Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand / Maldives Honeymoon 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thailand / Maldives Honeymoon 2019

I hope people can help me! This forum has been incredibly helpful in planning our honeymoon so far. We are going to Thailand for 9 days and the Maldives for three nights. We are in our late 20s so fairly active and dont mind hopping around. I was hoping people could help us out picking our hotels in Thailand (we are already booked in the Maldives). The splurging at any particular city would mean nightly rates of no more than ~$1,250/night . For starters, I will mention I am Platinum Premier for Marriott and Diamond for Hilton.

Bangkok:
- I am inclined to stay at a Marriott or Hilton property given my status. For Marriott, I have been looking at the following properties: JW, St Regis, and The Athenee. For Hilton, I have been looking at the Waldford Astoria or the Millenium Hilton. There doesnt seem to be any HUGE difference between any of these.
- Status aside, I have also heard great things about the Shangri-La given it is right by the water. Rates seem fairly cheap given its a 'luxury' hotel. Any thoughts?
- Should I be worried / considering the traffic and distance to the airport when picking the hotel?

Chiang Mai:
-
No good Marriott or Hilton properties.
- Looking at the FS, Dhara Dhevi, and 137 Pillars. Are there any others we should consider? From a pricing standpoint, they all seem to be fairly similar.
- We understand the FS is outside of town but we dont mind this at all. I think we would actually prefer the location. I have read though that this might be a lower tier FS property.
- The Dhara Dhevi looks beautiful, but maybe too much like a Disney castle? Is it better than the FS property excluding the location?
- Lastly, the 137 seems to be the most beautiful property. I havent found a ton of information on this one.

Koh Samui:
-
Considering the FS, Vana Belle, and Conrad Koh Samui.
- Heavily favoring the Conrad at this point. At ~$600/night, it seems like a better value versus the FS at ~$1,250 with comparable, and arguably better views. The only big downside to this property is the location.
- The FS, location seems ok, its an FS property, and views / rooms look gorgeous. It just seems like the only reason we would really decide to stay here would be to say we were at the FS versus a Hilton property.
- Lastly, the Vana Belle, I've read a lot of mixed reviews. It has the best location but views seem very average and limited recognition to top-tier members.

Thank you in advance!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:06 pm

St. Regis Bangkok
Four Seasons Chiang Mai
Four Seasons Koh Samui

That is an extremely tight schedule. I would need twice the time to visit half as many places. I never stay anywhere for much less than a week.

Enjoy your trip. By the way where are you staying in the Maldives?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:18 pm

I've not been to any of these places, but I'm not going to let that prevent me from giving advice. My wife says that is a fault of mine, but I don't see it that way

I think that MikeFromTokyo is correct. It is might be too much moving around. Don't forget, for the most part, any time you move from one place to the next, it's a lost day. Maybe do Bangkok and one of the other two cities (plus Maldives)? Would you skip Maldives and concentrate on Thailand? If you stayed longer in Bangkok, could you do some day trips?

We're actually going to Bangkok in December and we're staying at the Shangri-La. It is on the river (I suppose that's good) and very near the Mandarin. I believe the Mandarin is nicer, but we couldn't justify the difference in price.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I stayed in the Four Seasons Chiang Mai five years ago and it was excellent then. I recommend the pool villa.
Four Seasons Koh Samui I was at ten years ago so couldn't give accurate advice @chinmoylad was there recently.

For Bangkok, Banyan Tree is lovely and great value for money.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:10 pm

I would do five nights in Bangkok and at least seven nights in the Maldives, saving Chiang Mai and Koh Samui for a future trip. With all of the flights and transfers in the Maldives, you would not have time to do much of anything at all on that itinerary. Simplify, pick two destinations and fully enjoy those places. That’s my advice.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:28 pm

Agreed - A very hectic schedule that leaves little time to enjoy your honeymoon. Maldives would be a minimum of 4 days. unless your only purpose is to tell people you have been and make some selfies. For BKK, stay on the river. The Shangri La is nice but only in the Krung Thep wing - and that is still a big step down from the Oriental or Penn. With you budegt go for the Oriental.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:07 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Having visited the Maldives and Thailand on one trip myself because of easy logistics,

1) stay at a resort with boat access. Don’t waste time on an airplane. Check out como for good value.

2) skip a second beach resort in Thailand. For some contrast, and something we did, fs gt or anatara to save some $.

