Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Resort for First Time Snorkeler

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DSI
We looked at Cheemaun Beach Villa (it's an Airbnb)
airbnb acts like OTA for hotels... (or in this case, owner of oil nut)

oil nut is a real estate community with resort areas, not a hotel

to clarify - aman/FS/etc corporate HQ loaded inventory onto airbnb.
zero to do with finding homeowner offering rental (including at hotel)

guana island likely best beaches, 21 bedrooms, not sure re snorkeling
Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
we visited Guana in 2015. It was our best vacation ever, by far - hoping it can be topped by [amanpulo] We loved everything about the place

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by DSI
The VI has spectacular snorkeling. You missed that? tisk tisk.
No, I didn't miss that. Little Dix Bay was one of my all-time favourite hotels but I didn't think the snorkelling was worth getting wet for. Caneel ditto, loved the hotel and one of the beaches had lovely turtles swimming with you but no really good snorkelling.

My very best snorkelling experiences have often been from expedition cruise ships - Ducie Island in the Pitcairn group; deserted islands around Flores and Komodo in Indonesia; islands east of Lombok; most of all, the Morovo Lagoon in the Solomon Islands. None of these places have hotels remotely close by.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
Our first choice would have been Tahiti. We honeymooned at Hotel Bora Bora nearly 19 years ago! Some other time for sure.
Would paid tickets on Air France or Tahiti Nui be an option?

Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:55 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by Pausanias
No, I didn't miss that. Little Dix Bay was one of my all-time favourite hotels but I didn't think the snorkelling was worth getting wet for. Caneel ditto, loved the hotel and one of the beaches had lovely turtles swimming with you but no really good snorkelling.

My very best snorkelling experiences have often been from expedition cruise ships - Ducie Island in the Pitcairn group; deserted islands around Flores and Komodo in Indonesia; islands east of Lombok; most of all, the Morovo Lagoon in the Solomon Islands. None of these places have hotels remotely close by.
those sound fantastic. I’ve never been to little dix and it may not be very good. I guess I was thinking about Norman or watermelon cay in the vi.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Would paid tickets on Air France or Tahiti Nui be an option?

Not this year. But I imagine we’ll do it in the future. UA may also decide to go year round with their flights.
We just have so many *A miles that it seems foolish not to use them.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DSI
I never heard of Oil Nut, but it looks pretty cool and Virgin Gorda is spectacular. In the BVI, I'd suggest island hopping to different areas for some of the trip.

We may very well end up having a meal or hanging out at the resort for a meal or a day.
Did you know that Cheemaun is an Oil Nut property?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
Not this year. But I imagine we’ll do it in the future. UA may also decide to go year round with their flights.
We just have so many *A miles that it seems foolish not to use them.
That makes sense. It is silly that UA does not operate that flight at the best time of year for Tahiti. I envy your abundance of Star Alliance miles, by the way

Four Seasons Seychelles is another idea that comes to mind.

Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

That makes sense. It is silly that UA does not operate that flight at the best time of year for Tahiti. I envy your abundance of Star Alliance miles, by the way

Four Seasons Seychelles is another idea that comes to mind.

I see no reason why a parent should take a 7 year old to the Seychelles in order to do some snorkeling. I have been to the Seychelles and don't remember being dazzled by the snorkeling. I'm circling back to the OP's initial thought, that a trip to Hawaii is easy to get to, beautiful and snorkeling can be excellent. Consider Montage over on Maui. We had a home on that property at Kapalua Bay Villas and the beach is beautiful, in a protected cove and there is abundant sea life. I have never stayed at the Montage, but the Bay Villas are beautiful and something to consider. I think this is a great solution. (IMHO). It can be windy on that side of the Maui, but in Summer that should not be an issue.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I see no reason why a parent should take a 7 year old to the Seychelles in order to do some snorkeling. I have been to the Seychelles and don't remember being dazzled by the snorkeling. I'm circling back to the OP's initial thought, that a trip to Hawaii is easy to get to, beautiful and snorkeling can be excellent. Consider Montage over on Maui. We had a home on that property at Kapalua Bay Villas and the beach is beautiful, in a protected cove and there is abundant sea life. I have never stayed at the Montage, but the Bay Villas are beautiful and something to consider. I think this is a great solution. (IMHO). It can be windy on that side of the Maui, but in Summer that should not be an issue.
Of course, Hawaii is an excellent idea and easy to get to on UA.

