Reload this Page >

Advice on Aman style alternative in the Caribbean

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Aman style alternative in the Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by moebod
Chable Maroma (seems a bit too remote for my short travel though)
Chablé Maroma is in Riviera Maya, south of Belmond Maroma and 30 minutes from CUN. I believe you are thinking of Chablé Yucatan which is south of Mérida. I have been to the Yucatan property twice and it is truly a special place. I was at Maroma this past weekend pre-opening. Likely will be opening officially sometime in November. Gorgeous beach and feels very different than anything else in the area.

Originally Posted by erik123
The beaches are covered with seaweed at this time and unusable + smell.
I was at Rosewood Mayakoba last week and no seaweed and no smell.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Chablé Maroma is in Riviera Maya, south of Belmond Maroma and 30 minutes from CUN. I believe you are thinking of Chablé Yucatan which is south of Mérida. I have been to the Yucatan property twice and it is truly a special place. I was at Maroma this past weekend pre-opening. Likely will be opening officially sometime in November. Gorgeous beach and feels very different than anything else in the area.

OK, you seem to have been around the block

So luxtrvlwrks, where would you recommend I go for 2-3 days this coming week that will be a smarter and more awesome choice over Amanyara? (budget around yara's base rooms rate)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone heard re nobu ryokan?
noburyokanmalibu.com/accommodations-en.html

chablemaroma.com/accomodations/

'smarter and more awesome' and contemporary and same price = i wish there was (other than non hotel rentals)

Originally Posted by DSI
I’m probably the only one on this forum who’s not wowed by hotel rooms, even though they are often cheaper, so take me with a grain of salt. But expand those horizons... this is a forum about luxury travel not just chain hotels!
i'd take the same super expensive gerbil room at necker again, when low occupancy. some here might love when its fully booked. i like low occupancy at hotels, and room-in-a-villa/island/boat.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 10, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
OK, you seem to have been around the block

So luxtrvlwrks, where would you recommend I go for 2-3 days this coming week that will be a smarter and more awesome choice over Amanyara? (budget around yara's base rooms rate)
Ha, yes, Mexico is an area of specialty. I wanted to make sure you had the best possible information, but I can't otherwise help with your decision. Its a great problem to have and I hope you have a wonderful trip!
ABG likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:09 am

St. Bart's is also a non-stop to SXM + a 15 min hop on a small plane, and you get beautiful beaches and a handful of luxury hotels with clean lines. Cheval Blanc Isle de France is on one of the nicest beaches and has rooms with plunge pools, but it looks like they don't reopen until December. Maybe next time...
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Amanyara

OK all, so in the end I only had three days with travel time (to be able to leave rest of family and work), which means 48 hours being at a resort. Yes I know how stupid that sounds, but for me its better than nothing.

So, I just decided to go back to familiar territory- Amanyara, and I am actually very happy- better safe than sorry.

Its been 5 years since last time i've been there, but was actually even more impressed this time. They were attentive, as good as last time, and beach was nice, resort wasnt too full etc. I had the pleasure to get the Amanyara Pavilion one of the nights which gave us the view and the pool, and then a standard pool Pavilion which wasnt too bad either considering us being at the beach for most of the daytime hours.

So yes, would i consider new places in St Barts or other spots once tested and verified by friendly/trustworthy FT'ers - yes of course. But in the end, an Aman is always a safe solution for me so far

I think we should have some wiki of top luxury beachfront resorts with easy access from the East Coast, but that may be too selfish of me as everyone lives in different parts of the world and have different needs/preferences too...

Thanks all!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:25 am

I think we should have some wiki of top luxury beachfront resorts with easy access from the East Coast, but that may be too selfish of me as everyone lives in different parts of the world and have different needs/preferences too...
Anyone can start a wiki, so go for it! It is a topic that comes up quite frequently, and there could always be other wikis for different regions.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Anyone can start a wiki, so go for it! It is a topic that comes up quite frequently, and there could always be other wikis for different regions.
Cool, but honestly I dont know how to do it, im not that good at these stuff
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
a.