3) 4, 3, 3 Maldives, Bangkok and up north could work.

4) don’t worry about points or free buffets too much. If it were me in your shoes, I’d say como, some place in bkk for free on points and fs gt (or Ana) m. Doable but delete Samui imo.

Fs Chiang Mai, meh to me. I didn’t care for the hotel at all during our stay

congrats
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:40 pm

I'm not sure you'll really benefit from combining Thai beaches with Maldives beaches. If you're doing the Maldives (for only three nights? By the time you've got to your resort, you've lost a chunk of time then you lose more time on your last day so you're looking at two full days there), then concentrate on another area of Thailand.

As the others have said, you're really rushing around and you have no time to see much of where you are. Suggest too that you choose only two locations in Thailand. I'd go for Bangkook and Chiang Mai, then at least four nights in the Maldives to enjoy the beach.

I'm going to assume you're flying Bangkok airways direct to Male? It gets you into the country at 12 noon, so there's your morning gone.
COEWR2587 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
We did a ROW trip for our honeymoon in February 2018 (Istanbul, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangkok, Shanghai). Relating to your destinations we stayed at:

Maldives - Conrad
Thailand - Millennium Hilton

Conrad - no wonder this has been voted "Best Resort in the World" a few times. Absolute luxury - we loved every minute (both the over-water and beach suites were amazing). The float-plane to the island was pretty awesome (as was the food, service and scuba diving).

Millennium - we liked this hotel because the river boats made it easy to get around a usually congested city during the daytime traffic. At night we used Grab (Thailand's Uber, download the app) to get around since the traffic was more reasonable later in the evening. Our flight arrived at 6:30 AM and we were at the hotel by 7:30-8:00. We hung out at the sky-pool until our room was ready.

Both were excellent and we would stay at them again. The hotels treated us amazing (as Hilton Gold at the time) and we were very happy with our choices.

We did this all in F/J on *A airlines (except MLE to CMB, which was SriLankan Airlines J and the float plane in the Maldives which is 100% Y).

Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon!

Last edited by rjp123; Sep 29, 2018 at 12:02 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:13 am

The more I think about it, the more obvious the answer is: Enjoy Bangkok for five nights or so, on a low standard room rate at St.Regis. Get upgraded, likely to a suite with RBSC view per Platinum Status. Skip all of that unnecessary flying and moving around. Fly PG directly to MLE, and reallocate all remaining budget toward a week++ stay in the Maldives. It’s really a no-brainer.
Aventine and Musken like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The more I think about it, the more obvious the answer is: Enjoy Bangkok for five nights or so, on a low standard room rate at St.Regis. Get upgraded, likely to a suite with RBSC view per Platinum Status. Skip all of that unnecessary flying and moving around. Fly PG directly to MLE, and reallocate all remaining budget toward a week++ stay in the Maldives. It’s really a no-brainer.
This x100. Exploring Thailand outside of Bangkok and combining with the Maldives on that timeframe makes no sense. Splurge in the Maldives.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Best piece of advice on here.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I know you didn't ask for itinerary advice, but this isn't a great plan. You will lose at least 3 of 9 days in Thailand with your current itinerary. This is not a good honeymoon, regardless of how fit or young you are. Trying to see everything in a small amount in time generally results in seeing nothing at all. Thailand isn't going anywhere. I would personally pick Samui over Bangkok, but that is really a city vs. beach destination decision that is up to you guys.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I know you didn't ask for itinerary advice, but this isn't a great plan. You will lose at least 3 of 9 days in Thailand with your current itinerary. This is not a good honeymoon, regardless of how fit or young you are. Trying to see everything in a small amount in time generally results in seeing nothing at all. Thailand isn't going anywhere. I would personally pick Samui over Bangkok, but that is really a city vs. beach destination decision that is up to you guys.
If already doing Maldives, I do not see the point in adding any other destinations. One city stopover in BKK, plus Maldives is the only thing that makes sense. Three days in the Maldives is ridiculously short. One would basically go and turn around after all of the travel time.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
If you do go to Bangkok, at least don't stay at the Millennium Hilton. Was there last summer on a short stop in BKK, and it was a really disappointing experience. Very busy everywhere, from lobby to the club lounge, which seemed to be full of backpackers. There are much nicer properties in Bangkok!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.