FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Doha: RC or Sharq Village (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1940703-doha-rc-sharq-village.html)

BOStonTravels Nov 15, 2018 5:16 am

Doha: RC or Sharq Village

Sending family with two children less than a year old through Doha and they will be stopping for around 24 hours. I dont want to put them at the FS as I have had really mediocre experiences at the FS Doha, I think its very tired dont like the "resort" style pool areas (more like a shaded lagoon than nice pool (my idea of nice pool in Doha is St. Regis but dont otherwise like that property).

The two RC properties look in better condition. Basically my stepchildren and their babies would be wanting to relax by nice pools/beach area and rest before next flights. Which property seems nicer for staying on property and relaxing by nice baby friendly pools? The appeal of the Sharq Village property is that it also is quite close to the airport but thats not the overall deciding factor if the other RC is much nicer.

Thanks in advance!
BT

Braniff Nov 17, 2018 12:11 pm

The Ritz Carlton without question in my opinion. The Sharq is tired and old. Half the property is closed at any given time, giving it a very empty feeling. I think it is mainly used for low-end conferences. It should not be compared with the FS in any way - although I share your general take on the FS in Doha.

Nizar Nov 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Somewhat related to this thread QR is offering upto 4 complimentary nights in the RC Doha for those who hold a paid ticket and are travelling within a given timeframe.
More info here https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offe...y-in-doha.html

BOStonTravels Nov 18, 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 30439787)
The Ritz Carlton without question in my opinion. The Sharq is tired and old. Half the property is closed at any given time, giving it a very empty feeling. I think it is mainly used for low-end conferences. It should not be compared with the FS in any way - although I share your general take on the FS in Doha.

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful as going by the photos alone (or TripAdvisor) my impression was the Sharq seemed much much nicer both in terms of general ambience as well as pools and beach. I would not have guessed the RC was in fact nicer in these regards so really appreciate the insight!

vuittonsofstyle Nov 23, 2018 10:34 am

If you want to hear and see the planes flying over the resort every few minutes, then Sharq is fo you! It is a frightful place in every way. Conveyor-belt hotelkeeping.

offerendum Nov 26, 2018 9:33 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 30459167)
If you want to hear and see the planes flying over the resort every few minutes, then Sharq is for you!

Perfect for all aviation enthusiasts;)

BOStonTravels Dec 4, 2018 8:08 am

Really appreciated all your input. Can report that for a brief stay the proper RC Doha IMHO is currently the best option in Doha. Lovely newly redone rooms that I prefer to the FS which needs (and is getting) refurbished soon.

orbitmic Dec 11, 2018 8:07 am

Well, I'll be the dissenting note. I much preferred my stays at the Sharq than my stay at the RC. I can completely understand what some people would not like about the Sharq, but it is one of the only hotels in Doha which do not feel like a charmless attempt at recreating a Western hotel with limited service skills (compared to, say, what you can get in Abu Dhabi - I am not expert of the Dubai scene and I know many people on this forum are so I'll let them draw the comparison). The service is not better at the Sharq, but at least the place is different in a kitsch way (but that is arguably by nature the Middle Eastern trademark, so paradoxically "authentic" in a very second degree kind of way, ie not as a pseudo Sheik Palace but as a symptom of what wealthy Middle Easterns think reminds them of what a Sheik palace would have been!!!) and I really like the tiny private beach which is a lot less unpleasantly crowded than what you get at the others in the Diplomatic quarter. I also do like the views you get of the Doha skyline. The Spa is also a lot better at the Sharq IMHO.

Doha is not a place where I have been wowed by the experience of any hotel (though in fairness, they are often also very cheap) so you have to adjust expectations, but to me, once those expectations are indeed adjusted, there isn't much left when you are at the RC or the FS. By contrast, if you are in the right villa, you can at least pretend that the Sharq has a little bit of soul.

scented Dec 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30522729)
Well, I'll be the dissenting note. I much preferred my stays at the Sharq than my stay at the RC. I can completely understand what some people would not like about the Sharq, but it is one of the only hotels in Doha which do not feel like a charmless attempt at recreating a Western hotel with limited service skills (compared to, say, what you can get in Abu Dhabi - I am not expert of the Dubai scene and I know many people on this forum are so I'll let them draw the comparison). The service is not better at the Sharq, but at least the place is different in a kitsch way (but that is arguably by nature the Middle Eastern trademark, so paradoxically "authentic" in a very second degree kind of way, ie not as a pseudo Sheik Palace but as a symptom of what wealthy Middle Easterns think reminds them of what a Sheik palace would have been!!!) and I really like the tiny private beach which is a lot less unpleasantly crowded than what you get at the others in the Diplomatic quarter. I also do like the views you get of the Doha skyline. The Spa is also a lot better at the Sharq IMHO.

