Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations Yucatan, Mexico: Merida and Tulum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Recommendations Yucatan, Mexico: Merida and Tulum

Any tips for luxury or great boutique hotels in Merida and Tulum would be highly appreciated. Planning a trip for Easter 2019. To adults plus our 15 year old son.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Member

With Merida, you must decide whether in town or not. I have heard very good things about this hacienda 20 minutes out of town but have not stayed.
The hacienda - Hacienda Xcanatun - Merida - Mexico
Virtuoso property

In and around Tulum settle for nothing but beachfront. We have been but not stayed. Utterly gorgeous. Hope you will post reviews. Buen viaje!

Last edited by KatW; Nov 6, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Look forward to your reports and other suggestions. I’m considering the Yucatán for a Jan 2020 bday trip.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:05 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Would highly appreciate more hotel tips, especially for Tulum. It`s a jungle out there and so many look the same but surely they are not??
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:55 am

Many of the better Tulum boutique hotels are adult-only and frankly sub-par. You would be better to stay somewhere bigger in Riviera Maya - Roswood Mayakoba has some great suites, especilly those on the lagoon.
NYCMom likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Member

Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:26 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Does anyone have any info on the status of the new St Regis Kanai project in Quintano Roo? It was supposed to open in Dec 2018 but haven’t seen or heard a peep. I have my doubts...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:08 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Chablé in the Yucatan should be looked at.... they also just opened in Maroma area.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

If you don't mind slumming it, Tulum is worth a night or two and could be the highlight of the trip. Combine it with Coba. Ana y Jose is nothing special but the location is great and the rooms (beds) are comfortable. Has a pool and so-so food - but for food there are many great/fun options outside. The beach restaurant next to Ana y Jose is very good.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:57 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Might not suit many people here but Coqui Coqui have some cute, boutique-style properties dotted around Yucatan (e.g. the Valladolid property makes a nice one night stopover between Merida and the coast to see Chichen Itza). They used to have a Tulum one, but closed it down. In any case, their perfumes are great and I'd at least include a stop at one of their perfumeries to pick up a scent.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Fish therapy? Afraid to ask.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KatW
Fish therapy? Afraid to ask.
Indeed...
https://www.dovemed.com/healthy-livi...-beauty-trend/

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by scubadu
Thank you. Excerpted from that linked article:

"What Are the Risks Associated With Fish Therapy?

To date, over 10 states in the United States have banned fish pedicures, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There are varying reasons for such bans including unhygienic conditions that do not involve sanitization, increased infection risk, threatened animal and plant life, animal cruelty, etc. Although fish therapy is widely banned in the United States, the United Kingdom still offers the service legally; however, there is an advisory against it. Despite this advisory, the UK has seen a rather quick expansion in the number of facilities offering fish pedicures over the past year."
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:59 pm

Last time I was in the area the sargassum seaweed was awful. It can be removed from the beaches but, depending on where it's removed, it continues to draw bugs and smells awful. If you're an ocean swimmer, the sargassum can be deep and wide enough to make that difficult.
Although it's been somewhat seasonal in past years, this year I understand that the sargassum has been pretty consistent in it's intensity.

If I were to stay in the area, I'd probably opt for a little north of Tulum and stay at Esencia on Xpu Ha Beach. That doesn't improve the sargassum, sadly, but when the water is clear the beach is stunning.

I'd be hard pressed to risk the Riviera Maya and much of the Caribbean until I knew the situation had improved.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.9f86bd568f64
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:28 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by welch
Last time I was in the area the sargassum seaweed was awful. It can be removed from the beaches but, depending on where it's removed, it continues to draw bugs and smells awful. If you're an ocean swimmer, the sargassum can be deep and wide enough to make that difficult.
Although it's been somewhat seasonal in past years, this year I understand that the sargassum has been pretty consistent in it's intensity.

If I were to stay in the area, I'd probably opt for a little north of Tulum and stay at Esencia on Xpu Ha Beach. That doesn't improve the sargassum, sadly, but when the water is clear the beach is stunning.

I'd be hard pressed to risk the Riviera Maya and much of the Caribbean until I knew the situation had improved.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.9f86bd568f64

Thanks. Makes me wonder if we should rather go somewhere else..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.