In Search of Toto Toilets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Search of Toto Toilets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
We moved to Taiwan over a year ago, and have one in our apartment. First time in my life I've had to use Google Translate to figure out how to operate a commode's control panel, as the buttons are all labeled in Japanese.

They really are great. I smile when I see them in hotels. The Eslite hotel in Taipei has them.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:44 am

You are correct. I meant to type the Grand Hyatt Kauai, not Lana'i. My mistake.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:03 am

I was really confused why there was a thread for Toto toilets, but it seems there's certain models that people are talking about.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Premier Plat (1.2 MM), Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, GE
The Hyatt Regency in Honolulu has Toto Washlets. I suspect many hotels in Hawaii have them because Hawaii is a popular destination for many Japanese tourists.

After many trips to Japan over the years, we finally broke down and bought two Toto Washlets for our home remodel. I love them and wished that I would have bought them years ago.

Last edited by UA Mike; Sep 27, 2018 at 9:42 am Reason: typo correction
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from article i linked >

Toto and its rival Lixil carve up the Japanese market for fancy, multi-function loos between them. At home they have market shares of 60% and 30% respectively

Today 26% of Toto’s and 30% of Lixil’s revenues come from abroad (much of it from products other than shower toilets).

Lixil, formed in 2011 by a merger of five Japanese companies, is buying foreign competitors. In 2013 it acquired American Standard and a year later Grohe, a German bathroom-fittings giant. It sells a high-tech toilet under the Grohe brand...Lixil launched a new Grohe-branded shower toilet worldwide last year which is selling particularly well in Germany. It is designed to look good from the side (Japanese toilets are usually in a separate tiny room, so are seen only from above) and is made from ceramic (in Japan plastic seats are the norm). Aficionados will be glad that other features, such as a remote-control panel with multiple buttons and anatomical diagrams, remain the same.
many US hotels were owned by japanese not just in hawaii, many later sold

could change thread title to washlet etc
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

could change thread title to washlet etc
Would be smart imo.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oddly enough, I'm ok with the header as it is.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they also sell regular toilets, with zero features: i have seen those in a luxury hotel

so not toto toilets but expensive (vs regular) toto toilets

until i saw regular ones, i was only aware of expensive ones (as discussed here in past)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 27, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
So are we talking about washlets/bidets, or Toto brand fixtures? Because Toto is a fairly common brand nowadays, and I see them all over the place including in very non-luxury locations.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I was really confused why there was a thread for Toto toilets, but it seems there's certain models that people are talking about.
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
So are we talking about washlets/bidets, or Toto brand fixtures? Because Toto is a fairly common brand nowadays, and I see them all over the place including in very non-luxury locations.
definitely not regular toilets (and every reply, and all past discussion here) >
Originally Posted by KatW
Is the Toto toilet the new luxury amenity? My first encounter with one such (which was hilarious) was in a signature villa at Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo where I have stayed twice. I currently am, er, flushing with modest delight at my third encounter in a signature Valencia suite at Rancho Valencia near San Diego. Other sightings?
and as noted, if it is an equivalent washlet toilet, brand does not really matter
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jiaotze
Many mid- and high-level hotels in Taipei have the washlets, including the Okura.
Agreed - they seem almost as common in Taipei hotels as Japanese hotels.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:09 am

They are very common in the U.S. too. I've seen them my whole life.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
The restaurant Soba-ya, in New York, has a Toto with all the trimmings in the women’s room. It’s not a fancy joint, but has excellent comfort food.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We first enjoyed Toto washlets in the Diamondhead Suite at the Halekulani in Honolulu in 2008. We almost immediately installed several in our new home.

We just enjoyed them again at all of the hotel in Japan at which we stayed. The best were at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, which had the automated motion sensing open and close and flush functions.

I never knew I needed those until that stay. I missed them the moment we arrived at Suiran and the RC Kyoto, and still again at the StR Osaka. We are in the process of possibly upgrading a few of ours at home now with the same option.

I’ve suggested them as part of the upcoming room/suite renovations at the StR San Francisco. Dare to dream. Enoteca Pinchiorri also had them a few weeks ago while we were dining there in Florence.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We first enjoyed Toto washlets in the Diamondhead Suite at the Halekulani in Honolulu in 2008. We almost immediately installed several in our new home.

We just enjoyed them again at all of the hotel in Japan at which we stayed. The best were at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, which had the automated motion sensing open and close and flush functions.

I never knew I needed those until that stay. I missed them the moment we arrived at Suiran and the RC Kyoto, and still again at the StR Osaka. We are in the process of possibly upgrading a few of ours at home now with the same option.

I’ve suggested them as part of the upcoming room/suite renovations at the StR San Francisco. Dare to dream. Enoteca Pinchiorri also had them a few weeks ago while we were dining there in Florence.
I've brought some of the top of the line Toto models home from Japan as upgrades. You might want to do the same!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.