Doha is not a place where I have been wowed by the experience of any hotel (though in fairness, they are often also very cheap) so you have to adjust expectations, but to me, once those expectations are indeed adjusted, there isn't much left when you are at the RC or the FS. By contrast, if you are in the right villa, you can at least pretend that the Sharq has a little bit of soul.

I think part of the problem with your perceived and right image of Doha hotels is that the city/country is a shadow of its former self. You should have visited Doha between 2005 and 2012, when it was the place to be. Almost everyone has left since then and what ensued was cost cutting at all of the hotels, including FS.

I am interested how this market will develop, I think it could get a little better in 2019.

In other news, FS had planned to do a large renovation project this year -- it didn't happen. I suspect owners wanted to wait and see. It's been on the cards forever and I wondered if it would actually happen, but apparently things will move ahead around March 2019. Starting with the rooms product and some F&B outlets, and potentially in 2020 the Spa will finally see a renovation. There was also discussion about a new, trendy Bar. They would be well advised to renovate the rooms, especially now that Park Hyatt will open and possibly also MO...

orbitmic Dec 12, 2018 2:41 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30523798)
I think part of the problem with your perceived and right image of Doha hotels is that the city/country is a shadow of its former self. You should have visited Doha between 2005 and 2012, when it was the place to be. Almost everyone has left since then and what ensued was cost cutting at all of the hotels, including FS.

I am interested how this market will develop, I think it could get a little better in 2019.

In other news, FS had planned to do a large renovation project this year -- it didn't happen. I suspect owners wanted to wait and see. It's been on the cards forever and I wondered if it would actually happen, but apparently things will move ahead around March 2019. Starting with the rooms product and some F&B outlets, and potentially in 2020 the Spa will finally see a renovation. There was also discussion about a new, trendy Bar. They would be well advised to renovate the rooms, especially now that Park Hyatt will open and possibly also MO...

Thanks! That's good to know. I have only been coming to Doha/Qatar for the past 2-3 years and indeed, I am sure that a mixture of the blockade and the various projects including the world cup is making everything a bit of an unusual scene! Also, I do think that in many places even food has been suffering from cuts which, in luxury hotels, feels perhaps more noticeable than it might be elsewhere.

BOStonTravels Dec 19, 2018 6:36 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30526255)
Thanks! That's good to know. I have only been coming to Doha/Qatar for the past 2-3 years and indeed, I am sure that a mixture of the blockade and the various projects including the world cup is making everything a bit of an unusual scene! Also, I do think that in many places even food has been suffering from cuts which, in luxury hotels, feels perhaps more noticeable than it might be elsewhere.

Agree with all the points made, its a sad/tough situation as services at hotels in Doha (and QR) have been hard hit in the past couple of years. I really used to prefer it to spending a time in Abu Dhabi but with the understandable cuts given the situation it does not have the same pull. I did see a Conrad is also due to open soon which is a positive thing for Doha.

dcht May 8, 2019 12:35 pm

I'll be in Doha with my wife for a night before heading to the Maldives. Looking for a nice place to stay near the souq waqif and thought the Sharq looked nice. After reading comments here I'm having second thoughts. I have no status with Marriott but thought of using a free night cert at the Sharq. Thought it looked nice and was a decent location. Don't think I'd be interested in heading all the way up to the West Bay area if we're just staying for one night. I haven't stayed at too many fancy hotels so I think even a dated Sharq I'd be impressed with. Looking to get some additional feedback from you all.

Braniff May 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by dcht (Post 31080396)
I'll be in Doha with my wife for a night before heading to the Maldives. Looking for a nice place to stay near the souq waqif and thought the Sharq looked nice. After reading comments here I'm having second thoughts. I have no status with Marriott but thought of using a free night cert at the Sharq. Thought it looked nice and was a decent location. Don't think I'd be interested in heading all the way up to the West Bay area if we're just staying for one night. I haven't stayed at too many fancy hotels so I think even a dated Sharq I'd be impressed with. Looking to get some additional feedback from you all.

Distances are not great in Doha so I would not have that as a determining factor. The former Shangri-La is now a Marriott. The Shangri-La was my favorite hotel there, so I would highly recommend it.