- azura quilalea - Quirimbas Archipelago
- anantara medjumbe - Quirimbas Archipelago

not private island >

- vamizi - andbeyond - Quirimbas Archipelago

benguerra - Bazaruto Archipelago
- andbeyond
- azura

- Bazaruto - anantara - Bazaruto Archipelago

(andbeyond may offer multi destination discount)
I like your suggestions but keep in mind this is far awar from Zanzibar as you are recommending Mozambique. I do plan Mozambique for this Christmas (I know!) so will make sure to report back.

Apart from that, &Beyond is great. Really nice agents to work with, overall a great company. If you don't mind the distance, do have a look!

@Musken please have a look at this perhaps? Ras Kutani Camp | Selous Safari Camp
I only know this place because some member did recommend this property on this board (in a more general Tanzania thread). I really wanted to visit this one last July but 1 night was just too short given the transfers etc. I still have this one on my list and it seems very enjoyable for a family beach holiday.

On the other hand there's also Maffia Island of course but there you can only opt for 2 beach shacks ("comfortable" at best) versus the incredible Thanda private island. But the latter is only worth a look if you are at least 8 people.

Also worth a note: Frégate (Seychelles) does offer free nights atm when booked via a few travel agents. Non public offer but it is there. They are also quite generous towards adding -18 years olds to parent's villa.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:25 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
I thoroughly recommend Mnemba Island in Zanzibar. Very private, unspoilt and only 12 beach villas.
We’ve toyed with Mnemba Island for years, but do be aware there is no air con. The diving there is supposed to be so incredible that I’ve still considered it despite its lack of air con. But seriously...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:05 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I really struggled in the open rooms at Jade Mountain in St Lucia with no air conditioning however I didn't find it a problem with Mnemba Island as there is a gentle breeze through the room the whole time.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by Epicura
I am kinda surprised because I did book a client less than 2 months ago at the Residence, and they were extremely happy. There have also been a few good comments on this proerty FWIW. They booked a 2 BR villa with pool for the 5 of them and truly liked it. Their previous trip was Alila Jabal Akhdar, just to put things in perspective.

Of course Mnemba is the best. But like you indicated, it also comes at a cost when travelling with children. In general I do feel like many travellers here are focused on travelling as a couple. Nothing wrong with that and may you all enjoy your trips. But keep in mind that some of us are actually 4, 5 or even more. So we need to at least double our budget.

Did you have a look at the Asilia properties? https://www.asiliaafrica.com/east-af...afari/zanzibar
Also barefoot luxury and much more of the beaten path. If you want more details, just let me know!

I would stay away from the many, many all-in tourist traps like the ones in LHW, Xanadu (sorry Mac!) ... Zanzibar is indeed very touristy and is sold as an AI destination for EU package travellers. Be aware!
Honestly I can't even begin to describe now bad The Residence was:

1. A big room but shabby. We had a garden room which looked on to a shabby garden. The beach view rooms could easily be seen into from the beach.
2. The grounds could have been beautiful but the gardens weren't watered so they were arid.
3. Service was well meaning but confused.
4. Food was terrible. Buffets for dinner and breakfast. No a la carte option at breakfast, we had to queue around a buffet where the cooked food was cold and congealed. My husband who isn't even very fussy about food couldn't eat it. One night we had a 'private dinner' on the beach but rather awkwardly we were one of three couples. Food at this meal was awful, lobster covered in some weird yogurt sauce.
5. Though each villa had a private pool, the main pool was crowded and no free seats.
6. Our arrival struck a negative note. The transfer didn't pick us up at the airport and we ended up having to get a taxi to the hotel. We had no local currency and the hotel had to pay the taxi driver. They stood there arguing price with him while we stood tired and bewildered not even offered a seat let alone a drink.

Our time at Mnemba couldn't have been more different.

Having said all that, this was two years ago and even when we arrived there was a new GM who recognised the problems and was looking to implement changes.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Musken
We only have a week, so we will stay in Zanzibar I think.
Have a look at Kilindi Musken. Friends of mine liked very much.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Based on your feedback we looked at the different options and decided to go to ..............

Bangkok.

Sometimes I am a little indecisive. Thanks a lot anyway.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Recommend Constance Aiyana. It's on Pemba island (Zanzibar, not Mozambique). Had a great stay there in July after a few night at the Park Hyatt. It's a bit of a trek - flight to Pemba followed by 1.5 to 2 hr overland transit, but well worth it imo.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

boat from zanzibar?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler
Recommend Constance Aiyana. It's on Pemba island (Zanzibar, not Mozambique). Had a great stay there in July after a few night at the Park Hyatt. It's a bit of a trek - flight to Pemba followed by 1.5 to 2 hr overland transit, but well worth it imo.
+1 for Constance Aiyana, very laid back barefoot hotel with all amenities.

Beach pristine, unfortunately swimmable only during high tide.

Have to look for photos and post a write-up if anyone is interested?
bhrubin and DCtrAAveler like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I heard great things about Klindi when I was there. Wish we stayed there.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Any recent reports from andBeyond Mnemba? I've admittedly been turned off by some of the older reviews mentioning that the so-called private island isn't all that private. That said, other than a handful of bad reviews the overwhelming majority of folks have liked it. As always, welcome any thoughts from this trusted group of experts!

Additionally, if anyone has any other recommendations for a private island-esque stay to add on to a safari in Rwanda/Tanzania, am all ears.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by sfoactuary

Additionally, if anyone has any other recommendations for a private island-esque stay to add on to a safari in Rwanda/Tanzania, am all ears.
Also interested, so bumping! Our agent has us for a few days at Zuri Zanzibar, but we'd like to extend the trip longer (good snorkeling a plus) prior to going back home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.