Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

For those considering full face masks, this is cautionary-
https://hawaiioceanproject.com/why-w...snorkel-masks/
jjwMA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by obscure2k
The Ritz Carlton and Kapalua (Montage) do not share the same beach. Those beaches could not be more different. Whereas the Montage sits on a protected, white sand cove and rarely sees any waves and offers excellent snorkeling, the RC Beach is where my kids used to go surfing or ride boogie boards.
Here is the website of Kapalua. Although the website is dated, that beach remains the same. I doubt you will find a more perfect place to teach your son to snorkel.
https://www.kapalua.com
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Here is the website of Kapalua.
This sort of sums up what I feel about Hawaii. It is such a spectacular and beautiful place which American corporations have done their utmost to destroy. Kapalua used to be remote and fairly wild. Now it's got bigger, bigger, bigger and the whole beauty of the location has been buried under a sea of condos, free-form pools, golf courses and general ticky-tacky crap. It's why I will never go back to Hawaii and it's why I'll always go back to French Polynesia because this sort of crass over-development hasn't happened, despite a few eyesores like those rows of OWBs on Bora Bora.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 24, 2018 at 2:54 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
This sort of sums up what I feel about Hawaii. It is such a spectacular and beautiful place which American corporations have done their utmost to destroy. Kapalua used to be remote and fairly wild. Now it's got bigger, bigger, bigger and the whole beauty of the location has been buried under a sea of condos, free-form pools, golf courses and general ticky-tacky crap. It's why I will never go back to Hawaii and it's why I'll always go back to French Polynesia because this sort of crass over-development hasn't happened, despite a few eyesores like those rows of OWBs on Bora Bora.
I envy those who were able to experience places before this development, just as we discussed re the Maldives. Also, prices in many of these places used to be far more reasonable. Even adjusting for inflation, in the past couple of decades demand has driven rates to stratospheric levels in many top destinations.

What is your favorite resort in French Polynesia?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:48 am

What you are describing sounds more like Wailea or Kaanapali. The beach at Kapalua remains unchanged. The sand feels like powdered sugar and the ocean is usually as calm as a swimming pool, so perfect for snorkeling. Although the area now includes more condos, it does not detract from the flora and fauna and the smell of the fresh air and Plumerias. Nothing new about the golf courses. They have been there for years. The OP asked about traveling with her 7 year old. In addition to the snorkeling at Kapalua Beach, there are other attractions which would appeal to a child, e.g. Haleakala, Iao Needle and even flying in to that tiny Kapalua airport. It's a beautiful flight and so close to the hotel.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:27 am

We took our son all over the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Mexico since he was an infant. He started snorkeling at 4yo but didn't really "get it" until he was 6-7yo.

The VI (US and British) does not have the type of luxury described/desired by posters on this forum. However, the islands are beautiful and safe. Caneel would have been perfect for the age of your son (we had several fantastic family trips) but it remains closed.

Oil Nut Bay is very isolated. Virgin Gorda is a very quiet island. There are many very nice from the beach snorkeling areas. Spring Bay offers the opportunity for kids to jump off the boulders. The villas on Mahoe Bay have daily housekeeping and cooks can be hired for a reasonable rate. We rented there several times and the staff always wanted to babysit our son. The reefs along Mahoe would provide ample snorkeling for a beginner.

Provo, Turks & Cacios would be prefer in the summer but reef snorkeling from shore is limited.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The last few posts sound like a perfect summary of why I’ve avoided Hawaii thus far. And yet, here I am.

I’ve been following the Hawaii thread for the last year. These would all be in consideration.
Big Island
- FS Hualalai
- Mauna Kea (manta rays!)
Maui
- Montage
Lanai
- FS
Kauai
- St.R Princeville
- Timbers

Haven’t ruled out Oil Nut Bay, though.

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. Lots to think about.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
The last few posts sound like a perfect summary of why I’ve avoided Hawaii thus far. And yet, here I am.

I’ve been following the Hawaii thread for the last year. These would all be in consideration.
Big Island
- FS Hualalai
- Mauna Kea (manta rays!)
Maui
- Montage
Lanai
- FS
Kauai
- St.R Princeville
- Timbers

Haven’t ruled out Oil Nut Bay, though.

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. Lots to think about.
I think Hualalai in particular would be an excellent choice with King’s Pond, and the Four Seasons children’s programs etc...

While St. Regis Princeville does certainly have amazing views, friends of mine - who are normally St.Regis fans and have platinum status with Marriott/Starwood - avoid it because the hotel itself is a very large property and not very attractive. It’s a big box, “luxury” mass market property. They do, however, love Kauai and regularly visit other resorts there.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
What is your favorite resort in French Polynesia?

MikeFromTokyo asked me this and the answer isn't simple. I have favourite islands rather than hotels. However, I have a rather sinister history of closing hotels in which I stay. I stayed a few times at the Hyatt Regency (formerly the Tarara I think) on Tahiti and I loved that, especially the location. That closed down. I've stayed at the Hilton on Tahiti which had the best position of all. That closed down. I stayed a few times at the Hotel Bora Bora and we all know what happened to that and I mourn its loss every day. I stayed at the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort, owned by Orient Express, and that was blown away by a cyclone and never re-opened. Finally, I stayed at a Sofitel on Huahine - a gorgeous location, a lousy hotel and it closed down.

