 18, 9:42 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
hyatt specifically allows all PH and GH to outsource

Originally Posted by bsb10 View Post
Bulgari [ritz carlton] Shanghai
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong

Mandarin Oriental Pudong
Four Seasons
Aman Summer Palace
Peninsula Beijing [76.6% owned by peninsula parent co]
very confusing...

an exposure linked back on jan 6 2018 >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post29300734
pretty sure i saw many more since then
BUT.. current exposure is owned Pen, aman

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 15, 18 at 3:38 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 18, 10:34 pm
  #9  
formerly known as deathscar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Virtuoso | SPG
Posts: 1,759
Originally Posted by scented View Post


Oh yes I did — this has been going on for a while now. IIRC started coming up in a different Chinese market and one of the hotel groups involved was Kempinski. Seems now also uncovered in Shanghai which is news indeed.
Different video - that one named 'lesser' brands to an extent - huge 500/600/800 etc room "luxury" hotels and in lower tier cities. This one's hit the real luxe ones in China and in the big cities, including a few of the boutique hotels.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Nov 16, 18 at 10:46 pm
chinmoylad is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 18, 3:07 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by bsb10 View Post
For anyone curious about the 14 implicated hotels in the full video:

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai
Bulgari Shanghai
Mandarin Oriental Pudong
Four Seasons Shanghai (Pudong?)
PuLi Hotel
Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong

Park Hyatt Beijing
Aman Summer Palace
Peninsula Beijing
Conrad Beijing

Shangri-La Fuzhou
Sheraton Guiyang
Some hotel in Nanjing (?)

Although it sounds like a pervasive issue so the problem probably spreads to most luxury hotels..
where is the source as to this ?
summertime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 18, 7:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 414

The last expose pertains to Harbin, which is a second/third tier city (which doesn't really have any top tier hotel, Shangri-La was the best they had).

This pertains to top tier properties in tier 1 Chinese cities. If these aren't safe, then it's probably reasonable to conclude that none of the properties in China are safe.
Dave510 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 4:47 pm
  #12  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 1,992
Originally Posted by dylanc View Post
I am talking about a specific video that got released by the media today (read the article in my link). I have gone through your posts and there is no mention of the video i am talking about in that article. Maybe you are talking about another video of when it has happened previously.
That's as may be but the issue has been discussed before and scented has posted about the issue.

Last edited by KatW; Nov 23, 18 at 5:07 pm
KatW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:31 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 107
Thought this was a known thing - didn't this practice it hit the news quote some years ago - and not just in China, but worldwide?
passionforhotels is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread