Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Combining Amanpulo with a city

Old Nov 6, 18, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond

We have all but settled on Amanpulo for 4 nights this May to celebrate my wife's birthday + our one year wedding anniversary.

Now trying to figure out where to go first. We want somewhere new for us and which can hold our attention for 3-4 nights. That eliminates Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Hangzhou, Tokyo, and Kyoto, as well as Bangkok and HCMC. Weather eliminates Hanoi and Taipei, as well as much of SE Asia.

That leaves Beijing as the top contender. Weather will be perfect, neither of us have been. The only downside are the flights to Manila. I will power through the crappy red-eye if it is worth it (I'd rather do that than overnight in Manila), but open to other suggestions if it isn't! Beijing seems fascinating and could definitely hold our interest for 4 nights, and the craziness will only add to the enjoyment at Amanpulo.

Seoul was another idea, and the flights work much better timing-wise, but I think Beijing would be more interesting...

Any other ideas? Flying from BOS and want to minimize travel time.

Beijing - we'd probably do the FS or Rosewood based on the Beijing thread.

Last edited by callmedtop; Nov 6, 18 at 7:24 pm
Old Nov 6, 18, 6:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
We have all but settled on Amanpulo for 4 nights this May to celebrate my wife's birthday + our one year wedding anniversary.

Now trying to figure out where to go first. We want somewhere new for us and which can hold our attention for 3-4 nights. That eliminates Shanghai, Hong Kong, Hangzhou, Tokyo, and Kyoto, as well as Bangkok and HCMC. Weather eliminates Hanoi and Taipei, as well as much of SE Asia.

That leaves Beijing as the top contender. Weather will be perfect, neither of us have been. The only downside are the flights to Manila. I will power through the crappy red-eye if it is worth it (I'd rather do that than overnight in Manila), but open to other suggestions if it isn't! Beijing seems fascinating and could definitely hold our interest for 4 nights, and the craziness will only add to the enjoyment at Amanpulo.

Seoul was another idea, and the flights work much better timing-wise, but I think Beijing would be more interesting...

Any other ideas? Flying from BOS and want to minimize travel time.

Beijing - we'd probably do the FS or Rosewood based on the Beijing thread.
I think people find Korea to be an interesting 2-3 day stopover. There's a lot to do, see and eat here.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:10 am

Right off the bat, I've never been to Pulo, so I can't comment from experience. That being said, when I get around to visiting sometime in the next 12-18 months (hopefully), I'll either combine it with Manila, Taipei, or Seoul.

I'm in Hong Kong and Singapore about once a month, and I've been to Shanghai, Tokyo, and Bangkok a half dozen times each, as well as visits to Beijing (x3), Kyoto (x2), HCMC (x1), and Hanoi (x1), so I wouldn't do any of those cities.

I've never been to the Philippines before, so by doing Manila (and likely Cebu) in a trip with Pulo, I'd see the highlights of the country in one focused trip. I've never been to Seoul, and my first time will be in a few months on a layover. If I love it and want to go back, then I'd tack that onto a Philippines trip instead of or in addition to Manila. I've also never been to Taipei, and it seems like a vibrant city, so that's another option. I've heard great things about EVA Air J!
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:56 am

Depends on what you really want to get out of your trip. I agree that Seoul has plenty to do for a few days - not to mention great beauty product shopping if you can figure out what you're buying! - but I'm not convinced that it's more interesting than Beijing. I don't think Manila has enough to offer for four nights.

Assuming you're after a city break to combine with Pulo, then Darwin or Cairns may be of interest and are about the same flying time to PH as Beijing? Or Macau (but not really for four days). What's wrong with Taipei in May? It would be a shorter flight. If you've ruled out SE Asia and have been to most of the other places in the region, then you haven't left yourself that many options, other than regional cities in China. Or elsewhere in the Philippines.
Old Nov 7, 18, 3:40 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by passionforhotels View Post
Depends on what you really want to get out of your trip. I agree that Seoul has plenty to do for a few days - not to mention great beauty product shopping if you can figure out what you're buying! - but I'm not convinced that it's more interesting than Beijing. I don't think Manila has enough to offer for four nights.

Assuming you're after a city break to combine with Pulo, then Darwin or Cairns may be of interest and are about the same flying time to PH as Beijing? Or Macau (but not really for four days). What's wrong with Taipei in May? It would be a shorter flight. If you've ruled out SE Asia and have been to most of the other places in the region, then you haven't left yourself that many options, other than regional cities in China. Or elsewhere in the Philippines.
Hong Kong/Manila flights are actually synched with the Amanpulo flight timings to an extent. Seoul and Tokyo/Osaka also link up fairly well, though not quite as good as Hong Kong does. With Beijing, doing it after Amanpulo may be okay - would never want to rely on a flight departing from Beijing (or Shanghai) on time to make your connecting/Amanpulo flight.

Doing some of the other cities would likely mean an extra stopover (or a very long layover) in Manila or somewhere else.
passionforhotels likes this.
Old Nov 7, 18, 4:15 am

We are flying out to Amanpulo tomorrow after spending 5 days in Beijing. We flew Air China J. For a flight which was just over 4 hrs we had lie flat seats, reasonable entertainment/ food, and good service. I thought it was more then adequate. Only downer was we flew out of Beijing at 6:55pm arrived Manila 11:35pm. I'm not sure what the schedule times are for MNL-PEK.
But as to your question. Yes there is more than enough activities to keep you occupied for 4 days in Beijing. We spent 3 nights in Kyoto prior to Beijing and wished we had stayed an extra night.
Old Nov 7, 18, 11:32 am

I'd pick Seoul. Excellent for food, shopping, and sightseeing - and very much happening right now. I also find it easy to get around, good value, and with down-to-earth + quite friendly.
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I suggested Seoul in another forum recently and think it is a very interesting place to visit with a great combination of history and culture, but was also very fun (if you like to drink and eat out late).
One downside is the hotel situation. We stayed at the PH, which was probably our least favorite city PH we have stayed at. Others here recommend the FS, but cannot comment on it directly.
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I think we've settled on Seoul thanks to everyone here. Between people's comments and the very easily flight to Manila in the morning which times well with the 1pm Amanpulo flight, it seems like the best option.

Hotels are a little iffy, as others have alluded to. At this point we might just use points at the JW Dongdaemun rather than waste money/splurge on the FS.

Thanks to all!
Old Nov 7, 18, 8:32 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I am in a somewhat similar situation except we are looking Amanpulo sometime between Jan and March (2020). My first thought was Hanoi, HCMC, or HK. We have not been to any of those places and would have 5 days in addition to our time at Aman.
Old Nov 7, 18, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go View Post
I am in a somewhat similar situation except we are looking Amanpulo sometime between Jan and March (2020). My first thought was Hanoi, HCMC, or HK. We have not been to any of those places and would have 5 days in addition to our time at Aman.
If you've never been to Hong Kong, GO GO GO GO GO! I enjoyed HCMC and Hanoi as much as the next guy, but I absolutely love Hong Kong.
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go View Post
Of those you mentioned, I would go with HK. My love for HK aside, it will also be the easiest logistically given a lot more nonstop flights than from Vietnam. Also, not sure there is enough to do for 5 days in SGN - hanoi you could spend 1 or 2 nights on a boat in Ha Long bay if that interests you. But if you haven't been, and you like big cities, HK is great.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post

Hotels are a little iffy, as others have alluded to. At this point we might just use points at the JW Dongdaemun rather than waste money/splurge on the FS.
Consider the Ryse in Hongdae - Marriott brand, brand new, very good, and fun/great location in my view.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Consider the Ryse in Hongdae - Marriott brand, brand new, very good, and fun/great location in my view.
I like the JW for the gym/spa facilities alone.
Old Nov 8, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I'd pick Beijing. There is easily enough to do there for four nights (three full days). Hike the Great Wall (one day), Summer Palace (half day), Forbidden City (half day), Temple of Heaven (couple of hours), cycle around the hutongs/old Beijing (half day), 798 zone (half day/evening). Beijing is my favourite city in Asia after Tokyo. That said, I detest all Asian cities falling below Taipei (except Bangkok perhaps) so make of that what you will.

Search this Thread