So I like Tahiti itself, Bora Bora and Huahine. These days I would opt for a simple business hotel in downtown Papeete or maybe the Pearl up on Matavai Bay. I loathe the Inter-Continental. On Bora Bora I would only opt for the Pearl which has the absolute classic view and it's on its own motu. The FS, St Regis etc are on the other side of the lagoon all in a deadly row like a honeymoon battery farm. I've never found a hotel I like on Moorea - the Hilton seems to get most people's vote but I find it claustrophobic. Nice snorkelling though. The Sofitel Moorea was OK until they built the OWBs. I much prefer Huahine and might try it out again later this year - there are a couple of nice looking three-star options, especially the Maitai Lapita which is on the site of the old Bali Hai. Finally the Tuamotus - I like these atolls more than the high islands and would return to Rangiroa or Tikehau in a heartbeat. I've yet to show up at The Brando - I'll pay that sort of money for an expedition cruise but not for a hotel like that and while it certainly has its appealing aspects I think I'd feel uncomfortable with the crowd there. And they with me.

FlyerEC and MikeFromTokyo like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 25, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:30 pm

The FS, St Regis etc are on the other side of the lagoon all in a deadly row like a honeymoon battery farm. [/LEFT]
I really love StR Bora Bora. I find the staff attentive and helpful, something that has been consistent for all of my stays. The location is great, and the overwater villas are spacious and well designed. Jean Georges is fabulous, and undoubtedly the best restaurant in the country. Definitely less keen on the FS though.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Sort of puzzled by the responses here, so I ask the OP:

- Does the snorkeling have to be good or does a 7-year old not care?
- Can I get you to consider removing the SA requirement?

The best snorkeling I've done, by a wide margin, was just off my beach shack at Hotel Bora Bora. That sadly is not an option. I, as with many others here, mourn that this hotel has closed for good. That was a bad day when I heard the news. I think you should consider Bora Bora. The lagoon has the best snorkeling I've ever seen.

Confused by the accolades given to Kings Pond at FS Hualalai. I must have missed something. I find it cold and uninteresting. I never make it a point to try it when I visit. And the beaches at FS Hualalai are not swimmable. The turtles are interesting, but that gets old after a few minutes.

Second best snorkeling was at Lizard Island, but that might be too pricey. I wonder if anything at Cozumel meets your requirements.
KatW likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Sort of puzzled by the responses here, so I ask the OP:

- Does the snorkeling have to be good or does a 7-year old not care?
- Can I get you to consider removing the SA requirement?

The best snorkeling I've done, by a wide margin, was just off my beach shack at Hotel Bora Bora. That sadly is not an option. I, as with many others here, mourn that this hotel has closed for good. That was a bad day when I heard the news. I think you should consider Bora Bora. The lagoon has the best snorkeling I've ever seen.

Confused by the accolades given to Kings Pond at FS Hualalai. I must have missed something. I find it cold and uninteresting. I never make it a point to try it when I visit. And the beaches at FS Hualalai are not swimmable. The turtles are interesting, but that gets old after a few minutes.

Second best snorkeling was at Lizard Island, but that might be too pricey. I wonder if anything at Cozumel meets your requirements.
I agree completely with mike_la_jolla. My kids learned to snorkel at Hotel Bora Bora and the lagoon was majestic and the Motus were devoid of other hotels. No secret here that I am not a fan of the FS Hualalai for all the reasons you stated. In Hawaii a beach is a must; not a tiny beach but a long stretch of sand conducive to walks and calm waters most of the year. I also snorkeled at Lizard Island and agree it was wonderful. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is a good option in the summer. Water will be calm enough for snorkeling, beach is long and beautiful, the little boy will love his breakfasts and engaging with the parrots just outside the dining room. Some complain about the pool at the MKB. I could care less about a pool, for me it is all about the beach. I recommend getting a first floor BeachFront suite. He can run out on the grass and play . Those are the accommodations best suited for young children. My preference is for Ocean Front Main Building, but I no longer have little ones. Kids love watching the Mantas put on a show every night.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

So sad to hear everyone talking about Hotel Bora Bora. We honeymooned in one of those “beach shacks”. We woke up very early in the morning, walked right out the door and into the water with our snorkel gear. The colorful little fishes swam at us from all directions....they were very well fed and so friendly. That’s exactly the kind of experience I’d like to share with my son.

So, I just did a search for 3 business class tickets to Bora Bora. $6500-$7500 each. That puts us at about $20,000 in tickets. We can’t justify that when we have enough miles to go anywhere else in the world.

We’ll have to think about this a great deal. Rethink what’s most important. The Star Alliance component is a must, however. (unless we end up somewhere closer to home).

Thanks again, everyone.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:07 pm

Given the ease of getting to Hawaii on United, and that you still have yet to go there, it seems like a perfect opportunity to try it. Snorkeling does not have to be Planet Earth level to be enjoyable for a seven year old. And wherever you go, he can learn how to snorkel for future trips to the Maldives, French Polynesia, North Island, etc...

For future trips, it is relatively easy to get Air France or Air Tahiti Nui award tickets if you have the right miles. AA miles work on Tahiti Nui, and AF/Sky Team on air france. These miles are also attainable through credit card spend, including Amex Membership Rewards. Also, if you do any stays at point earning hotels, those points can often be converted to miles.

Since you have already plenty of UA miles, if you know there will be a trip to Bora Bora coming up, it might be a good idea to accrue miles for that purpose. Just in case you do not feel like dropping $20k on airline tickets. Also, be sure to check for discounted fares for children, as you know they can be significantly lower than regular adult fares.
Ericka likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 25, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

And IF we end up in Hawaii, we can probably set aside the notion of walking out the door to spectacular snorkeling. I’m sure there are nice little snorkel spots we can drive to. Thank you, great concierge.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.