FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Zanzibar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1931697-zanzibar.html)

Musken Sep 21, 18 2:18 am

Zanzibar
 
Hi,

Thinking about going to Zanzibar end of February next year. Would like to stay a few nights at Emerson Spice and combine that with a beach location. Recommendations?

SilverSpoon Sep 21, 18 3:12 am


Originally Posted by Musken (Post 30228545)
Hi,

Thinking about going to Zanzibar end of February next year. Would like to stay a few nights at Emerson Spice and combine that with a beach location. Recommendations?

I thoroughly recommend Mnemba Island in Zanzibar. Very private, unspoilt and only 12 beach villas.

Avoid The Residence like the plague, we had the misfortune of staying there two nights and it's one of my worst hotel experiences ever. Crowded by the pool, awful food and service and the rooms and public areas are shabby and unkempt.

Musken Sep 21, 18 4:13 am

Thank you for the tip. Looks beautiful, but rates very very high (usd 1750 per person/night). Does include a lot but still...

SilverSpoon Sep 21, 18 4:42 am

I've been place with rates equal or higher than Mnemba where I've been disappointed by the value for money whereas in my opinion Mnemba is worth every penny. But you have to like barefoot luxury.

Musken Sep 21, 18 6:21 am


Originally Posted by SilverSpoon (Post 30228730)
I've been place with rates equal or higher than Mnemba where I've been disappointed by the value for money whereas in my opinion Mnemba is worth every penny. But you have to like barefoot luxury.


OK. Will seriously consider it, but we are three persons and I cannot even find a stay longer (4 for 2) or "kids for free"-offer (well, maybe not relevant anymore as our son is 15) so an alternative would be great.

MacMyDay Sep 21, 18 6:41 am

I cannot vouch for it, but this caught my eye earlier this year.

Home - Xanadu


Musken Sep 21, 18 7:37 am


Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 30228967)
I cannot vouch for it, but this caught my eye earlier this year.

Home - Xanadu


Thank you. Looks interesting. Would love to hear from someone who has been there!!

SilverSpoon Sep 21, 18 8:01 am

I have a friend who stayed here: https://www.whitesandvillas.com/ and loved it.

Leopardz Sep 21, 18 8:22 am

Baraza, which was supposed to be one of the best, was a huge disappointment in terms of food and service considering they charge Aman prices. Beautiful property though. In my opinion Zanzibar is not worth the price of a luxury stay.

SanDiego1K Sep 21, 18 8:46 am

I have not stayed at the Park Hyatt Zanzibar, but recent reports are encouraging.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...er-thread.html

Epicura Sep 21, 18 9:36 am

I am kinda surprised because I did book a client less than 2 months ago at the Residence, and they were extremely happy. There have also been a few good comments on this proerty FWIW. They booked a 2 BR villa with pool for the 5 of them and truly liked it. Their previous trip was Alila Jabal Akhdar, just to put things in perspective.

Of course Mnemba is the best. But like you indicated, it also comes at a cost when travelling with children. In general I do feel like many travellers here are focused on travelling as a couple. Nothing wrong with that and may you all enjoy your trips. But keep in mind that some of us are actually 4, 5 or even more. So we need to at least double our budget.

Did you have a look at the Asilia properties? https://www.asiliaafrica.com/east-af...afari/zanzibar
Also barefoot luxury and much more of the beaten path. If you want more details, just let me know!

I would stay away from the many, many all-in tourist traps like the ones in LHW, Xanadu (sorry Mac!) ... Zanzibar is indeed very touristy and is sold as an AI destination for EU package travellers. Be aware!

Epicura Sep 21, 18 9:38 am


Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 30229336)
I have not stayed at the Park Hyatt Zanzibar, but recent reports are encouraging.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...er-thread.html

Nice hotel to visit Stonetown but not a beach hotel. From that point of view: located on the worst location of the island.

Kagehitokiri Sep 21, 18 10:05 am

consider somewhat to the south ?

private island
- andbeyond mnemba - Zanzibar Archipelago
- azura quilalea - Quirimbas Archipelago
- anantara medjumbe - Quirimbas Archipelago

not private island >

- vamizi - andbeyond - Quirimbas Archipelago

benguerra - Bazaruto Archipelago
- andbeyond
- azura

- Bazaruto - anantara - Bazaruto Archipelago

(andbeyond may offer multi destination discount)

edit - ah, no nonstop flights from zanzibar to pemba

Musken Sep 21, 18 10:51 am


Originally Posted by Musken (Post 30229108)
Thank you. Looks interesting. Would love to hear from someone who has been there!!

Sold out for our dates.

Musken Sep 21, 18 11:35 am


Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30229673)
consider somewhat to the south ?

private island
- andbeyond mnemba - Zanzibar Archipelago
- azura quilalea - Quirimbas Archipelago
- anantara medjumbe - Quirimbas Archipelago

not private island >

- vamizi - andbeyond - Quirimbas Archipelago

benguerra - Bazaruto Archipelago
- andbeyond
- azura

- Bazaruto - anantara - Bazaruto Archipelago

(andbeyond may offer multi destination discount)


We only have a week, so we will stay in Zanzibar I think.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:21 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.