My suggestion of Seychelles was based on the assumption that snorkeling was not the only objective. It also is a fantastic resort and very family friendly as it is Four Seasons. Star Alliance accessible, and not too much rain at that time.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:55 pm

Wherever you go, make sure you purchase one of those full face snorkel masks. I had never snorkeled before but when we went to the Galapagos we met a couple who had the full face mask. Hubby had the regular, and had lots of problems with it. He is near sighted and couldn’t use the regular mask and glasses. I had never gone snorkeling and guide suggested I not go.
So before we went to the Maldives last January we bought two full face masks. What a pleasure! We could both wear our contact lenses and could finally see all the fish. I do have medium length hair that did get in the way abit, and had to adjust my mask. I was in such a hurry that I wasn’t careful. But the full face mask is the way to go!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

We’ve been to the FS Seychelles on Mahe. It wasn’t the best time...cloudy, bit of rain...which didn’t make the snorkeling very good. I like to see the colors in the coral and fish. But it was a lovely resort. I’d love to try the new FS Desroches island sometime. It certainly does seem like overkill for a 7 year old though, doesn’t it!

I’ve been following the Montage Maui on this forum for a while now. There are some good choices in Hawaii.

The full snorkel face masks sound interesting. Have to look into that! Thanks.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I'm circling back to the OP's initial thought, that a trip to Hawaii is easy to get to, beautiful and snorkeling can be excellent. Consider Montage over on Maui. We had a home on that property at Kapalua Bay Villas and the beach is beautiful, in a protected cove and there is abundant sea life.
I once stayed at the Kapalua Bay Hotel in its first incarnation - this would be around 1980. It was a lovely property. I remember having breakfast every day watching humpbacks not too far off the beach.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

combining a couple hawaii properties seems like a good option, there are hawaii fans here

Kapalua Bay Hotel first incarnation demolished to build RC condos > timbers > montage
ritzcarltonclub.com/ritz-carlton-real-estate-press/2006/2006-09-08-construction-kapalua-west-maui.shtml
while RC kapalua is 1km east of montage and opened in 1992. interesting re past RCs >
bloomberg.com/news/articles/1992-07-05/too-many-rooms-at-the-inn-for-ritz-carlton

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mont...6!2d21.0004269

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 26, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The Ritz Carlton and Kapalua (Montage) do not share the same beach. Those beaches could not be more different. Whereas the Montage sits on a protected, white sand cove and rarely sees any waves and offers excellent snorkeling, the RC Beach is where my kids used to go surfing or ride boogie boards.
Ericka likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by Valveking
FS Hualalai is fantastic for kids and adults. That would be a great choice. The King's Pond would be perfect snorkeling for your 7 year. We love the place.
+1 for Hualalai. We absolutely love the resort and King's Pond would be ideal for a a first time snorkeler. The daily fish feeding is a great time to be in the water. Once your son feels comfortable in King's Pond, a nice next step would be to snorkel in the ocean directly in front of the new ocean relaxation lounge on Kukio Bay. Four Seasons Hualalai also has a guided Ribcraft Boat snorkeling adventure that looks awesome.

We were at FS Lanai in mid-June last year, and we did experience a big swell that would have made it difficult for a 7-year old to enter and exit the ocean. We have also been at FS Lanai when the ocean was calm, and the snorkeling off the beach in Hulopoe Bay is fantastic. The resort also has a snorkeling trip on their catamaran. I bet the boat would find calm and protected water even when there is a swell hitting the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.