Amanfayun Disappointments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
this >

like when some here went to FS corporate, and got great results

are aman beijing and dayan also missing GMs as of recently ?
I've had good results going straight to the top as well.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’m actually surprised that so many are surprised that this property and management are so disappointing.

This Aman, like so many newer Amans, was built on the new Aman “luxury” model to entice high paying guests as cheaply as possible by locating the property in or near an urban environment where they are most often concentrated anyway. They don’t have to provide service to the same level as before because more people come due to their being so much more convenient access. With the convenient demand, the Amans find they can get away with less spectacular service. So the service and recovery slip.

If you think this property is disappointing, let’s just remember Aman Tokyo—the ultimate epicenter of this new model.

Of course, any property in China is going to suffer more service lapses and language challenges than almost anywhere else, China being China. Being Aman doesn’t preclude that set of ubiquitous issues.

This Aman was always about a weekend getaway for wealthy Shanghai residents and those wealthy enough visitors to Shanghai. Nothing more. There’s nothing particularly special about this resort or its location otherwise. The fake camphor trees scandal just goes to reinforce that. I’m sorry that anyone bought into the nonsense of this property. It isn’t a worthy Aman destination and it never will be.

Aman used to create luxury destinations with its out of the way amazing properties. This is a pitiful attempt to confuse people that it’s still doing the same. It isn’t. Now Aman too often is just following the crowd, and its service levels too often are showcasing that in a spectacularly disappointing fashion.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:29 am
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bhrubin, trees = yangyun not fayun

2009 tokyo signed
2010 fayun opened , lijiang first posted here

Originally Posted by 5khours
heard that Tokyo is opening in 2014 followed by Kyoto and Ise.
nemu is ise

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:46 am
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:47 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
bhrubin, trees = yangyun not fayun
Oops, my bad. Thanks Kage!

Still, my premise remains the same, even if I mixed up Fayun and Yangyun. Hangzhou is just a short train ride away from Shanghai, after all. It’s mostly a convenient getaway weekend destination for residents of and visitors to Shanghai—and nothing more. Yangyun is just an even more convenient getaway located even closer to Shanghai than Fayun in Hangzhou. And both have the same clumsy approach to service that is endemic at luxury properties throughout non-global cities in China.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:51 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Despite your mix up, absolutely disagree about "nothing more" re: Hangzhou, and Amanfayun, are worth the trip regardless of service and other issues at the resort. It is a VERY Aman worthy destination, especially where exactly in Hangzhou they're located. Have you been? I'd actually compare the location to Amanjiwo, which I know you love very much. You just have to bear in mind when booking that it's a flawed resort (and STILL preferable to the soulless Four Seasons and Disney-like Banyan Tree) and to manage expectations accordingly.

Agree with you on Amanyangyun which isn't interesting apart from being a nice looking resort near Shanghai - that resort is most certainly created for the Shanghai weekenders and weddings.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

edited above - these were all accepted by zecha
(aman even had equity in some japan properties)

including yangyun which also predates doronin

even re NYC, jean michel gathy did >
aman tribeca concept dated jun 23 2009
57 rooms including 2 duplex, hotel pool
(although presumably no residences)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:23 am
Suspended

I’d replied but some technical web check glitch has made me lose my posts, twice now. So I’m over it. Sorry!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Yeah, you're wrong on this one Bill!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Yeah, you're wrong on this one Bill!
I’m not wrong for me on this one, and that’s all that really counts. I wish everyone else delightful stays here.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoflyer747
it's a real treat to stay in an 800 year old village
OP stay after departure of GM, EAM
prior to their departure >

Originally Posted by callmedtop
mid-December [2017]
Edisson (EAM)...one of the best pre-arrival communication I’ve encountered.
one of the largest welcome amenities I’ve seen

felt as if we went back in time being here, and that was priceless.
truly does feel like being transported into a different world...magical.

Steam House...tasting menu included...absolutely spectacular and completely blew me away...pork and tofu soup called Yan Du Xian...extraordinary and by far the best thing we ate on this trip...service was exceptional

Everything I’ve always considered Aman to represent with regards to service was represented at Amanfayun. From start to finish, we found the service level to be essentially flawless. I was blown away, and can confidently say that this was the best service we’ve received at any Aman property to date, and perhaps any property overall.

Amanfayun is an extremely special property that strongly represents the Aman brand. The setting is stunning and offers visitors a way to travel back in time to a different China. The hard product, given the conversion from a traditional village, is stunning, feeling both authentic and modern at the same time. The service was faultless and the best we’ve encountered at any Aman. The F&B - especially the Chinese offerings – was excellent (Western cuisine was “good”). The spa was an asset of the property. The activities on offer are both interesting and quite varied. We enjoyed most of what we did, and wish we had additional time to do more.

Would we recommend it? Absolutely, unequivocally, yes. To anyone traveling in Shanghai or Hangzhou, this is an essential add-on to your trip for at least two nights (ideally 3). This hotel is superbly run, and although the GM Kent is new to Aman, he is running this ship extremely well.
in aman thread, replying to bhrubin's list of (only) 8 aman >
Originally Posted by Fliar
Good list. I'd add Amanfayun and Amandayan to this list.
(Fliar has been to all but 5 aman, may have forgotten to add venice to that list)
Altocumulus likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.