St Regis Florence: world class luxury hotel with incredible location and F&B

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Public spaces are difficult. I prefer the FS but StR is also very nice. Only down regarding hardware at StR is the restaurant which isn't the right place for fine dining imo.
Well, that tells the tale. I loved that the Winter Garden restaurant is located together with that beautiful open bar/lounge space at the StR: it felt so open and spacious and glorious to us. Even when it was crowded the last night for our final dinner there, it didn't feel crowded at all to us. Different strokes for different folks!

I'm not interested in SPA but my Ex-wife was very satisfied at FS.
I could care less about spa, as well. My husband loves a good spa; he said he was disappointed by the spa at the FS, but he did like it better thsn the treatment rooms at the StR. To each, their own again.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Well, that tells the tale. I loved that the Winter Garden restaurant is located together with that beautiful open bar/lounge space at the StR: it felt so open and spacious and glorious to us. Even when it was crowded the last night for our final dinner there, it didn't feel crowded at all to us. Different strokes for different folks
Indeed. They wrote they expect a jacket. At check-out I told them how laughable this is. I was the only guest clothed properly in the room. Guys in shorts etc. In the room were loud pop music, from time to time played an untalented piano playee together with taped music and in the back stood the equipment for a buffet. Zero style. Food was mediocre at best. I have to mention only one other table at the restaurant was occupied. I had a look at my phone during dinner if the restaurant really has a Michelin star.
Look only at this fish:

Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Indeed. They wrote they expect a jacket. At check-out I told them how laughable this is. I was the only guest clothed properly in the room. Guys in shorts etc.
The dress code officially is smart casual as was relayed to us by the concierge. There never has been a jacket requirement here. I think you were misinformed. (There was no jacket requirement for any of the Michelin restaurants in Florence, actually.
In the room were loud pop music, from time to time played an untalented piano playee together with taped music and in the back stood the equipment for a buffet. Zero style.
We had no loud music playing for either of our two dinners, though we did enjoy piano playing shortly for one dinner and longer for the second; we thought it was lovely.
Food was mediocre at best. I have to mention only one other table at the restaurant was occupied. I had a look at my phone during dinner if the restaurant really has a Michelin star.
Look only at this fish...

We had two dinners here and loved them both. There is a reason they have a star. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but we did the tasting menu on our first night despite not wanting to do anything on arrival because it sounded so darn good--and was. And we did a la carte our last night after canceling another Michelin restaurant so we could dine here again. The food photos in my review tell more of the tale, I think. The fact that we also dined at and loved 3* Enoteca Pinchiorri (without jackets, I might add) also tells something more of the tale, perhaps?

It sounds like you weren't in a positive vibe from the moment you arrived. Is it possible that could have tarnished your view of the experience?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The dress code officially is smart casual as was relayed to us by the concierge. There never has been a jacket requirement here. I think you were misinformed. (There was no jacket requirement for any of the Michelin restaurants in Florence, actually.

We had no loud music playing for either of our two dinners, though we did enjoy piano playing shortly for one dinner and longer for the second; we thought it was lovely.

We had two dinners here and loved them both. There is a reason they have a star. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but we did the tasting menu on our first night despite not wanting to do anything on arrival because it sounded so darn good--and was. And we did a la carte our last night after canceling another Michelin restaurant so we could dine here again. The food photos in my review tell more of the tale, I think. The fact that we also dined at and loved 3* Enoteca Pinchiorri (without jackets, I might add) also tells something more of the tale, perhaps?

It sounds like you weren't in a positive vibe from the moment you arrived. Is it possible that could have tarnished your view of the experience?
Have the information from the website: https://www.marriott.de/hotels/trave...egis-florence/
I don't care much for "dress codes".
As I said bedore we had very different experiences at StR Florence. I absolutely don't doubt you had a perfect stay but mine was far from it. Wish so much it had been different. Beside personal taste (style, kind of restaurant) I haf many other issues. One excample is I hadn't warm water at the suite from time to time or I had to wait over half an hour for my car longer than they told me before. At least I got a temporary room at check-in as my JS wasn't ready due the guest before had late check-out.... The hotel full of convention guests is also something not everyone likes. Breakfast was not really high quality, but better the second day than the first. Funny enough when I came back from the buffet already other people were seated at my table....
Did I mention they asked me in an arrogant way (with my roomkey in hand) if I hold a reservation at Winter Garden? Especially funny if no one else dines there. When I asked the more or less confirmed very few people from outside dine at the restaurant and I think it's with reason. As I said before no course were on star level and the way they asked me at check-out shows me that I wasn't the first person who didn't have a great experience. I had the feeling they know their standards at Winter Garden lacking at the moment.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgot to say as we got our final room we waited nearly 1 hour for our luggage and only got it after 2 reminders.....
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Have the information from the website: https://www.marriott.de/hotels/trave...egis-florence/
I don't care much for "dress codes".

No argument there! Of course, I never trust a Marriott website after the latest IT nightmares and updates. FWIW, I just notified my Ambassador about those errors on the website and asked them to fix them.

As I said bedore we had very different experiences at StR Florence. I absolutely don't doubt you had a perfect stay but mine was far from it. Wish so much it had been different. Beside personal taste (style, kind of restaurant) I haf many other issues. One excample is I hadn't warm water at the suite from time to time or I had to wait over half an hour for my car longer than they told me before. At least I got a temporary room at check-in as my JS wasn't ready due the guest before had late check-out.... The hotel full of convention guests is also something not everyone likes. Breakfast was not really high quality, but better the second day than the first. Funny enough when I came back from the buffet already other people were seated at my table....
There was a conference going on during our stay, too. But it didn't impact our stay like it might have done for yours. Sorry! The worst it did for me was prevent me from getting an ever better upgrade.

Did I mention they asked me in an arrogant way (with my roomkey in hand) if I hold a reservation at Winter Garden? Especially funny if no one else dines there. When I asked the more or less confirmed very few people from outside dine at the restaurant and I think it's with reason. As I said before no course were on star level and the way they asked me at check-out shows me that I wasn't the first person who didn't have a great experience. I had the feeling they know their standards at Winter Garden lacking at the moment.
I feel your pain. However, I couldn't disagree more with you about the restaurant--we loved it. Twice. I don't doubt that you were underwhelmed. But I do believe you might have been tarnished by other factors. When we dined at Winter Garden on our final night (Mon night), there were many people from outside the hotel.

As for not being the first person who didn't love it, the same can be said for almost every 3* restaurant, let alone every 1* restaurant in the world!
Old May 12, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stay April 2019

I already said some words here about my stay, here is the detailed report:
Public spaces
Classic Room (temporary room)
Junior Suite
Breakfast
Winter Garden by Caino
Check-out

As I said bevore my stay was not good. Even if the hotel has potential I think the Four Seasons is on nearly every stage the superior product. Even location is not so much better at St. Regis if you ask me. If you consider like me the Duomo as center of the city Four Seasons is even a little bit closer.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The STR Florence is a disgrace. Four Seasons is definitely superior in every way.

My only issue with the Four Seasons is you need to get a named suite to get any good amount of room. The junior and regular suites are pretty poor value when compared to entry level rooms.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just saw that Wintergarden by Caino lost its star at Michelin. Very justified in my eyes, a meal like mine can't is far from a star and the deduction restores my trust to Michelin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.