Stayed at Mayakoba this week and though much improved it is still a problem. It heavily depends on currents/wind, etc. They did a good job clearing it at the Fairmont (so not a big issue) but in front of the Banyan Tree it was a real problem. Best check. Flying out I could see islands of the stuff (sargassum) on open sea.

Last edited by erik123; Oct 26, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:24 am

I see references to changes at Amanyara - can someone please elaborate? We were there last winter in a residence and were underwhelmed by management at the time
and overwhelmed by the prices for every little thing, even totally expecting it. Maybe it will improve going forward? Like the OP, we needed a convenient destination for a few
days and there were some crime issues on the island (note, seem to be happening again, with the murder of a tourist and possibly two armed robberies in the last week or so) so the location appealed. It is really easy to settle in to a place like this, so I think it is a good call. I agree on Parrot Cay - getting a bit long in the tooth.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by DSI
Yara is undergoing lots of changes right now. If you are picky, avoid it until there’s at least a manager. Plus, it’s a villa place and it’s frankly silly to book their regular rooms there. I say this as someone who booked one of their regular rooms. It’s like booking the broomstick closet at a four seasons.

The new mo in the grenedines is on my list.

for something high end, besvisor reviewed the enclave in Turks.

The MO is fantastic - we spent two weeks there as it was transitioning to MO last December and it is fantastic - BUT, not a short plane ride - you have to transfer to their jet in Barbados to get to Canouan. Can't recommend it enough though as the service is terrific and you feel like you are on your own private island as the property is huge and you use a golf cart to get around. Love it - PM if you want some more details before you go.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

necker finally has a standalone room, if it has an indoor bathroom, that may appeal to more people here who are not concerned about rates. frankly the rate can be about the same as quite a few including twin farms, the point, amangiri, laucala, etc. look for last minute dates during prime weather months as it is old aman style annual rates without seasonal variation. this room was created during repairs after storm damage. it was originally a spa treatment room. necker continues to add last minute dates, as they did every month in 2017. they have reduced minimum stay from 3 nights to 2, during certain dates. they continue to have adult only weeks, although so far not for the 'last minute' dates. i recommend the last minute dates when there is low occupancy. a few here may like full occupancy atmosphere. whichever, i also recommend talking to staff and chefs about private dining and locations for private dining. perhaps also discussing activities, as motorized watersports and kiteboarding are included in rate. interesting while former is included at laucala and north, the latter is published as extra cost at laucala, presumably for liability reasons and that necker is still usually exclusive use.

room count is smaller than most aman. (and others.) overall style completely antithetical to regular luxury hotels especially luxury chains. bali design influence likely mixed opinions. food was not local flavor, but when chefs from kasbah tamadot are there, moroccan is possible. not sure if chefs have rotated from south africa and kenya as well. at one point branson hired a lot from le manoir.

- Leha Lo aka Leho Lo - 1 room standalone >
virginlimitededition.com/thumbs/necker-island/booking/leha-lo-1922x813.jpg

if indoor bathroom, when no other guest booked in following and one has them to oneself, also good possibilities, for example book Leha Lo then see on arrival if these have no guests in any of them >

- Bali Lo , Bali Buah , Bali Kukila - 3 room pool villa in interior of island, totally and uniquely private

- Love Temple, Temple House - 2 rooms near each other, not available yet, was originally not open to public, not totally private IIRC
LinLant likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:13 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Islas Secas (Panama)

We're contemplating a visit to Islas Secas in Panama.

9 rooms, maximum of 18 guests.

Has anyone been there (or know of someone that's stayed there)?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

curious re their 14 private islands
IIRC photos seem more luxurious vs other new islands

1BR is separate from other 3 ( 2BR 2BR 4BR )
islassecas.com/discover-islas-secas/#resort-map

saw something suggesting 2BR and 4BR book rooms
could book 1BR and switch if 2BR or 4BR are empty
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi All!

Been a while, and I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any new hotel recommendations? Im the OP, and all points remain as per original post, except this time it will be for sometime in January....

(MO Canouan seems nice grounds, and modern enough accommodations, but the need for private jet add on seems to make it less attractive, especially for the wife who hates the travel part)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.