St Regis Florence: world class luxury hotel with incredible location and F&B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Florence: world class luxury hotel with incredible location and F&B

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:52 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Originally Posted by Noctilux
Why am I always the contrarian; The Excelsior, 20 meters away is, on the other hand, our favourite Starwood hotel in the world, staff are friendly and extremely accommodating, the balcony suites on the 5th floor have the best view in the city and the hotel feels Italian, its neighbour feels like an American's idea of what an Italian grand hotel should be and therefore feels completely inauthentic.

We have very fond memories of the Excelsior Florence. On our first visit there in 2004 they upgraded us to a gorgeous Duomo View Terrace room - I was only Gold and traveling on points and it sparked an intense devotion to Starwood

(back then the St Regis was The Grand)

For fun here is my original trip report:

Trip Report: Park Tower London, Excelsior Florence & Danieli Venice

But while I have a nostalgic love for the Excelsior, I believe that the StR is a step above. Both are amazing hotels and true jewels in Marriott’s crown.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by damon88; Oct 17, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Wanted to enjoy your pictures (again) but many don´t show to me :-(
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Wanted to enjoy your pictures (again) but many don´t show to me :-(
They show no problem for me. Perhaps your internet speed or connection or browser may be lacking?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin

They show no problem for me. Perhaps your internet speed or connection or browser may be lacking?
Now it works at another PC
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:23 pm

The website lists junior suites as being 35sqm/377sqft-40sqm/430sqft. The pictures of your room look much larger than I would have guessed for a room listed at that size. Is my sense of scale substantially off or is this yet another case of the unreliability of hotel room measurements?

Please say a bit more about the noise level. We're rather sensitive to noise and the street along the Arno can be very noisy at all hours.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Good thing the accommodation was free on points!

Yes, I would not likely pay that kind of premium just to be driven in a Bentley when the same excursion is significantly less expensive with a different vehicle type.
A different vehicle type at that price no kidding: a helicopter!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by richarddd
The website lists junior suites as being 35sqm/377sqft-40sqm/430sqft. The pictures of your room look much larger than I would have guessed for a room listed at that size. Is my sense of scale substantially off or is this yet another case of the unreliability of hotel room measurements?

Please say a bit more about the noise level. We're rather sensitive to noise and the street along the Arno can be very noisy at all hours.
Our room was a the best Arno River Junior Suite in the hotel. I suspect our room was quite a bit bigger than 430 square feet. But I suppose setting expectations for the mean is more appropriate. That’s not unusual in older hotel buildings that can have quite a bit of variability in room sizes and types.

We barely noticed any traffic noise at all, though we did hear a siren once later at night. If you’re super sensitive, I’d request a room off the Arno side or looking into the central courtyard. My mother’s room was off the central courtyard and she said it was extremely quiet.
richarddd and andrewstahl like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Junior Suite was relatively big, would say more than 40 sqm. Noice level from street (city view) was non-existing but many noises from "inside". Heared often the water flowing from upstairs. Had not a great stay over all and would stay at the FS. Also I'm not a fan of the location, Portrait is much more central. My GF said only today: Was not really centrally located.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

My Junior Suite was relatively big, would say more than 40 sqm. Noice level from street (city view) was non-existing but many noises from "inside". Heared often the water flowing from upstairs. Had not a great stay over all and would stay at the FS. Also I'm not a fan of the location, Portrait is much more central. My GF said only today: Was not really centrally located.
Er, the StR was a mere 5-10 min walk of 0.75 km from the Portrait. Both right along the Arno. Calling one more central than the other when they’re so close is quite...surprising.

The FS is a good 30-40 min walk (or 15 min taxi ride with traffic) and obviously not nearly as central as the others. We know: we walked from the StR to the major sites and then all the way to the FS for lunch one day.

We experienced no interior noise in our StR junior suite at all. We slept very well. Nor did my mother experience any noise; she also slept very well, and her room was the on opposite side of the hotel.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The Four Seasons is the best hotel in Florence. I’ve visited the StR. Common areas are great but the rooms were not.

Only problem with the Four Seasons is you need to get a named suite for a room of decent size.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Er, the StR was a mere 5-10 min walk of 0.75 km from the Portrait. Both right along the Arno. Calling one more central than the other when they’re so close is quite...surprising.

The FS is a good 30-40 min walk (or 15 min taxi ride with traffic) and obviously not nearly as central as the others. We know: we walked from the StR to the major sites and then all the way to the FS for lunch one day.

We experienced no interior noise in our StR junior suite at all. We slept very well. Nor did my mother experience any noise; she also slept very well, and her room was the on opposite side of the hotel.
Of course FS is not as central as StR but for me StR location is not as great as others think. It's a 10 minutes walk at least. RF has a very convenient location btw.
When it comes to the Arno I have a very own opinion, I would not pay more than 10€ surcharge per night for the view on the brown river. But I very rarely pay pay for view as it isn't important for me.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:15 am

Just like in A Room with a View, clearly some people value the Arno River views, while others do not. I definitely like river views and like the looks of the Arno view junior suite bhrubin had.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smile

Don´t missunderstand me, the public Areas are very nice and if it only comes to room (and everything is working properly) I would even choose my JS at StR over hte one at FS. Also have nothing against rivers, can´t only see the point to pay for it, especially as in Florence the Arno is not special for me. This said here some pictures from my Junior Suite:

MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Of course FS is not as central as StR but for me StR location is not as great as others think. It's a 10 minutes walk at least. RF has a very convenient location btw.
When it comes to the Arno I have a very own opinion, I would not pay more than 10€ surcharge per night for the view on the brown river. But I very rarely pay pay for view as it isn't important for me.
I think you’ve misunderstood me. I could care less about the river! What I do care about is that most of the things to see and do in Florence are pretty close to that river, and that matters to me—not that seeing a river is a priority!

Also, unlike so many others, I found the public spaces at the FS to be wholly underwhelming and appearing quite dated. The gardens were lovely. The pool are was lovely. And the spa building was a chaotic mess that shocked us.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, unlike so many others, I found the public spaces at the FS to be wholly underwhelming and appearing quite dated. The gardens were lovely. The pool are was lovely. And the spa building was a chaotic mess that shocked us.
Public spaces are difficult. I prefer the FS but StR is also very nice. Only down regarding hardware at StR is the restaurant which isn't the right place for fine dining imo.

I'm not interested in SPA but my Ex-wife was very satisfied at FS.

Last edited by offerendum; Apr 21, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.